Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I have four days only - Barcelona or Madrid (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-have-four-days-only-barcelona-or-madrid-598689/)

yalie98 Mar 13th, 2006 01:00 AM

I have four days only - Barcelona or Madrid

First time to Spain and I only have 5 days, 4 nights - which should I pick? Not worried about best side trips, etc...as i just have four days so basically which likely offers the best 4 day trip

valtor Mar 13th, 2006 01:33 AM

Very difficult question! Really I do not know what to recommend, both are beautiful, but different.

I hope that thsi will not be your last trip to Spain, so, you will visit now one of the cities, and the other, next time!!

yalie98 Mar 13th, 2006 01:38 AM

I will come back - i just got the luck of being able to do a 4 day trip so wanna pick the best choice

NEDSIRELAND Mar 13th, 2006 02:28 AM

Madrid: Museo del Prado, Palacio Réal, Centro de Arte de la Reina Sofia, Thyssen Colection. Madrid de los Austrias (Old Madrid), Madrid de los Borbones (Puerta del Sol, Cibeles, Puerta de Alcalá, etc.) and, if one of your 5-days is a Sunday, el Parque del buen Retiro (for street performers)

cruiseluv Mar 13th, 2006 02:35 AM

I ditto everything Nedsireland says and vote for Madrid ( go and spend time in Plaza Mayor as well). In addition , it seems I'm one of the few people in the planet that doesn't care much for Barcelona.

Also, with Madrid in case you run out of things to do you have some awesome day trips you can do in an hour to hour and a half from Madrid.

Good Luck!

nessundorma Mar 13th, 2006 02:35 AM

What do you consider "best" when it comes to traveling?

What time of year would you be going?

Graziella5b Mar 13th, 2006 02:43 AM

I agree that it is a personal question. Is like asking do you prefer chocolate or strawberries.... I see no sense in these questions. Because each person is so different and circunstances also vary a lot.

Intrepid1 Mar 13th, 2006 02:44 AM

Based on what little information you have given us I would have to agree that Madrid should be your choice.

I love both cities but overall, Madrid offers more variety and major "cultural" opportunities. Now, if there are other things you are actually interested in I suggest you let that be known or you could end up being disappointed.

yalie98 Mar 13th, 2006 05:28 AM

Thanks so far - I am most interested in getting the best "taste" of Spain in four days - and not feeling like I am in any given international city but somewhere "Spanish" - also, I prefer a place that is more lively, warmer, more unique.

kayd Mar 13th, 2006 05:40 AM

Barcelona is more "unique", Madrid is more "Spanish", both are lively and wonderful so you can't go wrong with either choice.

yalie98 Mar 13th, 2006 05:42 AM

Is it generally true that barcelona is a "more attractive city"?

Also, if I did Madrid/Seville combined would that beat out Barcelona?

nessundorma Mar 13th, 2006 05:43 AM

If you want Spanish, you want Madrid.

nessundorma Mar 13th, 2006 05:49 AM

As to whether or not Barcelona is the more attractive city, it depends a lot on how much you like Gaudi, and he's not everybody's favorite architect.

On the ohter hand, neither was Franco.

Barcelona is the "international global culture city" par excellence. It has always embraced an internationalist style and turned its back on Spanish nationalism. By contrast, Madrid has been the preserver of Spanish nationalism, or at least a very strong brand of it.

Spain's history is one of a beautiful multiculturalism constantly repressed, only to burst forward again. Right now, Spain is having a liberal renaissance, which is also being felt in Madrid.

The best itinerary, give your interests, is at least one night in Toledo, which despite some touristy corners, really is imbued with the incredible multiculturalism of Spains past, where Christians, Jews and Muslims created a very beautiful culture devoted to learning.

The Prado and other museums in Madrid are fantastic, and the night life and contemporary arts scene in Madrid is sophisticated.

laclaire Mar 13th, 2006 06:54 AM

If you want Spanish, you want Madrid. Barcelona is not only generally "more European" than Madrid, but it is strongly Catalan, which is different from Spanish.

What are some Spanish things you want? Flamenco? Food? Nightlife? Madrid has way more flamenco than BCN, and though I think the food in BCN is better, Madrid has it and it is also delicious. Nightlife is wonderful in both places.