Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I heard something this morning about warnings for Americans in France due to a bomb threat, is that true?

Search

I heard something this morning about warnings for Americans in France due to a bomb threat, is that true?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:11 AM
maryann

I heard something this morning about warnings for Americans in France due to a bomb threat, is that true?<BR>if it is, can you expand on the news... i can't find anything on it online

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:18 AM
francesafe

I heard that there was a bomb scare at the embassy (US) but turned out being a hoax.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 04:25 AM
maryann

thank you Francesafe, I was getting worried. Now I can continue planning my trip with no worries.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Rex

I'll offer two opposite ends of a spectrum, of concerns about traveling, whether it's across town to the Home Depot in Falls Church, or across an ocean or two.<BR><BR>Do not make your plans, nor cancel them, based on where terror might strike.<BR><BR>On the other hand (and another thread spoke poignantly, and even grimly to this just today - - on making sure you have a will that reflects your needs as of today), do plan for some unexpected interruptions to any of your plans. <BR><BR>Make sure you have access to the cash you could need. Think about how you would contact people or they you, if necessary. Be sure it hasn't been too long since you said "I love you" to your kids, your parents, siblings, etc.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Al Godon

A terrorist group put explosives in the bottom of a friend's outhouse, and touched them off while he was in there.<BR>I am sure it was the work of a terrorist group linked to Sadam Hussein.<BR>Now it is not safe to go to the privy anymore. What will we do?<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:03 AM
mary

Ok, So I leave tonite. I know they use to have you check in at the Embassy in some SE Asia sountries when I travelled. Should we be doing the same in France given the Worlds condition.??<BR>I am not an overly fearful traveler and have travelled alot of corners of the world, but we do know the world has changed and I'm traveling with a teen.<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Tom

&lt;&lt;Should we be doing the same in France&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>At first, I thought that this is/was a crazy question. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder, what IS exactly the spectrum of services offered by our American embassy to citizens visiting inside a foreign country?<BR><BR>for example, if you are there for a week and want to report "I can be reached on the following cell phone number in the event of a major international event", will someone record this? Would they ever contact such a traveler?<BR><BR>What about an American citizen living or working in France for months? Do they want a contact number where you are staying or working?<BR><BR>Is the answer any different if you are an employee of the U.S. government?<BR><BR>Anybody know?<BR><BR>It's a more interesting question than I first supposed.<BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Amy

I think the sheer volume of American travelers to places like France, Italy, England, etc would make it nearly impossible for the staff at an Embassy to check us in and out and track us all and then give us a ring in the event something else bad happens.<BR><BR>Government employees have protocols to follow when they're out of the country, don't worry about what they have to do.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:41 AM
anon

&lt;&lt;I think the sheer volume of American travelers to places like France, Italy, England, etc would make it nearly impossible&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Reasonable and good guess, but does anyone have any facts? What if an American CHOOSES to leave such information with an embassy? Will they take it? Ever act upon it? What about in smaller countries? What constitutes a country "at risk" nowadays? Greece? Turkey? Ukraine? Jordan?<BR><BR>

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 11:44 AM
xxx

Now that al-Qaeda has attacked a French ship near Yemen, it might be that French interests are on their list. Who knows what part of France is next?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 06:41 PM
us bonds`

seriously. when is the rest of the world going to wake up and realize that America is saving their asses once again?

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Andrea

American consulates abroad are all familiar with registration of American citizens visiting or living in that country. <BR><BR>They do keep the registration information, and use it for 2 purposes:<BR><BR>* Whereabouts assistance - Helping American families who request assistance in confirming the whereabouts of American family members in that country in the event of an emergency.<BR><BR>* Emergency/warning notification, or in extreme cases, evacuation. The embassy or consulate will make every effort in the event of an emergency to contact all Americans. It's easiest to contact those who have registered, but they also call hotels, universities, etc., depending on the situation. <BR><BR>For example, a new worldwide travel warning was issued for all Americans, and I received one from the American Consulate in Shanghai (because I'm registered with them) and one from the American Chamber of Commerce (as a member), because the Consulate sent it to the Chamber in an effort to reach more Americans.<BR><BR>It's easiest for them to reach people, of course, if the people have registered with them, which the US government recommends for all travelers. <BR><BR>Some embassies/consulates allow online registration (Shanghai), some require that you go in person (Paris - although I suspect that if you just send them a fax they'd keep it on hand - this notification process is something with which they should be very familiar).<BR><BR>For the most up to date travel warnings, always visit http://travel.state.gov. They have any global travel warnings posted, as well as a current situation sheet for every country that is updated regularly.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:21 PM
xxx

Great post, Andrea.<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Mark

I have not heard of any warnings specific to a bomb threat, but when we left CDG last Monday each and every person traveling to the U.S. was given an exit interview of about 20-25 questions while in the line to check in; then each checked bag was hand searched prior to approaching the ticket agent. This was done at the beginning of the check in process and was followed by the usual 2 sets of metal detectors and random pat downs at the gate area and on the jet way into the aircraft. We actually felt a little safer when we boarded and did not mind this process one bit.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:33 AM
janeygirl

I went through the same security checks that Mark described when I was leaving Paris in August. I'm not aware of any unusual activity going on in Paris at that time so I'm guessing that these security measures are routine and not necessarily connected with any recent threats.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Rex

It's hard to know where and why "increased measures" are insitituted - - and maybe that's the way it has to be.<BR><BR>In a similarity to the post by Mark, I was struck also by "procedure" on leaving CDG for Newark on Sep 20 of this year. Nothing quite like he described, and the personnel doing random checks at the gate seemed quite worthless to me. but an interesting thing was the way-out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere our plane was actually parked, for us to board via steps. I made the remark to my wife "why gate 64? why even terminal 2 at all?" <BR><BR>The bus ride from the "gate" to the plane would have been shorter if we had started at one of the airport hotels!<BR><BR>Makes you wonder if planes headed to the New York area are "quarantined" (or at least on that particular day) to a location which is harder to "infiltrate" by NON-passenger, ground staff "imposters".<BR>