Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I like the new forum!- No I don't like it!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 12:33 PM
panos

-The new forum is great!<BR>-I don't like it!<BR>-I prefer the old one!<BR>-Now it is better!<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>Tens of posts about the new forum format, as if it has been totally changed! Am I blind? Because I don't see any difference with the old one!<BR>So stop this silly topic NOW! epitelous pia!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 12:37 PM
albert einstein

Yousa! <BR><BR>Stop the madness! <BR><BR>Get back to travel chatter!

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 12:42 PM
Tom Ward

So far I don't like it. I search on Greece and all I get is anything but Greece.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:02 PM
Rex

To Tom Ward:<BR><BR>There are a lot of people here (and especially behind the scenes at Fodor's) that would surely like to know what you are talking about.<BR><BR>When I do a search of Greece, the very first thread on the list (by relevance score) is terrific:<BR><BR>"Want to see the best of Greece in the month of June."<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/messages.cfm?fid=2&amp;tid=1281632&amp;numresponse s=11<BR><BR>What are you looking for? <BR><BR>Is Greece the most specific way you can express what are you seeking?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:18 PM
Tom Ward

In the old system I could select Greece and all the messages that had been posted in the Greece Catagory would come up by date of most recent response. With this new system you don't seem to be able to browse through all the discussions about your topic by date without getting alot of misc. stuff.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:37 PM
Triple-O

tom...<BR><BR>the posts come up by score (relevance). all you have to do to get them by date is to click on "date" right above the first thread (between that and change forum)

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:41 PM
albert einstein

I like the new forum! I don't like you!<BR><BR>Maybe all these whining holier-than-though so-called regulars who can't deal with change will take a hike. Well, some of them anyway. We know the holiest of the holy, Senor Rex, likes the way things are. So he's here to stay. And I say hooray!<BR><BR>Hang in there Luddites, they told me I was crazy when I started talking about relativity.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:44 PM
albert einstein

I like the new forum! I don't like you!<BR><BR>Maybe all these whining holier-than-though so-called regulars who can't deal with change will take a hike. Well, some of them anyway. We know the holiest of the holy, Senor Rex, likes the way things are. So he's here to stay. And I say hooray!<BR><BR>Hang in there. They told me I was crazy when I started talking about relativity.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 01:47 PM
Tom Ward

It seems that when I sort by date it gives me misc. by date. I'm just not getting it.

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 02:03 PM
Triple-O

tom...<BR><BR>1. make sure you're in the europe forum<BR>2. type Greece into the search box<BR>3. when you get the results, click on "date"<BR>4. voila!<BR><BR>i hope this explains things. when i do this i see lots of results.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:44 AM
leo

The type is TOO TINY.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:50 AM
Rex

To leo - - you control the size of the typesize by settings within your own browser.<BR><BR>"View fonts" - - in Internet Explorer<BR><BR>or "View, Increase font" in Netscape Navigator.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:47 AM
leo

I did that and even have my moniter resolution decreased and I still think the font is too tiny for my old eyes.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Ada

<BR>Why are the lines on the new system SO long? It is impossible to read anything without browsing left and right. Very annoying!<BR><BR>Ada

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:46 AM
Betsy

Rex, I have to "increase font size" (Mac) every time I open the forum page, which is annoying; why isn't my change consistent, even after rebooting? The font size on other web pages is huge and consistent since I tried to increase the font size on this page. What else do I need to do?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 01:17 PM
Tom Ward

To be more specific about what I don't like: When I search on "Greece" I get the messages by Relevence. The top messages may be very old. When I hit sort by date the messages are indeed sorted by date but only 15 of the first 50 are directly related to Greece. The first question has a relevence of only 8% and 61 responses to the question. Buried somewhere in there is a reference to Greece. A specific question about Greece does not turn up until the 6th question and then the next is 16th.<BR><BR>I think if anybody thinks this an improvement over the old system they probably didn't understand how to use the old system. In that system you could sort by country with the "Country pulldown" and then you could sort specifically within that country by topic. If you wanted to search the whole europe forum for a subject you could do that by selecting multiple countries.<BR><BR>You could do everything and more with the old system than you can with the new. What has been lost is flexibility and specificity.<BR><BR>Of the dozens of travel forums out there this was my favorite. It was the most convenient, helpful and easy to use. NOW ITS JUST A JUMBLED UP MESS.<BR><BR>CHANGE FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE IS NOT ALWAYS AN IMPROVEMENT.<BR><BR>SORRY TO BE VENTING LIKE THIS BUT WHAT AM I MISSING?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:27 PM
Kay

I don't like the new format. I cannot search on specific country. I have to read through all the messages. <BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 02:37 PM
Meg

Fodor's advertisements and "Business Travel Center" take up fully half of the screen. Then the rest is left for us to view in tiny increments. It's lousy!<BR><BR>I just tried to search "Paris" and I received "0" entries. That is not possible! They seem to have deleted a lot of not so recent threads. <BR><BR>My pet peeve of most sites is their ability to search for the topic you're interested in. This one used to be great, but has deteriorated terribly over the past six months.<BR><BR>Who is minding the store? I just tried to review my reply before I sent it and I can't view the top part of my message.<BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 03:09 PM
Rex

To meg - - <BR><BR>You have two complaints, and I can only offer you suggestions (that you will want to hear) about one of the two.<BR><BR>First, a search for Paris works the same as (or perhaps more comprehensively than) it ever did. But Paris is a HUGE topic. I have NOT observed any such thing as "zero" responses - - but I indeed HAVE seen "no" retrievals because of a timeout error.<BR><BR>Click here<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.cfm?RequestTimeout=15000&amp;fid=2&am p;sort=date&amp;rows=500&amp;searchtext=paris&amp; start=1<BR><BR>and in one fell swoop, you will see the FIVE HUNDRED most recent posts (this is about three weeks' worth - - you can edit the number "rows=" if you want, to some other number) - - not just fifty. The addition of the segment "?RequestTimeout=15000&amp;" might not necessary at other times of the day (the website is VERY busy right now, it appears).<BR><BR>As for not "seeing enough" of the "working meat and potatoes" part of the screen, this site is starting to hear from a few more people like you - - and I have to conclude that your video display is at an older, "lower" resolution (640x480 or 800x600) than many of "the rest of us" who have newer (?) and higher resolution displays - - and are NOT complaining about this.<BR><BR>This is sweeping across the internet - - designers are desgining for larger displays and higher resolution. The time to upgrade your hardware may be closer than you realized.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>