I'm going to wear shorts in italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, leaving today for Rome, Naples, and Sicily, and I'm going to wear chino knee-length shorts during the day with polo shirts and athletic shoes. Is this a mortal sin, or just a venial one?
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:01 AM

You'll be fine-buon viaggio!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM

Go for it. But it'll be hot hot hot - so maybe rethink the athletic shoes. Oooh sweaty feet.

And remember - no bare knees in churches.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:04 AM

It'll be a sin if you don't.

Have a great trip and fill us in when you get back.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:04 AM

I can only speak to Rome, but the answer is "venial." Even the dressier clothing I brought to Rome looked a bit shabby compared to the natives.

On the other hand, it's August and a lot of the locals are off on vacation visiting other places.

Sure you will stick out as a tourist, but big deal -- the city is full of tourists. The weather can be very warm, why not dress for it? Just make sure the shoulders are covered and the shorts are long enough if you're day includes visits to churches.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:05 AM

Gosh, the outfit you describe will be both comfortable and sensible. That alone is enough to send you straight to Fodors Fashion Hell!

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:25 AM

I saw a picture of the young female Italian lawyer for the would-be suicide terrorist who escaped to Rome. She was speaking to dozens of reporters, and wearing a tank top with her bra straps showing. If that's acceptable in her position, I'm sure shorts will be fine in yours .
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:32 AM

You will be a prime target for pickpockets in Naples wearing shorts--like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I am sure you will also wave your wallet and credit cards around and take the train after dark. Have fun at the police station.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM

To complete the look, you must wear a fanny pack stuffed to the max, at least one video and one regular camera slung around your shoulder, and a baseball cap worn backwards. Your favorite sports team logo emblazoned on the shirt and chewing gum wouldn't hurt, either.
This is how my dad insisted on traveling.
But I drew the line at his idea of wearing his neck pounch stuffed into a back pocket with the string hanging out.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:57 AM
lyb

WillTravel,

I saw the picture of the lawyer as well, and my first thought was "Doesn't she know that EVERYONE in Italy dresses perfect? My God, she almost looks like a tourist...I hope no Fodorites will see her!"
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:05 AM

I live in Washington DC where there are a lot of international visitors, and last weekend I was next to two young 20-30ish Italian men on the metro (I could hear them talking in Italian and know they were from Italy) -- who were both wearing shorts!!! They had some casual athletic-type shoes, also--the shorts were the typical kneelength thing you see nowadays. What nerve, it bothered me all weekend that Italian tourists wear shorts in my fair city on the metro, I couldn't think of anything else.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:10 AM

Gosh, Christina, I certainly hope these nice Italian men were not pickpocketed in our nation's capitol! I mean, shorts, athletic shoes - they would have been waving that "red flag" and all.

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

When I see tourists in New York, often they are wearing far worse things than knee-length shorts. My thoughts are, in this order:

1. I hope they have a good time.

2. I hope they can figure out the subway system.

3. Spend money, please!

It's the Thirty Years War with the shorts issue, I know
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
KT

I've had an even more traumatic experience than Christina's. I've spent time with Italians wearing shorts...in Italy! I was so humiliated. Obviously, they had been badly brought up and had never been informed that Italians don't wear shorts.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM

Thingorgus...you had me ROLLING.

Thanks for the laugh today. I must have needed it.

Jules
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:25 AM

Sure, wear them. Just don't count on visiting inside any cathedrals/churches.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
KT

Clarification: it was the Italians who were wearing shorts, not I. I don't think they even went to confession afterwards.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

ThinGorjus:

Actually, I'm just going to pass out American flag lapel pins to those nice Gypsy families always wandering around. Maybe they'll be nice enough to take my picture for me if I lend them my camera!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM

You'll be fine and comfortable. There are plenty of everything in Italy. We wore shorts and so did many many others we encountered. Just be aware that if you plan on going into St. Peters you may need to cover up a bit. And atheletic shoes may be hot , but comfortable for long walking.

If worried about blending in and not looking like a tourist don't bother, one can easily pick out non Italians and not just by the clothing.

Have a great comfortable trip.

Travelatte
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. I just like to worry.

For the anti-athletic shoe crowd: running shoes with ultralight Coolmax socks. And yes, I plan to run when I'm there. Can't fit that many shoes in a small bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -