Search

I'm a Newbie

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Newbie

I heard you are a rough crowd so may I please ask these questions?

What is the correct way to head a post?

What is the correct way to word a post?

Must I read several quide books and do research online before asking questions?

Thank you
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Welcome to Fodor's, travelaway! Where on earth did you hear that we're a rough crowd? Actually we're as soft as butter and very willing to answer your travel questions, well most of us fit that description. For tips on posting, read the FAQ at:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:24 PM

No, it is not a rough crowd. There are just a few rough people in it.

The correct way to head a post is to be as specific as possible. Example of a bad heading: "HELP!" Example of a good heading: "Looking for a good Paris hotel under 150 Euros" (after which, you explain in your message that you have already researched previous threads on this subject.)

You do not have to read several guides and do research online before asking questions, but there is not a lot of patience for people who prefer to do NOTHING except ask questions without looking at even the most basic information that is available.

You're welcome.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34820174

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM

It is not so much that Fodorites are a rough crowd as it is a large crowd so there is a rough minority, but most of us are marshmallows, really, and we all were newbies at one time. So ultimately, like your favorite college prof. would say, "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask."
Head a post - boil your question down to 4 or 5 words
Word a post - be specific and give us as much info about where you are at with your decision making as you can.
On-line research - by all means - just like anything else on the Internet - anything you read on this thread is subject to all the frailties of humankind - so you should try to verify any info you see here with other sources, if possible. SEveral guide books? Well, no, but the guide books will help you focus on areas you find you need extra info on, and that is where this thread can really help.
The only time I've seen things get rough here is when somebody asks a qustion that is answered in a lot of places.. Example: I just traveled for the first itme to Paris. Every guide book, every chat room, every web site, plus anyone who has ever travelled to Paris all unanimously state that the Metro system is easy. But every once in a while, someone will post a question: "I've heard the Metro is impossible, and my husband just won the lottery and wants to take me there and stay in a five-star hotel, but I'm scared, so what should I do." Fodorites answer: Use a portion of the lottery money, dose yourself with a bunch of Quaaludes, and stop being such a moron."
OK? That's about as rough as it gets. I'm sure your question is not that dumb, so just ask it.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 08:07 PM

I've seen some posters that we are soft as butter. Then I heard we are marshmallows. But, if the posts are checked, we spend a lot of discussion about peanut butter.

Blackduff
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM

I try to not respond to posts that make me cranky, but occasionally, I run afoul of one of my pet peeves on this board. To me, they are fairly simple rules of board ettiquette. So, for whatever help it might be to you in avoiding cranky posters, here are my pet peeves on this board:

<b>Titles not specific enough:</b> On a bad day, I may be put off by a title like: HELP! when I open the post to find the subject is Dubrovnic, which I know nothing about.

<b>Questions Already Recently Answered in Multiple Other Threads:</b> Learn to use the search feature. Save other posters the trouble of reinventing the wheel.

<b>Lazy Planners:</b> I am put off by requests for help by people who obviously haven't made even a minimal effort to educate themselves before asking for advice here. Buy a guidebook and do some reading. People on this site love travel and will turn themselves inside out to help you, but it's kind of silly for them to do that when you've done nothing to acquaint yourself about the basics of a country or city you'll be visiting.

<b>Vague Requests:</b> Requests for help with an itinerary in a city, for example, that tell nothing about the poster's interests. Tell us something about your interests, for example, when asking for advice about &quot;What to do in Vienna.&quot;

Similarly, while I don't think you need to go further than &quot;Dubrovnic Hotels&quot; in your title, I appreciate it when the body of the message inside provides an idea of your budget requirements. Are you looking for a budget hotel? Mid-range? Luxury?

<b>Dabblers:</b> Requests for help that make me believe that the person asking for help is not serious. If you are just daydreaming and really don't have a trip in the works, it's only fair to make that clear, so people can decide how much energy to invest in a reply.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:50 PM

well said, all of you.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Funny, how you, being a &quot;newbie&quot; seem to already know a lot of regulars' hot button issues. Hmmmm
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:31 AM

As you can see. there are a few cynics in the crowd, too, who enjoy that as opposed to answering questions.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 02:48 AM

And which question did you answer, Dukey?
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:59 AM
amaclise

It may be a rough crowd but it is definitely an insular crowd as well. There seem to be many who are here more for each other and feel (due to longevity) that the board is their home on the internet more so than a place for travel planning and advice.

As a result there seem to be all these unwritten rules. This makes it hard for people who come here seeking advice from a respected name - Fodor's.

Read the FAQ's - that's the only advice you need. That, and to try to ignore the inevitable negativity you will get from some.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Well said Mary Fran !
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
amaclise-
If you want advice from Fodor's you can find it in their guidebooks or on the Destinations part of this website. The kind posters who reply to questions on this Forum are not Fodor's... we are individual people sharing first-hand travel information with others who ask questions in areas we know about.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure, ask away.

A title with specifics such as the city name or subject of your inquiry, will likely, but not necessarily, get you the most pertinent replies.

Word your post however you like.

No you don't have to do any research before starting a thread. But, as with the title, the more specific question you ask, including details (how long? what budget? age? interests?) the more likely you will get useful replies.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM
rex

&lt;&lt; Head a post - boil your question down to 4 or 5 words &gt;&gt;

I know of no advice to do this, from fodor's - - nor any advantage of a 5 word message header over 10, 20 words or more...

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34821852

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM

This is the best place to be, rough crowd or not, if you're a travel fanatic. Without my daily, (and sometimes all day) dose of this forum, I would drive my family and friends nuts. The information is good, the posters sincere, knowledgable people and many are very clever and entertaining. Don't worry about a few tough guys.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:56 AM
amaclise

Don't take too much offense suze, I am merely stating the facts. You know I mean the reason people come to the site in the first place is because of the Fodor's name.

And it IS Fodor's who owns the boards. You are posting under their name.

zwho - I agree.

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM

A rough, ugly crowd?

This mild mannered group is a bunch of cuddly teddy bears compared to the wild mob in my hometown when the ice cream machine at Sizzler Steakhouse breaks down!
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM

As soon as I finished my post and went to bed last night, I thought of a couple of other things newbies sometimes run afoul of, so here are a couple of other of my pet peeves:

<b>People who start multiple threads asking the same question:</b> Not infrequently, I'll find myself starting a reply to a request for advice, when I suddenly realize, &quot;Hey! Wait a minute! This all sounds very familiar! So, I'll click on the original poster's name and find the same person has asked the question previously, perhaps with some variations. A number of people may have offered advice, but their responses have not been acknowledged by the original poster, so there is no way if the original poster has even seen them. It's frustrating for those who took the time to respond.

After you've posted a request for advice, come in at least once a day to check for responses to your request.. If you don't find it easily in scrolling down the left column, type a word from your post in the search box (i.e., &quot;Krakow&quot to bring up a list of posts containing that word and you should quickly find your post in the list.

If you find that your question has not been answered to your satisfaction, add a reply to your original thread to clarify what you need, instead of starting a new thread. For example, if there are few or no responses to your question, you might post a reply that says something like, &quot;Any other ideas?&quot;

<b>The Disappearing Original Poster:</b> In the same vein, all too frequently, I'll post a response to a request for advice, only to find that the Original Poster is never heard from again. There's no way to know if he or she has even bothered to read the suggestions that thoughtful Fodorites have taken the time to post. As suggested above, check in frequently to check for responses to your request, and be sure to acknowledge the suggestions made. Personally, I like to acknowledge and thank each poster who has taken time to respond, but a group acknowledgment will suffice.

I have learned from recent experience that each time I thanked someone, the post came back up to the top and I got more great suggestions from other posters! I suspect that the fact that the OP thanks posters for suggestions encourages others that their contributions will be appreciated, so you'll get lots more responses.

<i>Note: As I write this, the OP is no where in sight, an example of what I'm talking about with the disappearing poster. Oh, well, maybe what we write here will help (or aggravate) another newbie.</i>

<b>Insular crowd:</b> This is just bunk. I'm certainly not part of any kind of in-crowd, and I have never had the sense that I'm on the outside looking in. But I don't come here for a sense of belonging. I come here for travel advice, and I get it in spades. I could not begin to list even half of the gems I've picked up here. There are some great posters here, who invest considerable time and energy to help other posters. We come to know their names over time and become fond of some of them. Some are very funny, some are warm and caring, some are simply a wealth of knowledge. So, maybe that's th &quot;in-crowd.&quot; But the reason they're part of the in-crowd isn't because their Daddy buys them cool clothes, or because they're pretty or handsome, or drive hot cars. (How could they be? They spend all their disposable incom on travel!)

<b>Thin Skins:</b> We have had some posters on this board (ThinGorjus comes to mind), who occasionally lob a harpoon into the boat of a newbie. Learn to shrug it off. You need not respond to posters who seem not to have your best interests at heart - not that I think of ThinGorjus that way. He's a brilliant, witty poster with a sharp tongue. Everybody has a right to be an ass from time to time. Don't take it personally. Be the first to laugh at yourself. If you can craft an equally witty acerbic response, great! But in most cases, it's best to just blow it off, assuming the nasty poster was PWD (Posting While Drunk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -