Reload this Page >

I last week of November a good time to go to Italy

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow travelers

We're planning to do an 8 day tour (trafalgar) of Rome, Florence and Venice this thanksgiving week (last week of November). Is this really a good time to travel to Italy. I read in other forums that it is dark, rainy and Venice is usually flooded (acqua alta?) during this time.

help!

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:48 PM
cmt

My only experience with Italy in the month of November was Sicily in mid-November 2002. I thought the weather was very pleasant in Sicily, ranging from quite warm in Palermo to chilly in the Nebrodi Mts., with most places farily warm. In a two-week period, I experienced one day of pretty heavy rain in Cefalù and maybe two days of intermittent drizzle elsewhere. The best thing about November was that it was olice harvest time, so I saw lkots of olive harvesting going on and saw the olive pressing preocess in two small mills in the Nebrodi Mts. and in the Madonie.

I haven't taken any other trips in November, and I don't think I can generalize from my experience except re the olive harvest.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM

Hi Manny,
We traveled to Rome and Venice over Thanksgiving week last year and it was wonderful. We flew into Rome and spent a few days there, the weather was wonderful... only a long sleeve shirt needed. We then took a train to Venice and had wonderful weather as well. We did need a light to medium weight jacket during the evening. We did not experience any rain at all, though we did see lots of the platforms they use during flooding. The crowds were really light in both cities which was nice and the locals were so nice to us. We stayed in bed and breakfasts in both cities and saved lots of $$ over hotels. Much luck to you in your travels... Italy is a wonderful country.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:15 PM

We had weather in the 50s and 60s. Leather jackets worked perfectly (though we did have to buy gloves in Florence).
The Venice flooding should be a thing of the past by then.
One of the advantages of going then is that the tourist population is greatly diminished.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your feedback, CMT and Fying Mom.

Is it advisable to take a tour package or we go on our own and arrange for trains and hotels?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thak you HowardR for your feedback!

Manny
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:37 PM

I had some american friends visiting Italy on Thanksgiving weekd in 2002 and boy, it rained in Rome! When we went to Florence the day was clear and sunny and SO nice, but in Rome it was miserable.

In September in Italy it's supposed to be nice weather, but yesterday in ROme and northern Italy it was raining and cold (it's been like that for a few days so far), so what can I say? seasons have changed, weather is highly unpredictable, expect to find some rain in Italy, but I wish you won't
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you BATUFOLINA. This reminds me just to bring a water repelant jacket.

manny
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM

definitely. And remember that the acqua alta in Venice is only in some areas in Venice (that is those parts right on the edge of the water like St Mark's Square) not everywhere. Also, the acqua alta is likely to be in the morning and in the evening, there are sirens that announce when the tide is rising (so that shops can block their entrances in time.
If you want to have more info on acqua alta, write VENEXIANO in the search box above. Venexiano aka Federico was a nice Venetian who used to hang around here in the past, unfortunately we lost track of him, but being an inhabitant of Venice, he gave great info about this phenomenon. His info was collected in the mega thread called "Italy-Useful Info".
Hope this helps. If I find it I will put the link here below. HEre it is. Check for VENEXIANO's precious info about Venice acqua alta.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34443340
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Hey Manny~
We will be in Florence that same time frame, and will be hitting Venice for a few days as well. We have always travelled that week, and have found that it is lovely! Few crowds, more local events, pleasant weather. I prefer a little chill to baking in the sun, unless I'm sunning in the Caribbean! We are travelling with our 7 and 9 year old daughters, so if you have kids (or even if you don't!) and would like to meet up and trade Fodor tips, let me know...
[email protected]