Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm drinking Limoncello right now and it's your fault!!!

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:42 AM
cherylforeurope

Was reading the post about buying it online...I
wondered what this stuff was as I kept seeing it mentioned. Even read the old post and since, well...I love lemonade...off I went to our local
liquor store. Being from Pennsylvania we only
sell the stuff at special "liquor" stores. Lucky for me it's only about 2 miles. There it was...directly from Italy (via NJ) with Sorrento lemons. Only 3 ingredients!

I'm smiling ...it's wonderful! There's another reason to love Italy...even though I
discovered it at home!

So when my husband sees this...what can I say..a gift from Fodors!!

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it delicious? I just saw some at a local liquor store last week, but it was a lot more expensive than what I paid in Italy last month!

Do keep it in the freezer!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I have a wee bit most every nite on my sherbert--it is addictive.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:08 AM

My mother introduced me to Limoncello. I had never heard of it and went to the store for it. SOLD OUT!! Evidently it is the new rage. She put it with some club soda and it worked for us.

Now the future wife and I will go and try it from the homeland.
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 06:09 AM

It's delicious in hot tea. If I didn't have to go to work in 1/2 hour I would have some right now.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Hello,

My name is Melodie and I'm a Limoncello addict....

not really, but I could be construed as one because I have THREE bottles from our recent trip to Italy! (yeah, I'm working on the trip report)....

OK, Bottle #1 was bought because we planned to buy a bottle, and drink it with my friend Rose, who makes her own Limoncello....so, basically, a tasting of which is better (and we know who's going to win that one, don't we?)!

Bottle #2 was purchased in Amalfi as I walked into a shop and saw "Melodie Limoncello! I mean, c'mon...I don't really have a common name and I never see stuff with my name on it, we HAD to buy it.

Bottle #3 was CREAM Limoncello....(think Baileys). Well, we didn't even know it came that way, so we had to get that one too!

We'll be having a "tasting" with Rose's homemade stuff vs. our authentic Limoncello in the near future (and Italian foods as well)!

Melodie
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lol, great! My grandfather made his own and it was better than any I have bought, or at least the sentiment makes it seem so, No matter
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Love the stuff! First got some in Capri and lucky for me the local Trader Joe's carries it!

I also like to make lemon pasta with it.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:57 PM

annw,
Lemon pasta with limoncello, that sounds yummy...please share the recipe.

I am learning a lot from this post, limoncello in tea, over sorbet, in pasta, yum...my life will get better and better soon
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Oh, yes, annw, please share your recipe for lemon pasta!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
prettyfatgirl

Wow! What does Limoncello taste like? Does it taste like a lemon vodka? They have it here at the local Trader Joe's and I have been tempted to try it, but since I am not a big alcohol drinker, I wasn't sure.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM

a friend made a sorbet for me using the limocello, follow any sorbet recipe .
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Limoncello at Trader Joe's? I've been looking in the wrong aisles!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Hi prettyfatgirl, if you like the taste of lemon you will no doubt like Limoncello. Do keep it in the freezer. And don't drink to much at one time if you don't want a headache. I personally love it! Never thought about using it over pasta, I would love the receipe also annw..thanks!
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:29 PM

We were introduced to limoncello on the Amalfi Coast during our trip for our 30th anniversary. We couldn't find it in any of the stores at the time so we started making it ourselves with the 80 day method. IT IS GREAT, and so easy to make. We've compared it with limoncellos we've bought and we, and many of our friends, like ours better because they say it's smoother. We make a batch or two a year and give it away as gifts in decorative bottles. Many of the restaurants along the Amalfi Coast make their own also. Drink it straight, with soda, on fruit, with sparkling wine, or sprinkle it on angel food cake. Anyway you do it, it's great!
[email protected]
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:34 PM

jerry would you like my address
holidays coming up lol
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Pasta fresca "Nettuno"
A superbly summery fresh pasta dish.

120gms of fresh home-made pasta already boiled. Fry courgettes gently with onion, add Limoncello di Capri and let it evaporate, mix in saffron, an finally, the smoked mozzarella cheese, a ladle of the water used to boil the pasta, basil, and Parmesan cheese, another dash of Limoncello di Capri, mix and serve.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Sorry. Hit the post button too fast.

Got the pasta recipe off the limoncello.com website. That's all it has, no amount of ingredients for the cheese, etc.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM
prettyfatgirl

Ok, so can someone describe the flavor of limoncello to me? I am sooo willing to go and buy a bottle of it....but I would like to have an idea of what i should mix it with....does it taste like a limon syrup that has alcohol? do it taste like bacardi limon or absolut citron or something diferent altogether?

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 08:07 PM

Hi PFG, when I have limoncello I just pour it into a tiny little glass, actually I have a limoncello glass. Just about the size of a shot glass. I don't mix it with anything. And none of my friends in Italy do either.
Again, if you like lemons you will probably like limoncello. Just buy a bottle and see if you do. CinCin!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -