Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have a week off late january so which of the following shall I go with...plz share your opinion with me.

Search

I have a week off late january so which of the following shall I go with...plz share your opinion with me.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 11:44 AM
waynes

We are americans that moved to london a year ago. We still have not seen the rest of Europe due to our work schedules. We plan to tkae a week off the last week of january and need help deciding on a destination because all of the following look good to us. We will be travelling with our 3 year old daughter. Our choices areBR><BR>1- Spain- Barcelona OR seville<BR>2- Italy- either rome and florence(drive in countryside) OR rome and sorrento (drive along coast)<BR>3- France- Nice but do day trips to monaco, cannes and San remo (in italy)<BR><BR>

Old Dec 24th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Book Chick

My first choice out of the options you've presented would be Florence-Rome. So few crowds, and weather isn't bad at all.<BR><BR>My next choice would be the Nice-San Remo trip. San Remo's weather is temperate, but it still gets very few hours of sunlight that time of year. In Nice, unless the weather is dry, it's a bit depressing IMO to see the Bay of Angels.<BR><BR>Happy Travels,<BR>BC

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:01 AM
lori

this probably isn't the kind of help you were looking for but they are all good trips -- done 'em all in some form. i would lean toward france, but only because i've been there less. have fun -- i am jealous!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Andre

Waynes,<BR><BR>For a weeklong trip with a 3-yr old, I would go for Seville, with a daytrip to Cordoba on the AVE high speed train (lots of fun for a kid) and an overnight in Granada to see the Alhambra. What a blast!<BR><BR>Rome &amp; Florence would be a close second, perhaps a little less fun for a kid as there are more museums involved (but much better shopping...). You might even consider spending the whole week based in Florence and taking day trips to Siena and Pisa (your daughter will get a kick out of the leaning tower and you will all enjoy the beautiful cathedral).<BR><BR>A week is a bit too long for Barcelona and the city is not in the same league as the others you mention IMO (I know a lot of others will disagree).<BR><BR>Haven't been to the Amalfi Coast yet (shame on me), but fear it's probably pretty dead in Jan. Same goes for the French/Italian Riviera. Save them for spring or autumn.<BR><BR>Have a great time exploring this beautiful continent!<BR><BR>Andre

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Andre

Another idea which you didn't mention: Venice &amp; Cortina d'Ampezzo. That should have the necessary &quot;wow factor&quot; for a three year old: first a city where there are no streets, just canals. Then up to the mountains: snow, cable cars etc. What a week!<BR><BR>Andre

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:05 AM
John

Based upon the time of year a destination in Spain would be my choice.<BR><BR>And yes I would disagree with Andre - a week in Barcelona is super. If you decide on Barcelona you may want to consider spending a portion of the time in the resort area of Sitges, just South of Barcelona.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Myriam

<BR>I second Andre's idea: Venice and the mountains (could as well be the French Alps instead of the Dolomites - lots of skiing schools for kids). <BR>By the way, Sitges south of Barcelona is not an option most hotels being closed in January because of the absolutely off-season period.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 12:25 PM
travel bug

Spain so much to see. People are warm.