Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I know it's been done to death but need Paris hotel help...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 03:42 PM
lindsey

Here's what's available at reasonable prices in September when I plan to go: Hotel de O'Odeon, Ferrandi, Hotel Verneuil, Hotel Saint-Paul, and Hotel du Pantheon. (I can get best price at du Pantheon). I will only be in Paris for three days so looking for convenient location, but also want atmosphere, cleanliness and room that's bigger than a breadbox. Can you help me?

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Leslie

Being that you're only going to be in Paris for 3 days and only spend time in your hotel to sleep, I wouldn't worry about ambiance and if the room is tiny. Location, safety, affordability and cleanliness should only be your main concerns.<BR><BR>If you're interested in staying in the Marais, I can recommend a very nice bed and breakfast for $20 per night, and the rooms are about 15 x 15 (which is huge), but depending on how booked it is will dependent upon whether the room has a shared or private bath. The woman who owns the B&B primarily rents rooms to American students that study at the Sorbonne. For an extra few dollars, you can also get dinner and your laundry done. I stayed there for a month 3 years ago and even got a better price. My friend's daughter lived there while she was studying at the Sorbonne.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 04:04 PM
lindsey

I should have mentioned I will be in Paris with my husband. We are in our fifties so a b and b filled with students doesnt appeal.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Leslie

Lindsey, I don't want to give you the impression that the students are rabble rousers. If anything, I hardly noticed them as they were either out or studying. The owner of this B&B lives on site with her husband and family of small children -- they have a separate apartment on the top floor, so you never seem them either. The husband teaches at the Sorbonne, which is the reason they rent rooms to students. One of the reasons I stayed at this B&B is that my friend stayed there with her 2 sisters when she went to visit her daughter. She recommended the B&B and said that it is as nice as anyone that she has stayed at in Martha's Vineyard or Cape Cod, where those prices start at $200 per night. I wholeheartedly agree with her, which is why after my second visit to Paris (the first with friends and staying in a hotel), I chose to stay here.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Michelle

Friends have stayed at the St Paul a few times and have raved about it.Very nice rooms, small is typical of Paris, so if they are called small,that is normal...so not sure of how big a breadbox would be to you You can look at them in the Fodors Rivage,Hotels of Charm and Character(I am pretty sure that is the name)..they have a better description than I can give you-but you can't beat the price or location.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 06:19 AM
JOdy

W've stayed at the Verneuil several times , we love that area of the 6th, so convenient to most sites. It is beautifully clean and always in good repair. While our room was not hugh it was typical of the size rooms in most Parisian orr European hotels. Te baths are marble and very nice. I cannot praise the staff highly enough , we once managed to get food poisoning , and they wee very helpful with obtaining meds and keep us well supplied with liquids!

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 07:24 AM
scotthollier

Leslie,<BR> My wife and I stayed in Paris for 3 days back in the late '90's at the La Louisiane Hotel. This was located in the St. Germain de Pres section of Paris. Fabulous area that is a must to see. It was very safe. Tons of stuff to see. Easy to walk around. A very real Paris experience. More so if you can speak the language. <BR> I don't know what the cost is in todays dollars. Seems like it was a hundred bucks or so after the conversion back then.<BR> Best of Luck..............Scott Hollier in Abbeville, Louisiana

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Kathy

Lindsey,<BR><BR>My husband and I stayed at the Hotel St. Paul in Nov. '00. Although out room was bit dark with the red colored walls, it was clean, roomy and very comfortable. We had a superior room, which is what I would recommend. We peeked into the standard rooms and they were extremely small. And the location is extremely convenient. The Odean metro stop is only four blocks away and a walk to the Louvre would take about 20 minutes. In case either of you are cat lovers, the hotel also has a resident cat named Sputnik.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Jen

Leslie-Are you going to share the name of this lovely B&B on this thread, or the the intent to email you directly for the name?

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Kim

Leslie: What IS the name of that B&B? My daughter and I have just bought tickets for Paris in late May/early June and we're ready to book our room.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>Kim.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Steve

I agree with Kathy about the Hotel St. Paul. Do get one of the larger rooms. We started out in a standard (small) room and asked to be moved - no problem in January 2001. Very clean and convenient with a charming breakfast room. Sputnik spent one night with us and was a well behaved roommate.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Christina

I don't have any personal advice from staying at those but have seen them all and the areas and think they all are good choices.... but I personally do not like the location of the Ferrandi very much in comparison to the others (it's kind of an odd section of a narrow street, feels out-of-the-way and claustrophobic to me due to all the buildings around it are high and the street is so narrow, and is not as near a metro stop). I think I've also heard some say the St Paul is nice but can have very small rooms (maybe others too, I don't know), I don't know anything particular to distinguish the others but I think you've got a good list.