Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I just made a reservation for this Paris apt..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So..after researching and researching and reading forums and testimonials, and with my departure dates coming up (August), I finally made a reservation through Rentals in Paris for a one-bedroom apt in the Marais district: http://www.rentals-paris.com/propert...;To=2007/08/31 (Rue di Rivoli).

I guess the next step is to fax back a form and give them a 50% deposit.

Has anyone ever had experience with this agency? Has anyone ever stayed at the is property?

This isn't a done deal, but I must say that just getting this far has brought some relief to my endless internet searching and sleepless nights! This is my first time in renting a vacation apt, first time in Paris, AND first time traveling to Europe!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Hi - I live in Paris and could walk by there if you'd like and give you my take on it from what I can see. One thing I can tell you is that if it is on rue de Rivoli it is most likely noisy. If that is a problem, you should try somewhere else. let me know and I'll walk by there tomorrow for you. I can even email you a photo!
Rena
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM

redhedgurrl, very nice offer. I walked by a couple of buildings for another Fodorite one time when I was in Paris on a visit.

There is a photo of the exterior (and of the interior) here:

www.rentals-paris.com/rivoli.shtml

Having walked around that area quite a bit, I've been trying to place it in my mind. I think it's probably at the southwest corner of rue de Rivoli and rue du Renard. Certainly in that vicinity, if not right there, and certainly in an area of fairly heavy traffic.

However, the description on the rental-paris website says it faces an inner courtyard, which would be quiet. Katie4, the one question I'd ask the landlord is what the courtyard is like. In some buildings, that can mean an fairly big area, sometimes with a garden. In others, it can mean an airshaft. If the latter, it will be pretty pokey, as it is on the ground and first floors.

Anselm
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

God.. I love this forum!

Redhedgurrl..that would be soooo awesome to get feedback fom someone who's there. Thank you!

Also, what's the weather been like? And what do you think it could be like Aug 19-31? And,are things really closed down in August, like I keep reading?

This is my first trip and I'm actually trying to only take a 21" roll aboard bag and a daypack! It'll be a challenge for me to pack the right amount of appropriate clothing.

By the way...I'm also a "red headed grrrl"...but my color is helped a bit from my stylist!

Anselm...when you say "pokey"...do you mean that there could be people poking around (i.e. unsafe) because it's on the first floor? That wouldn't be cool. A bit noisy, I can probably handle.

I got a sort of quick "automated looking" reply from Rentals in Paris, thanking me for my reservation and requesting that I double-check my info adn to "fill out and fax", but there was nothing attached and no link to what I'm supposed to fill out and fax.

I replied that my info was correct and what to do next... should I wait for them to respond and nose around on the website to look for something to fill out and fax. It is Sunday and all.

Thank you guys!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Wow! As soon as I posted a response to Redhedgurrl and Anslem, I checked my email and the contract, conditions and paymetn instructions were in my inbox! I have 24 hours in which to fax back the signed contract and to pay the full amount- $2728 US- because of the short amount of time before my trip (less than 30 days).

YOWZA! I look forward to y'all input....but it looks like I'm gonna kinda be under the gun to get it done, if I'm at all interested in it!

I have butterflies in my stomach much like I did when I closed on my house 10 years ago! I know that sounds ridiculous..
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Katie4: That seems very expensive, If I were you I would check on this one that I stayed in the Marais, It looks like it is available for your dates, its a wonderful location, and terrific owner. The rate is 800 Euros, 80 of which you pay with paypal or personal check as a deposit, the rest on arrival. It may just be me, but I don't see, that apartment being that much better. www.vrbo.com/79965
I would call the number in florida rather than email because of your short notice. To me its worth a try.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I see now that you are staying more than a week, but still, even with the conversion it comes out about $600 less, and there are no forms to sign, or the need to send a signifigant amount of money.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM

katie4, by pokey I meant lacking in light.

That VRBO #79965 looks great and it is slightly cheaper.

happytotravel, do you remember the name of the street it was on?

Anselm
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Yes, Anslem, the address is 6 rue st. Gilles. It's a wonderful location just up from Place de Vosges.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Happytotravel- thank you for the address. I looked it up on the pages jaunes page.

All of the reviews were glowing and they all mention that the owner lives in the same building. What was that like? It is more akin to a B&B type thing? Also...is it close to a Metro station?

Thank you very much...

I must admit...I'm now a bit conflicted! This one does like fab and is less expensive...
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Katie4: It's not a B&B, the owner just lives upstairs so she is there if you have questions, we happened to find her in the neighborhood some days, she is a charming french woman. She in no way intrudes on your space, but is available if you need her. The owners pride really shows. A relative in florida sets up the reservation.

I really did not know what to expect when we made our reservations, it felt funny not having any forms. But what a nice surprise, everything worked like a charm.

We walked everywhere, but the metro is very close, and next to a convience store. Bus's where also very close.

We liked the area so much we are planning on spending our 3 days in Sept, just in the Marais (unfortunately we can't get the apartment for 3 days.)

blh gave this review on fodors:
Author: blh
Date: 06/22/2007, 05:07 pm
We recently stayed in an apartment in the Marais http://www.vrbo.com/79965. It was on the second floor (no lift, but just one floor up). It was a wonderful apartment - very spacious (600 sq ft) and very light. The owners were great - so easy to deal with - only wanted a small deposit and paid the rest in cash. The owner lives in the apartment above and is very helpful. The location was wonderful - just a block to the Metro, two blocks to Place des Vosges. Lots of cute stores and good restaurants closeby. I would love to stay there again!

I really can't tell if its any nicer than yours, I just don't like sending a lot of money. I am sure you'll be fine either way
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks, happytotravel.

katie4, rue Saint-Gilles is in a very interesting area. I stayed in an apartment about three blocks away and loved strolling around there. Your nearest metro would be Chemin Vert on line 8, or you could walk about 10 minutes to Place de la Bastille, where you could board lines 8, 5, and 1.

You would also be within a short walk to the market on boul. Richard-Lenoir and and even shorter walk to the sublime Place des Vosges.

All in all a nicer area to live for a week, I think, than opposite the Hôtel de Ville.

Anselm
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Hi Katie,
I would also go with the Rue St. Gilles apt - the location is terrific and the place and price look good.

We were in Paris in December and stayed in an apartment near there. We had dinner with a woman who I believe was staying at that very apartment you're looking at on St. Gilles. Hers was on that street and the kitchen looks like the photo she showed me. She was quite happy with it and enjoyed having her landlord so close by.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM

redhedgurrl, AnselmAdorne and happy to travel, I have a related question: We've never been to Paris (considering going in February).

I'm looking at a MapEasy Guide to Paris. In which area is the Marais district? Thanks.

VRBO #79965 looks great, but I just can't find that area on the map.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 02:52 PM

samsaf: You can just type 6 rue st. gilles into google, click on map and find it. If you are interested I have a couple of photos at happytotravel.shutterfly.com and click on the Paris photos.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Samsaf, I think there have been posts here in the past about what constitutes the Marais, but I'm not sure what words to use to search for them.

I tend to think of the 3rd and 4th arrondissements as being the Marais, but I suspect that the true Marais is more narrowly defined than that.

I'm not familiar with the MapEasy Guide to Paris, but if you go to ViaMichelin.com or maps.google.com and search for rue Saint-Gilles, you'll see where that apartment is.

Anselm
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Happytotravel- I took your advice and tried to call the two Florida numbers on the website- both are disconnected. ?

I've emailed, using the email button on the VRBO website. So, I'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I supposedly only have until tomorrow early afternoon (24 hrs) to fax in the form and pay in full for the first apt that for which I have pending reservations!
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I know it's hard to find, but neither of these apts. appear to have a/c. It's August. That's a lot of money for no a/c.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM

I have to agree. If you are going to go for an apartment with no air conditioning in August, consider getting one in a leafy, shady area.

Admittedly, the weather in Paris has so far not been scorching this summer, so you might be fine with no A/C.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM

There are dozens of previous threads here with links to apts. with a/c. Here's just one
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34991623
although it is a bit late to be doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -