Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I know, I know Everyone has been asking questions about Provence but I have a few too.

Search

I know, I know Everyone has been asking questions about Provence but I have a few too.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On March 15th we are flying BOS-CDG then CDG to Nice. We get into Nice at 2pm and pick up the car. We are staying in Mougins. Is it unreasonable to expect to see anything of Nice that afternoon?
Day 1 we are planning on going to Vence & St Paul de Vence to the Foundation Maeght. Will the whole day give us enough time? Should we plan on dinner back in Mougins or someplace between Vence and Mougins?
Day 2 we need to be in St Remy to meet my parents. We would like to see Cassis and the calanques if the weather is good. Do the boat tours run at this time of year? If not is there anything else you can suggest for sights between Mougins and St Remy. We were in Aix last year and got royally lost so I am not sure we want to attempt that again.
On Sunday we are going to the market in L'Isle sur la Sorgue and from there to Roussillon and down through Bonnieux.
On Monday we are planning on going to Port du Gard and then down to Arles. Can we do both comfortably in one day? Can we make it to La Chassagnette for lunch?
On Tuesday we want to do the drive from Beaumes-de-Venise, Gigondas and up through Vaison-la-Romaine. Is this too much for one day?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

I was so busy getting my questions lined up that I forgot my manners. Forgive me. Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
See the Pont du Gard have lunch at La Chassagnette and then see Arles(have lunch early. I don't know about the boat schedule. Nice is huge, stick to old Nice snack on their famed Socca.
I've never been to Mougins. I've always wanted to dine at Mougins de Mougins.
Go inti the Colombe D'' or to look at the art. The Calder mobile is by the pool.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:27 PM

AGM_Cape_Cod, I think I can help with two of your questions. From St-Rémy, you can see both Pont du Gard and Arles in one day. I have driven from St-Rémy to Uzès about an hour, if my memory serves me correctly, so it would be a bit less to Pont du Gard. Pont du Gard to Arles is a bit longer, perhaps one hour fifteen minutes?

Your Tuesday agenda is also possible, although it will be influenced by how long you want to stay in Vaison-la-Romaine. If you are interested in Roman history, there are two separate ruins, plus the amphitheatre and the museum (which has a spectacular mosaic, among other things). There is also the Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-Nazareth and its cloisters (both well worth a visit) and the Haute Ville. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you could spend almost a full day in Vaison-la-Romaine alone.

Gigondas and its near-cousin Vacqueryas are wonderful Côtes du Rhône wines ... enjoy them!

Hope this helps.

Anselm
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM

AGM -

can't say for sure if the Calanques boat rides will be up and running - would probably depend on the weather. In any case, Cassis is well worth the stop. Very pretty and even more so without the thundering tourist herds of summertime ! Take the drive up and over the calanques towards Marseille if you get the chance. Stunning scenery. You can go half way and then turn back around unless you are interested in getting lost in Marseille...

-Kevin
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM

I'm not sure if I have this right, but I am assuming that you are staying in St Rèmy? If so the trip to Beaumes de Venise & Vaison la Romaine is do-able. We have a house in BdV and have generally can get down to St Rèmy in an hour or so. Avoid the route via Avignon though unless you just love roundabouts - I'd suggest that you cut across to the autoroute and then exit at le Pontet, taking direction Carpentras and then Sarrian. The area between BdV and Vaison is lovely - as well as Gigondas, have a quick look at Seguret. Tuesday is market day in Vaison so expect resticted parking in the morning and lots of people - not a reason to avoid the town though it is a good market. A suggestion re the Pont du Gard, consider going on just a little further after you have seen the Pont to Uzès - a very attractive town centre. You could also consider coming back via Nimes rather than Arles - the roman arena at Nimes is more complete than the one at Arles. Whatever you choose, have a great trip - there never seems to be enough time no matter how long you have nor how many times you vist.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:50 PM

Do not miss lunch at La Chassagnette whatever you do. I suggest also a drive down toward St Maries de Mer with a stop on the left hand side of the road at the bird sanctuary. We wathced pink flamingoes for a good hour or more following our lunch at La Chassagnette. It was a surreal day indeed.

Since you are meeting your parents in St Remy, do consider a strip to Glanum and the Antiquities. These are a few minutes outside of St Remy on the way to Les Baux.

If you are going to the market in Isle sur la SOrgue on a Sunday, I suggest lunch at Mas de cure Bourse. (reserve). We stayed there and thought next time we would have lunch there after the market. Do not be alarmed when you first hit the market as you will see much food and some (lots) of provencal tablecloths etc. The antiques and colletibles are there to be found. Look for the big grocery store as you come into town(I'm sorry..the name escapes me I think it starts with an S). You pay 7 euros to park all day and there are "guards". It is worth it. If you decide to make reservations at Mas de Cure Bourse for lunch they can give you directions to the parking.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:11 AM

The boat rides to visit the calanques from Cassis do run all year round.

<<On Monday we are planning on going to Port du Gard and then down to Arles. Can we do both comfortably in one day? Can we make it to La Chassagnette for lunch?>>

You can definitely see the Pont du Gard in the morning ( I would normally also recommend a visit to Uzès). From there you should go directly down to La Chassagnette for lunch....the drive from the Pont du Gard will take you probably around an hour and a quarter. Lunch will last at least until around 3 in the afternoon, which leaves you a short time to visit Arles in the late afternoon.

Patricia
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I think we will try to squeeze in Uzes as well. I can't wait to leave!!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Yes, you can visit Vence, St-Paul-de-Vence, and the Fondation Maeght in one day. Start at the top with Vence and work your way down. If you have an early lunch in Vence you can avoid paying the higher prices in St-Paul; the main square in Vence has a number of restaurants with outdoor seating.

I'd recommend dinner in Mougins at Le Feu Follet, as Roger Vergé is no longer cooking at the Moulin de Mougins.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Jean, is Feu Follet open for lunch?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 11:24 AM

You bet, Mimi! We've gone for both lunch and dinner (on different days!) on various trips, and both are just fine. Ask to be seated outside on the little terrace to the right of the building. If the mussels in curry sauce are on the menu, go for it!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

We are planning on Le Feu Follet for our first night in Mougins. I even found a website for it http://www.feu-follet.fr/gb/le-restaurant.htm
What we are wondering is where to go for the second night. I guess you can tell we travel on our stomachs! I told my husband the sights don't change but restaurants do.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Abby, I don't know how far you will drive but this place is VERY special.
I wish I couldsteal the water pitcher that came with my pastis.

http://www.guidegantie.com/en/
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:43 PM

http://www.guidegantie.com/en/restau...il.php?id=1081
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Well, we finally leave tomorrow. The weather report on the hotel website for Nice is showing 72 degress for Thursday!!! Thanks for all your help and suggestions. With your input the vacation can't help but be fantastic. (Of course just being away from work makes it fantastic.) Au revoir.