I know this is an old one, but...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip for this November and are taking our 2 kids. I really want to make a decision on a place to sleep asap! My husband and I went 2 years ago and stayed in Beckenham...and would be willing to stay out of London again. We just need someplace rather reasonable. Where would be a good place to check on B&B's outside of London, but still close to reliable transportation? Any help appreciated!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:38 PM

I'm really curious if you are not going until November why you are so anxious to commit to your accommodations so early? I would think rates are subject to change (who knows whether up or down?) I'm going in two weeks and still haven't decided on where to stay but so far every place I check has rooms.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:50 PM

What is "reasonable"?
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Well, why now? That is a good question. I guess I am not so anxious to have the reservations made as I am to have a good idea of where we want to stay. (I guess I am a microplanner!) In terms of reasonable, I'm not exactly sure what reasonable would be. My husband and I paid around GPB 55/night last time we were there (out in Beckenham), so I guess around GPB 80-90 for the family??? Mostly I'm interested in finding a good B&B as opposed to a hotel, although don't object to a hotel. Again, thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:11 PM
vcl

Have you considered an apartment. We stay in a flat in Kensington where a one-bedroom that can sleep four goes for 385 GBP in November. Nothing fancy but there is a full-sized kitchen, functioning bath, tiny bedroom with two twin beds, pullout couch in the living room. Gloucester Road tube stop is less than 10 minutes walk; two supermarkets and laundromat with a service wash really close. If you want to take a look, search on Oxbridge Apartments.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>Virginia
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Macauchick,<BR><BR>How old are your children? Will they be willing to stay in the confined space of a B&amp;B, and the long trip to town? Why stay so far out? Scala House is 805 GBP a week in the low season, is half a block from the tube, and gives you two bedrooms, a bath and a half, a living room and a kitchen. Being able to prepare some mealas will more than make up for the price difference. There are many other apartment/hotel options, but not sure I would put my little one in a B&amp;B.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

My thanks to you, vcl and escholtzia. I really needed some direction on this...if only to make ME feel comfortable. My kids will be 8 &amp; 10 by the time our trip rolls around. They are used to staying in small places when we travel. If we were to stay out of London, they would enjoy the train trip in each day. Novelty weighs heavy with them! I had considered flats, but wasn't sure exactly where to look to find the best deal. Again, not looking for fancy, just a place to sleep. Thanks again!