Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have only 1 day in Salzburg. What to see? What to eat? Where to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 09:21 AM
richardab

I have only one day in Salzburg. What are the best thing to see and do?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:06 AM
Bob Brown

We were there for 1 and a half days. <BR>During that time we went up to the fortress on the hill, Hohensalzburg, toured the Festspielhaus (where the Salzburg Music Festival is held), walked around the old town, went to Mirabell Gardens, and visited several of the churches. The one place we missed was <BR>Schloss Hellbrunn. Had we not been silly and taken a Sound of Music Tour we could have gotten that in. I thought the S of M tour to be a rip off and a 60% waste of time. We saw a few things of interest, none of which had much to do with the Sound of Music. <BR> <BR>The food at the Golden Duck, Gasthotel Zur goldenen Ente, is a good place to eat. It is on Goldgasse, just off of the Mozart Square. Prices are reasonable and the food is good.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:03 PM
richardab

WOW. Thanks!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:54 PM
LSKahn

You know, I have never been to Salzburg (but it's on the list) but I have seen the Salzburg Marionnetten Theater. If there is a puppet opera playing, go. These performances bear no relation to puppet performances for children. Really phenomenal!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:18 PM
Bill Fleites

I also spent a day and a half in Salzburg, and really enjoyed going thru Mozart's Houses, the Geburtshuas (birth house) and Wohnhaus which are now museums.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:51 PM
Bob Brown

Thanks for mentioning the marionette theater. I forgot about it. A very timely reminder. Getting different points of view even helps those of us who have been there!!!!! <BR>I hope to be in <BR>Salzburg for a re-visit late in the summer, and that is one thing I hope to see. <BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Betsy

I really liked the Wohnhaus. If you have to pick a Mozart sight I would choose it. It was Mozart's family house and a much better tour than the birthplace. Both are self-guided, but the Whonhaus is has an audio-self guided tour. You'll see many more instruments and learn much more about Mozart. If you're interested in Mozart that is. The Petrskeller (sp?) is an old monestary restaurant in the old town. The food was good and the setting fun. Supposedly Charlemagne ate there it so old.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 06:32 PM