Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I know it's been done, but Paris and taxi-cost

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:26 AM
Thank

I thought someone posted a web-site that identified how much a taxi in Paris would cost from certain points. I searched for it, but can't find it. Am I imagining things? I'm specifically looking at the cost from Gare du Nord to the Louvre area, but would like to look at other routes, also. Thx.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Gretchen

Gare du Nord to the Louvre would be under $10. If you have luggage there will be an additional charge as well as for leaving from a station. Still under $10.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:13 AM
Statia

If you are planning to use a taxi to get around the city, may I suggest the metro system because it's very easy and inexpensive. We had no problem figuring it out on our first visit.

Also, if you are light on luggage, the RER line from the airport into the city is also easy and inexpensive for a first timer.

I don't know taxi rates, but we got around on the metro and trains very easily on our visit.

Good luck and have fun! It's a wonderful city.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:43 AM
Dodiefae

Also some taxidrivers will refuse to take passengers on short trips. This happened at our hotel in the fall. I agree that the metros are very easy to maneuver.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:50 AM
Christina

I don't know about previous post but here is one website I've used for general info, rules and rates
http://www.taxiweb-paris.com/

It does seem to have a section that will calculate fares but I couldn't get it to work. It gives an avg fare from paris to CDG of 31 euros during midday. That seems a little low to me, I'd say more like 40.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:51 AM
thank

Thanks for the replies. We will definitely use the Metro. However, to get to our hotel (near the Louvre) from the airport, I am planning to take the RER in from CDG to Gare du Nord and then hire a taxi from the station to the hotel. I think that will save us money and time (by taking the RER, instead of a taxi for most of the journey), but also save us from having to change from the RER to a metro and then walk the streets of Paris with a bunch of luggage (by taking a taxi straight to our hotel). We have also entertained the idea of taking a taxi around the city at night, at least down to the Arc.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
alex

Since your hotel is near the Louvre take the main Metro east-west line 1, La Defense-Vincennes, to the De Gaulle/Etoile exit (or George V if you wish to stroll three minutes). Could not be easier. You might enjoy ambling along the Champs, often called (by the chauvinists, who are right in this case) the prettiest avenue in the world, back to your hotel from the Arc, maybe 2 miles, probably less.

And, if you're interested in seeing the major sites at night you may wish to investigate the tours conducted by Cityrama or Paris Vision.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:29 PM
Statia

Yeah, Paris Vision is good. We used them to do a day trip to London via Eurostar. They also offer a night tour of all the major sites in Paris.