i know it rains a lot in Holland but....

Apr 17th, 2002, 05:30 AM
carol

i know it rains a lot in Holland but....

Leaving for Holland in 6 weeks and trying to make sure i take all that i need. I've been told that a 'breathable'(gore-tex) rain jacket is what i just have to have...but they cost a small fortune...yet the idea of sweating under one does not appeal to me either. Does anyone know if it would it be more cost effective to buy one in Holland or Canada? (here they are no less than $159.00 here) I guess i could stay indoors (like i do when i'm home) but i only have a short time and cant let the rain stop me from sight seeing. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Apr 17th, 2002, 05:50 AM
mpprh

hi

It's not that wet in Holland in June !

Check here -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/weather/longterm/historical/data/leeuwarden_netherlands.htm

But I will admit it can be changeable.
Take a small folding umbrella ?

Peter

Apr 17th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Sally

I've lived in Holland all my life - and yes, you will definitely need a raincoat! The last ten years or so the weather in June has been cool and changeable, alternating with sunny periods when it can fast become very hot and humid. This is usually followed by thunderstorms, after which it cools off again, etc. An umbrella alone is probably insufficient because it can also get really cool. The price you quote for a rainjacket is quite high, I'm sure you can get them cheaper here, for around 40 - 75 $. Try the cheaper department stores such as C&A or HEMA. Vroom & Dreesmann, another department store, also sells good raincoats. Hope this helps, have a good trip!

Apr 17th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Nutella

Sally, I'm leaving next week. What do you suggest I need for a jacket? Would a light ski jacket be good? I live in a tropical climate so I don't know how to pack for cooler weather. Thanks!!

Apr 17th, 2002, 09:17 AM
kathy

I think a light ski jacket will be too warm, but a local could tell you better. Take some sweaters and layer under a lighter weight jacket.If you don't want to splurge on GoreTex then get a nylon one and spray waterproofing on it. Lands End, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean will all have these types of jackets on their web sites. If the jacket has a hood that would be a good choice. We walked around Amsterdam in light mist for three days and still enjoyed our trip.

Apr 17th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Myriam

As Kathy says, take layers. A light ski jacket might be OK though. It has been rather cold these last days (around 55F) and weather is really unpredictible. As far as the weather forecast: between 54-60F until end of next week, some sunshine, light rain.

Apr 17th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Sjoerd

Just watched the weather forecast for the Netherlands: some rain and cool until Saturday, warmer (15 - 20 C) and sunnier from Sunday into next week.