Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > I'm deciding between Devon and the Cotswolds, and I need your help (m)

I'm deciding between Devon and the Cotswolds, and I need your help (m)

Oct 24th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I'm deciding between Devon and the Cotswolds, and I need your help (m)

Hi,

This is my first message (and trip to England)so please bear (or bare?) with me. My husband and I are going to England with our 3 years old child in April. The plan is to spend a few days in London and to rent a cottage in the countryside for a week. I've heard the Cotswolds are nice, but I have no idea whether to go north or south. Also, I'm wondering if we should stay in Devon instead. I'm assuming that April won't be too touristy. Please offer suggestions. Thank you.
Oct 24th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Hi Gulliver. What are your issues/questions between the 2 areas? If you're going around Easter, it may be busy everywhere. The beginning of April can still be cold & wet. What do you want to do while staying in the country?
Oct 24th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

We plan on renting a car so that we can visit different villages. Since we have a young child, serious hiking is not really an option. We also don't need fancy restaurants. I guess we want to relax, tour castles, walk around and soak up the atomosphere. I would love to find things to entertain my child, but also want to meet our grownup needs as well. Does this help?
Oct 24th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Both areas are really wonderful - I know that doesn't help you choose. But you really can't go wrong either way. I would look for a fantastic cottage within 10 miles of Burford/Stow-on-the-Wold, or somewhere in south Devon - say, on the coast somewhere between Brixham and Plymouth.

Either location would put you within less than an hour's drive of more things than you could possibly see in a week.
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:46 PM

i've travelled with a 7 yearold to Cornwall...beautiful in any weather at any time of year...the is also the Eden Project...do some research...amazing day trip! www.cottages4you.co.uk is a great place to start and may i suggest property #16029 for location!
Oct 24th, 2003, 11:04 PM

Here are a couple of really good agencies with a lot of Cotswold properties:

- Cottage in the Country www.cottageinthecountry.co.uk Terrific agency with cottages in the Cotswolds, Thames Valley, Berkshire, Warwickshire and others areas. From £190 to £500+

- Manor Cottages & Cotswold retreats www.manorcottages.co.uk Cotswold-based agency with properties of all sizes. £200 to £850 per week. Most in the £300 - £400 range
Oct 25th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Hello gulliver,

Two years ago my wife and I stayed at a cottage in the 'center' of the Cotswolds. It was super, with tons of things to do for adults and children.

Would we do it again, a resounding yes. And, we highly recommend this area (from someone that does not recommend much outside of Scotland and Ireland).

Have a great trip.
Oct 25th, 2003, 05:57 AM

I was born in Plymouth so I will readily declare my bias. Somewhere in that part of S Devon would give you far more variety; coast, lovely river valleys and Dratmoor. E-mail me if you want my notes and URLs
[email protected]

Search this Thread