I have ressies for the Scavi tour and

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all who recommended this tour. I E mailed about 7-10 days ago requesting a date and time. Then history changed right before my eyes. Today I received confirmation of my Scavi tour on the day and the time that I requested. So thanks to all, I feel honored to be allowed to take this tour. RSG
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Consider yourself very fortunate. I requested a reservation early in March for our trip at the end of April. I received the standard reply that they would let me know and to please not e-mail them again, and I never heard another word. I've visited the Scavi, but those traveling with me on this trip have not. I'm quite disappointed.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:09 AM

I emailed last April for a reservation in June and never heard back. I was very disappointed as well.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Gosh, I did not realize just how fortunate I was in getting these ressies. Correction here: I had E mailed them on April 7th, and had confirmation today. If anyone needs the info for the Scavi Tour: Email at [email protected]
phone: 011 39 06 6988 5318 fax: 011 3906 698 73017
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM

I got reservations fairly easy as well. We took the Scavi tour in December. I inquired about reservations in early October and received an e-mail back aobut 2 weeks later with the confirmation information. I guess we were lucky; I didn't realize that others weren't getting their reservations and I'm sorry to hear that.

Tracy
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Just a tip for those of you who haven't heard back: When I first requested a reservation - I got the standard reply as well. Well I didn't hear and after three months, I sent them another email requesting the same date(s) and time(s). We got a confirmation back. Here I think is the reason: they get a million requests a month (I read that stat somewhere - perhaps on their site)...and it occured to me that perhaps the first email I sent got lost in the avalanche of emails they get, or the second explanation is that perhaps there was a cancellation in the meantime. Regardless, I did try and second time, even though they said not to, and I did get through. I was a little more flexible as we gave them 4 days when we were in Rome and we also agreed to either the Italian or English tour as we speak both. We ended up on an English tour and we arranged our itinerary in Rome after we knew when we were seeing the SCAVI. So, for those of you who didn't hear back, I would re-email. What can it hurt ? The most they can do is turn you do again, and perhaps you might get luckier the second time. Good luck everyone!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Sorry about the typos in the last post. I meant, "the most they can do is turn you down again.." Sorry for the stinky typing
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM
euroenvy

I too won the lottery!I got the reserations!... I didnt hear from them for a long time and contacted my hotel... I have no idea if that helped but I heard from them finally...but with this funeral and election I would say everyone is overtaxed as there are twice as many people in Rome now....I was afraid this would happen in June,I feel sad but also for those who were planning on doing things must make other arrangements...you never know if you will ever get back....

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM

I had read somewhere that they only accept reservations within the 90 days of the date you want.
I have booked it 4 times (once it was closed-off just before my date, so cancelled) and always within that 90 day window with no problems. Regards, Walter
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I requested tickets for late May on March 30th, providing a one week availability range . . . I hope my request doesn't get lost in all of the current confusion at the Vatican!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM

So what is the Scavi tour? We are taking a Context Rome tour of the Vatican. Should we also be trying to do the Scavi tour? Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:37 AM
euroenvy

simply put It is the underground tour of the excavations of the ancient street and grave sites of Peter and others..(where the bones believed to be Peter's where found ) There is graffiti ....stuff of interest to amatuer archaeologists....under the basilica...the bones have been moved up..

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM

wliwl, I strongly recommend the Scavi tour. It was a real highlight of my visit to Rome.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM

It has been longer than I planned to post my report on my recent trip to Rome however here is my Scavi experience. After numerous returned emails, one did not come back. I never recieved a confirmation but contacted my hotel to find out for me. They did and said we had a reservation. So, if you don't hear anything, that doesn't mean you don't have a reservation. Mine may have been blocked by my spam blocker. In any case, try not to miss the tour. It is fabulous.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM

Also - sometimes they have room on any given day so it pays to inquire at the Scavi office when you get there...you might luck out. It was also the highlight of my trip - altho rather claustrophobic - I don't think I could do it again. More threads on this - just do a search.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
BUT!!! what are ressies?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM

"ressies" = slang for reservations . . . . .
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
thanks janis !
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I emailed them a few days ago and received an auto response about tours being cancelled due to the Pope's funeral. I also received another email today indicating that they were working on my request and they would contact me soon.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope that I will be able to go.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:34 AM

What is the actual email address of the scavi tours? I keep getting it sent back wrong address. I've tried [email protected] and [email protected].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -