Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I know you will all laugh, but where in Paris can I watch the SuperBowl? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-know-you-will-all-laugh-but-where-in-paris-can-i-watch-the-superbowl-290536/)

bubblywine Jan 23rd, 2008 08:46 AM

I know you will all laugh, but where in Paris can I watch the SuperBowl?

I need to be someplace with beer where I can be loud and American. Where oh where can I go?

Brutforce Jan 23rd, 2008 08:48 AM

Why not just give me your ticket & you can watch it at my house...?

StuDudley Jan 23rd, 2008 09:00 AM

How about your hotel room???

Just make sure you reserve the rooms next to you also, so they won't hear you yelling between midnight & 4AM.

Stu Dudley

KidsToLondon Jan 23rd, 2008 09:01 AM

Here's some info on the last Superbowl, maybe it will be useful:

http://www.parisist.com/archives/200...owl_sunday.php

apersuader65 Jan 23rd, 2008 09:12 AM

I saw Superbowl XL, Pittsburgh vs. Seattle in Paris at a bar called the Freedom bar, on I believe rue Berri, just off the Champs in '06. As I understand it, there are two Canadian bars the Moose and the Beaver that also show the game. Please note, the game is broadcast by a european station (Sky in '06) and will not have much of the american fanfare, such as the hyped commercials, and the announcers will likely be someone you've never heard of before. Two of the announcers in '06 said they were former NFL players, but no one with our group had ever heard of them. Still, it was fun, since we connected to Paris out of Detroit where XL was played on Friday night before the game. My family walked around Detroit's airport before our connection to CDG looking for celebrities, etc., to no avail.

Good luck and enjoy.

kelliebellie Jan 23rd, 2008 09:16 AM

I'm not laughing. I think watching the SuperBowl in the middle of the night in a bar in Paris would be cool. My parents would fax us Piston playoff scores while we were there.

I tried to google it for you, but the "Paris" that I was coming up with was mostly Paris Hilton. :(

bubblywine Jan 23rd, 2008 09:23 AM

Thanks!
brutforce - that depends on how big your tv is and if standard superbowl grub will be included.

StuDudley - I am 25 but will be sharing an apartment with two women (who would kill me if I called them older).

KtoL - wow! Who knew there was such draw!

Michel_Paris Jan 23rd, 2008 09:46 AM

www.tgcparis.com

bubblywine Jan 23rd, 2008 09:59 AM

Thanks Michel. I was having a hard time finding the English version of that.

Now a stupid question. When do I show up at the bar? Feb 3rd or 4th? The time difference has got me confused (well, that or the wine).

Michel_Paris Jan 23rd, 2008 10:30 AM

Get to area on Sun Feb 3rd around 8 PM Nearby,away from the Seine, in St Andre des Arts area, there are many restos. Chez Clement and La Jacobine are two that I have tried recently. After dinner, head over to Pub. If it's a 6PM Eastern start, that would be midnight Paris time (6hrs difference).

Last time I was there I was hanging around with the owner of GCP, Mark. Say hi, ask for a scotch.

dfr4848 Jan 23rd, 2008 10:35 AM

I'd just show up on the 3rd. If you're early, well, you're in a bar right?

Clio Jan 23rd, 2008 12:20 PM

The Superbowl is definitely a different experience abroad. I saw it 3 years ago in an Irish bar in Barcelona of all things! This was the year of the Janet Jackson 'wardrobe malfunction'. I agree the experience, ours was commentated by Brits, is different but in a fun way if you go into it expecting novelty.

lyndash Jan 23rd, 2008 03:24 PM

2 years ago it was carried on french TV and my daughter and I watched it in the middle of the night in our jammies. It was sort of fun listening to the french patter with Jerome Betttis 'the bus' popping up periodically along with other obvious american phrases.

I think I just googled it to get the info. Good luck; even traveling some of us have just GOT to watch the Superbowl! lynda

bubblywine Jan 23rd, 2008 11:30 PM

Thanks all! I havent been in America for about nine months and sorely missed watching football. Cant wait to watch the game.

kerouac Jan 24th, 2008 12:50 AM

France 2 (TV channel) is showing the Super Bowl this year -- with French commentary, of course.

English bars will probably have an English satellite version.

MacSporran Jan 25th, 2008 04:33 AM

Why not give the artificial, over-hyped version of 'football' a miss, and go and watch PSG, where they play real football ?

Ooops, sorry, Forgot my :-)

Brutforce Jan 26th, 2008 04:54 AM

My TV isn't that big but I'll leave some lobster tails & filet if that will get me a ticket to Paris. + I'm not overly fond of either team anyway. Based on your name I'll leave some Veuve Clicquot as well.