Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I'm 29, single and going to Rome... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/im-29-single-and-going-to-rome-488754/)

Cdleebunny28 Dec 1st, 2004 05:34 PM

I'm 29, single and going to Rome...

I am joininga tour there, but when I am on my own, where can I go for some nonseedy interaction with Italian men, where I will not be groped or killed? :) I will be alone, so want something upscale, but where I will not feel uncomfortable being alone.... Thanks for your suggestions, everyone.
Dani

ecat Dec 1st, 2004 06:11 PM

What sort of "non-seedy interactions" with men are you talking about? I guess I'm not clear what your question is. You want something upscale, are you talking about a hotel?

In Rome I've never been unwillingly groped let alone killed!

kismetchimera Dec 1st, 2004 06:14 PM

Killed? Rome is not the USA Cdleebunny...

Cdleebunny28 Dec 1st, 2004 06:26 PM

No, just a club or bar is what I'm looking for :)

StCirq Dec 1st, 2004 06:35 PM

CDleebunny28: I don't know a thing about Rome clubs and bars, but I can't imagine being groped or killed in such a place in Rome. Roman men will certainly take an interest in an attractive young American, maybe even more of an interest than you are used to, but it is for the most part harmless and a form of play, and there is NO reason to fear being harmed in any way. Serious crime of that kind rarely happens anywhere in Europe. If you were coming to Washington, DC, I'd give you serious tips on what to avoid, but in Rome I think all you need is common sense, a few good Italian phrases at your tongue-tip, and the good sense not to overimbibe. Know how to call a taxi and get back to your hotel. Romans won't hurt you. Enjoy!

bellastar Dec 1st, 2004 06:48 PM

It's funny, but when I read the title of your thread (which sounds across between teasing and come hither, and then your screen name (short for cuddly bunny?) somehow I don't think you have any problems finding whatever your looking for in no time at all!

I've met some very nice men here and there in Rome, and made some friends, but somehow, it was never when I was consciously searching for them! I think you can just google for nightclubs in Rome, and it will turn up enough results to get you started. My only word of caution is not to drink much at all if you go out by yourself. It's not wise here, and even less wise in Italy.

Good luck to you, enjoy your trip...

ecat Dec 1st, 2004 07:15 PM

I'm not sure where you are staying in what area, but this can help in your search. I also recomend if you haven't already get some guide books and look in the nightlife section. The hotel should be able to direct you too.

Your question really confused me and you've got some good advise from both bellastar & st cirq.

NYCFoodSnob Dec 1st, 2004 08:55 PM

Darling, judging by the wording of your thread you're probably not <i>cool</i> enough to step into the places I frequent. Since I love a great killer grope from any hot Italian man, I suggest you enter my suggestions at your own risk.

The attitude crowd (I think they call us artists) hold court at Bar della Pace. Of course you'll have to swim your way through a sea of smoke and God forbid you enter dressed with no style (ie: think Ohio). You'll turn the room dead quiet with stares if you look like you belong in Kansas (or Cleveland). Not much English here.

For smoke free and dead-on cool with live music (but catering to a younger crowd), Bartaruga may have my Italian cell phone number Sharpied on one of the men's restroom stalls. Just look for the words, &quot;For a <s>good</s> GREAT time call the leggy blond at...&quot; Of course it's written in Italian so be sure to carry your little translator book. Some English spoken here.

I wouldn't call these places upscale even though I've worn fur in both. If you know how to dress like your starring in Sex In The City, you can make any hell-hole &quot;upscale.&quot; Good luck coming home alive.

SeaUrchin Dec 1st, 2004 10:20 PM

Depending on what time of year you are visiting Roma there will be hoards of other young women looking for the same interaction as you are, so be prepared for competition!

Like others have said, dress and act the part, ask around and the action will find you if you don't find it first.

Huitres Dec 1st, 2004 11:46 PM

I can't believe this post! It is not like you are going to some 3rd world country! We are talking Italy here - birth of the Roman Empire and culture. The men are not that obnoxious. If you carry yourself with decorum and dignity, you will not receive unwanted attention. (IMO, I like the attention I receive because Italian men are far more appreciative than American men!) Go to a library, a museum, a cafe -- all harmless places to hang out. If you plan to frequent bars and clubs, then the scene there will be the same as it is here in the U.S.

Scarlett Dec 2nd, 2004 06:07 AM

Since we live in an age of some sort of enlightenment, women find themselves traveling without male companionship or even female companionship and manage to not only return home alive but with many stories of all the great times they had and the kind and wonderful people they met.
I do not see why your experience would be any different, unless you are used to being Groped and Killed at home, so you are wary of doing this abroad?
Since you will be in London also, you might see how things go with the English men, they are known to be &quot;Killers&quot; themselves..why I have two friends that married British men.
Wherever it is you come from, do they not have &quot;upscale&quot; establishements where a single lady can have a drink or a meal without fear of molestation or murder?
If not, then I know this will be new and exciting for you and I wish you luck in your adventures, none of which I think will include your demise.
Happy Travels Ms Bunny~Scarlett

massagediva Dec 2nd, 2004 06:40 AM

NYC Food Snob- I would think someone as erudite as you would know the difference between your and you're. A poser,perhaps?