Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm cleaning house. What are you doing to prepare for your trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today is Friday. I leave for Amsterdam, Bruges, Antwerp and Brussels on Thursday. Besides the regular packing, setting up the pet sitter, having copies of hotel reservations, credit cards, passport etc.; I'm cleaning house. When I get home after two weeks in mediocre hotels (going semi-low budget), I want to come home to clean bedding, mopped floors, semi-dust free furniture, and basically no mess. And so, this weekend I'm cleaning house. What are you doing to prepare?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Since it's Saint Patrick's Day, I'm having fun with my Irish wife, but we're not leaving for our around the world trip till May.I think we'll have someone do our cleaning before we arrive home. Mike
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM

I always clean before I go on a trip. In case the plane crashes I don't want people to go to my house and say, "he was such a nice guy, but he was dirty".
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM

We're leaving Wednesday morning. I still have to get dog stuff for the sitter, pack, make certain I have everything on my packing list, going to visit the grandkids this weekend 3 hours away, and clean the house for houseguests/sitters who are coming Sunday night. Oh yes, I have to finish paying the bills and wrap up on work-related issues. Where's the Prozac??
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Don't forget to contact the post office and have them hold your mail until you return. The old way to do this is the fill out a card at the post office. Did you know you can do this online or even over the phone?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I'm taking care of my taxes and grinding my teeth in anticipation - time is crawling by. What are the chances time will drag like this during my trip?

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Wow , those were quick replies.
BarbMike, yeah, after a year, no matter how much you clean, it will be icky upon return
Richard, gruesome, but so funny and true
Capmunn, WHOA! Good luck with all that! Hang in there. The positive thing is you'll settle into your most comfy plane seat and smile, as you inhale recycled air, dreaming of the adventures that await you.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM

Bonjour TamaraEden,

- Clean the house, redirect the mail, find a pet sitter.

- Wait for the latest moment possible to inform my elderly next door neighbor I'm away for 3 weeks.

- Stiffen the sinuses, visit said neighbor, sit through 1 our of whining about how she'll have to wake up early for the next 3 Tuesdays in order to put the dustbin out, could I bring back a bottle of whisky ("no way !&quot, why didn't I bring her a bottle of whisky last time ("because you already dring too much&quot, 3 weeks is much too long, and will I really not be able to bring her a bottle of whisky.

- spend 3 blissful weeks away from said neighbor.

- come back and find neighbor at the door (she's heard the car), sit through 1 hour session of complaints ("so you're back, and not too early. Did you bring whisky, are you going to take care of the dustbins again, why no whisky, can you drive me to the shops tonight, ...&quot.

I obviously don't need to find my house in a mess on top of it.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I'm currently preparing for a trip that is a few weeks away.

Of course, clean the living space and cover the furniture.

Post is already set.

Write tons and tons of real letters because I like to return and have friend mail waiting for me.

Go overboard on Pilates because I always miss my studio here.

Testdrive all new shoes to avoid blisters (this can take days!).

Clean (and dry clean) winter garments, pack them up, and take them to storage.

Have a garage sale to get rid of any life build up.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Good post! We're leaving next Sunday and are doing the cleaning, packing and pet stuff. But thanks for the post, I forgot that I still have to go to the post office
to hold our mail.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Stop the newspapers.

If you have a neighbor you can trust, let them have a key in case of emergency and let them know whether or not a truck should be stopping at your house while you're gone and hauling away some or all of your possessions.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Thanks, Richardab for the reminder about the mail. That's one less thing for our houseguests/sitters to worry about.

TamaraEden, I'm really looking forward to relaxing once I get on the plane. Can't wait to see Prague and Venice again!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:06 AM

My sympathies, Florence, on the unpleasant neighbor!

Stopping mail and newspapers is the main thing to do before leaving. I also shut off the main water valve.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

If you live in the states, simply go to the USPS website and click on the resident button. You can stop mail for an extended period of time without having to go wait in line at the post office.

Oh, and don't forget to call your credit cards to notify them you're traveling.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM

4 weeks to go, trying to decide to get my hair cut now...or wait a bit and get the full deal, pedicure, manicure and hair cut. Something easy...
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Great thread! Lots of good reminders.

Have a fabulous time, Tamara.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Thanks for your suggestion TamaraEden, I just held my mail with the USPS website. Very easy!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 11:13 AM

don't forget to call your credit card companies and tell them u will be charging stuff from europe.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM

In addition to doing all the things other posters have mentioned I will put up all my usual Easter decorations. We leave in eleven days and will return just before Easter. Working on the menu for the annual Easter Sunday Brunch for twenty people.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Well, you guys are wimps! (just kidding...) I leave next Friday for two weeks in France and tomorrow morning my step-daughter arrives with her super-active twin 5 y.o. boys! That's my run-up to departure! They leave Wednesday, leaving me approximately 36 hours to finalize preparations. And whose idea was this, do you ask? (not mine...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -