Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm looking for groups and companies who donate money to backpackers/travelers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-looking-for-groups-and-companies-who-donate-money-to-backpackers-travelers-369367/)

yesmar82787 Oct 16th, 2003 05:32 PM

I'm looking for groups and companies who donate money to backpackers/travelers

My friend and I will be going backpacking next summer and I was wondering if their were any companies, or groups that donate money? I've heard their are some but i don't know the names.

caf Oct 16th, 2003 05:46 PM

I'm going to Italy next Spring and would also like someone to give me money. Four-star hotels are so darn expensive! And the dollar isn't what it used to be!

yesmar82787 Oct 16th, 2003 05:48 PM

haha, thats not what I meant. I was talking more about a group that can sponsor teens who wish to go to europe. I've heard they exist.

Christina Oct 16th, 2003 07:08 PM

I guess your trip to France made you want to go back. I read your trip report and enjoyed it very much.

I'm curious about where you heard of what you are asking (I've never heard of such a thing myself so can't help)? I just don't know why a company would give someone money to bum around Europe for free.

I have heard of some fellowships or volunteer programs from Rotary clubs to students to go to Europe to study a language or do volunteer work. I think you have to pay your airfare, spending money, etc., but some host families may give you room and board for free. Here is a link about that program:
http://www.rotary.org/programs/youth_ex/index.html

There are many volunteer-type programs where you may get room and board while doing volunteer work abroad, or the fees you pay are very cheap for room and board. There are lots of web sites about those kinds of opportunities. Those require you to stay in one place and actually work, at least part of the day, of course.

jor Oct 16th, 2003 07:33 PM

Check out the Army National Guard. They give you free travel training and send you off to Iraq with a backpack, all expenses paid!

cmt Oct 16th, 2003 07:40 PM

You could offer lawn mowing, leaf raking, snow shoveling, pooper scooping, house cleaning, car washing, errand running, car washing, and other services in exchange for contributions to your travel fund.

Betsy Oct 16th, 2003 07:41 PM

You might try the Bank of Mom and Dad.

KathyNZ Oct 17th, 2003 01:41 AM

Aren't we all!!!!

yesmar82787 Oct 17th, 2003 03:40 AM

haha, well i first heard about these programs through AFS. They sent me a booklet of information saying that their are specific companies who donate their money for students who wish to travel abroad. Then upon returning, you are required to write an article about your experiences, and visit their company and give a personal presentation. They don't fund the whole thing obviously, they just simply donate a little bit.

Maira Oct 17th, 2003 04:13 AM

Only such groups I heard of are called Banks and the process is called a loan. :->

TamT Oct 17th, 2003 07:01 AM

Thanks Jor,

I needed that! 8-)

Kay_M Oct 17th, 2003 07:10 AM

I haven't heard of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if companies DID do this- perhaps you'd have to plaster yourself with corporate logos or something. Apparently people get companies to "sponsor" their weddings now, in exchange for advertising at the wedding. Like gown was provided by so and so, cake by blah blah, flowers by who who, and so on.

Bitter Oct 17th, 2003 07:18 AM

As suggested, please check with a local Rotarian. Some groups sponsor students. Usually, it is a little more structured than "backpacking", but the tradeoff may be well worth it. Rotary groups also fund semesters abroad. I think this is for post-graduate education only. No one I know if (other than people called "Mom" or "Dad") gives young adults money just to bum around. The tongue in cheek suggestions above about working and saving are valid. Also, I've read travelogues about young adults who find work while traveling abroad to stretch their money.

Christina Oct 17th, 2003 09:44 AM

I wasn't familiar with AFS, but viewed their web site -- it looks like something similar to Rotary. In general, it's a social service or volunteer affiliation, it sounds like, plus some student exchanges. Their website doesn't imply you can get handouts just to bum around Europe. They do mention that some corporations may give "scholarships" to students of their own employees. I imagine that's what you are remembering. So, you would have to check with your parents' company. I would say in this economy -- dream on that your parent's employer is going to give you money to backpack. You are lucky nowadays if they give tuition assistance for classes related to your own job and most companies are getting pretty stingy with benefits to their own employees. Also, "scholarships" implies going abroad to study, not just travel around.

The AFS website does suggest you contact their US office for information on funding, so why don't you do that. After all, if they are making this statement, they should be able to name some companies that do it.

tomboy Oct 17th, 2003 12:38 PM

There IS a group that gives travelers money to spend abroad, called e m p l o v e r s
As I understand the concept, one performs activities one wouldn't do for free, then the recipient of these activities gives one the money, following which one refrains from spending said money. Works every time, which is more than one can some of some folks. Not only that, but it's good training for adulthood. The alternative, just being given money, is good training for the welfare state.

yesmar82787 Oct 21st, 2003 03:38 PM

wow, people on fodors are truely funny.

Graziella5b Oct 21st, 2003 06:34 PM

Hi LOL but also it made me think a lot.....what a question!!!!!!

Sjoerd Oct 21st, 2003 09:32 PM

http://www.letmestayforaday.com

worldtraveler87 Oct 25th, 2003 09:36 AM

Yesmar,

I can't believe so many people made fun of this question. Tons of people have come on this site and asked dumb questions. But this isn't one of them. I have heard of these groups who give students money to go backpacking. I can't remember their names at this moment, but i assure you, they are out there.