Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have been to:Rome, Florence ,Venice, Cinque terre, Siena, Lucca and Positano what's next?next?

I have been to:Rome, Florence ,Venice, Cinque terre, Siena, Lucca and Positano what's next?next?

Old May 5th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a true Italy addict. I just found out we have 10 days this summer to travel and I only want to go back to Italy. We have friends in Rome so we will start there. Any wonderful places we must see? Hotel suggestions would also be helpful. Thanks
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:52 AM

Definitely, Lake Como!
And, I recommend the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio. (http://www.belvederebellagio.com)
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:54 AM
RAR

Off the top of my head I'd say Verona, Assisi, Bologna, and Perugia.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Sicily? Sardinia for a beach holiday? The Alps? Etc.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:14 AM

Another vote for Lake Como. It is a wonderful area.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM

I like Bologna for its less touristy feeling and its food. It is also a major train hub, so you can easily visit other cities for day trip: Ferrara, Ravenna!, Modena...

Similarly, Verona is a lovely city and train hub with good day trips: Padua, Vicenza, Mantua, Sirmoine.

I've stayed in both Verona and Bologna for five nights, seeing the sights in town, as well as taking two day trips. You get to see a variety of places without relocating every day.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:56 AM

Since you seem to really enjoy Italy, try my village sampler for an itinerary apart from the big cities:
Orta San Guilio
Castelrotto
Portovenere
Montalcino
Sperlonga
Pick 3 of 5 for a 10 day trip. Do not miss the Lakes--the best of Italy.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Well, north might be better for a summer stay if you're not a beach nut; if you are, head south and do Sorrento, Pompei, Ercolano and Paestum (if you like ancient roman/greek ruins), Ravello and Amalfi or some portion thereof.
And the ultimate south: Sicilia, best if you're driving! Some great spots throughout: Cefalu, Palermo, Erice, Segesta, Monreale, Agrigento and all of the islands surrounding it--the eolie, lipari and egadi.

North, I'd head for the heights:
If you haven't done Umbria, it's one of my favorite regions: Asissi, Orvieto, Spoleto, Todi, Pergugia...tons more if you're into medieval hilltowns! A bit cooler up there.
Emilia Romagna has Bologna, Ravenna and the amazing coastline with Bell'aria, Rimini down to Ancona.
Verona, Padova (maybe the barge trip to see the Palladian villas along the Brenta canal) and up into the smaller foothill towns: Asolo, Castelfrano Veneto and even lower Treviso make a fun jaunt.
As everyone points out, the lake region and the alps are also great for hiking.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:45 AM
kle

Our favorite was Lake Como - it was absolutely wonderful!
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved the suggestion of Umbrian hilltowns like Asissi, Orvieto, Spoleto, and Todi. I might add some other Tuscan towns such as Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gimignano and, one of my favorites, Volterra.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:32 PM
RAR

I wouldn't really recommend anything like Sicily or the Lakes on this trip, since you start in Rome. You don't want to have driving somewhere take up an entire day of your trip (which would happen if you went all the way up to Como or down to Sicily). I'd personally spend 6 days in Umbria/southern Tuscany (seeing Perugia, Assisi, Montalcino/Cortona etc) and 4 in Bologna (seeing Verona and Parma).
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I was thinking about Assisi, but with all of these other great suggestions I better start my homework. I'll start with Umbria. Would Rome,Assisi and Rimini(beach town for my teenage daughters) seem reasonable?
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:24 PM

How about the little island of Procida in the Bay of Naples, or Ischia - both beautiful and not far from Rome.
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

I haven't heard much about Procida. I will look into it tonight. As well as Verona, and bobthenavigator's list. The research is half the fun.
I need to add Portovenere and Stresa to the list of cities I have been, sorry. Portovenere was one of my favorites. It was one of the few places that we were actually with more Italians than Americans(in the summer).
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:21 PM
RAR

Here's the deal on Rimini: it's a beach town, with beach atmosphere (crowds, tanned beautiful people, etc). However, the beach itself and the water? Both are crappy. Beaches on the northern Adriatic tend to be this way (murky water bad beach). However, the beaches south of Ancona in Le Marche are supposed to be very beautiful (and filled with beautiful people of course). One of these beach towns is Sirolo, supposed to be one of the most beautiful beaches in all of Italy (makes the top 10 lists).

The only drawback to the beaches in Le Marche is getting to them: time consuming if you do not have a car. Le Marche has a lot of real cool places to see (according to my roomates, I have not been there), such as Urbino and Ascoli Piceno.

Good luck!