I just heard a weird sound

Apr 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I just heard a weird sound

And when I looked out I saw a big silver thing flying through the sky.

Yes a plane!!! First for days.

Things are returning to noisy normality it seems
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Hi hetismij, are you in Amsterdam? I'm in London and the skies are quiet here. The peace is nice but I keep thinking of all those people who are stuck in places they don't want to be.

Kay
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM

Yay!
Apr 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM
BKP

hetismlj -- I heard that same noise a few hours ago too! I went outside but couldn't see the plane. I'm sure it was one though, I assume a test flight. I'm 30 miles outside of London. Fingers crossed!
Apr 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM

There was a little plane buzzing backwards and forwards regularly all yesterday and most of today from the Sussex coast north. Someone using their initiative, I guess. And just one helicopter this morning. Otherwise nothing.

Hoping everyone stranded gets home soon.
Apr 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

I think it was the KLM flight to Shanghai that was taking stranded passengers out.
Hopefully there will be a few more tomorrow.

Though purely personally I don't mind if they don't get off the ground - since my husband will be away for 6 days, including the whole weekend, if they do.
Apr 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Finally.. at around 8pm local time, flights started to depart from Munich, and arrivals are scheduled, too. But still many flights cancelled. Hope this is the beginning of normal operations.
Apr 20th, 2010, 01:43 AM

A real one flying over me now!!
Apr 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM

It's awful for everyone who is stuck and unable to get home, but this whole situation does make you think. We take it for granted to hop on a plane to NY to go shopping. A week in Florida with the kids, safari in Africa......
We decided to stay home this Easter holiday; lovely weather in Belgium, very relaxed, did some day trips, kids got to spend time with friends. Would I have been happier in NY, where I had wanted to go?

And the supermarkets are running out of some exotic fruits. Is that really a problem? Supermarkets here sell apples from New Zealand while we have plenty of them in Belgium.

I hope everyone gets home safely this week. I wonder if they decide to stay home next time. In the meantime, skies are clear and quiet, and the sun is shining.
Apr 20th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Whilst I am pleased for those stranded that there are flights again it was lovely to have no planes going over us, and clear blue skies free of contrails.

All in all it was a good time for the environment as the CO2 from the volcano and extra cars was still less than a third of that from the planes which would normally have been flying.
Apr 20th, 2010, 12:25 PM

It has made me think it's a bit like before the second world war, when there were few flights or you just couldn't fly. I live in the UK but am Australian and if I had a sudden family emergency in Australia, I couldn't get there. I wouldn't be taking a 6 week sea voyage like they would have back then, but it could take me quite a while to get home. It's a bit scary.

By the way, I read in the paper on the weekend that 90% of fruit in Britain is flown in. Pretty horrifying statistic.

Kay