Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I have 2 itineraries... which one is better? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-have-2-itineraries-which-one-is-better-263683/)

Lindsey Oct 6th, 2002 01:07 PM

I have 2 itineraries... which one is better?

<BR>I made an itinerary a few days ago but now I am thinking of going to lucerne instead of Vienna. WHich itinerary looks better to you? <BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR>1-Edinburgh ( 5 nights) Will be there for their new year celebration that I have heard so much about. Will stay at the Balmoral.<BR>2-Rome (4 nights) Will stay at the de la ville Intercon.<BR>3-Venice (3 nights) Will stay at the metropole<BR>4-Vienna(3 nights) Will stay at the Bristol<BR>5-London (5 nights) Will stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel<BR><BR>Edinburgh-Rome via air<BR>Rome-Venice via rail<BR>Venice-Vienna via overnight train<BR>Vienna-London via air<BR><BR> <BR> (((OR)))<BR><BR><BR> 1-Edinburgh ( 5 nights) Will be there for their new year celebration that I have heard so much about. Will stay at the Balmoral.<BR>2-Rome (4 nights) Will stay at the de la ville Intercon.<BR>3-Venice (3 nights) Will stay at the metropole<BR>4-Lucerne (4 nights) Will stay at the grand national hotel. Will take a day trip to Interlaken<BR>5-London (6 nights) will stay at the Mandarin Oriental hotel.<BR><BR>Edinburgh - Rome via air<BR>ROme - Venice via rail<BR>Venice - Lucerne via air (thru Zurich)<BR>Lucerne - London via air<BR><BR>SO, which do you think is the better one?

Wayne Oct 6th, 2002 01:16 PM

It's a question of city versus mountains, and part of the answer for me would depend on the time of year. I've been to all those places several times, and I like either itinerary. But if you like some kind of mountain experience and can get to the area around Interlaken, you'll certainly enjoy it. On the other hand, since Vienna is my favorite city in the whole world, I'd never pass up a chance to go there.

SIngapore Oct 6th, 2002 01:35 PM

I am one of those people that love switzerland so I would go wit hthe 2nd itinerary. Still, it looks like you are going in winter and I have never been to lucerne that time of year.

Ira Oct 6th, 2002 02:28 PM

Either is good. My personal preference is Vienna.<BR>I'd also suggest taking the train from Venice to Vienna on a Sunday during the day, if possible. The mountains are beautiful.

Neither one Oct 6th, 2002 03:44 PM

I responded several times prior and will reiterate the comments. First, 5 days in Edinburgh is way too long. Three is more than enough to experience the big party and then get on with it. Then you should go straight to London. Or are you trying to go to London last since you will fly into London, how are you getting from home to Edinburgh. Have everything you buy in London shipped home. I bought tons of china and they shipped it from the Reject China Shop and it came fast and was so easy! I just don't understand why you would visit Vienna in the winter. It is a town for May-September, that is when it is charming. Otherwise it can seem sad and filled with many elderly people, a bit forgotten by time. It is so far east besides, takes forever to get there. You should do Vienna on a trip including Budapest and Prague some summer. Lucerne is very nice but unless you are skiers why would you go to Switzerland in winter. Lucerne is good for about one day max though very pretty and much much prettier in summer. Rome will be great and Venice will be great. Why in the world wouldn't you spend a few days in Florence in the middle and do side trips to Lucca, Siena, etc. Also why the Mandarin Oriental in London.

Melissa Oct 6th, 2002 07:12 PM

I agree 100% with "Neither One." Schedule more time in Rome and definitely add Florence. Skip Switzerland for now. I did the Vienna, Budapest, Prague thing and "Neither One" is absolutely correct.

Krista Oct 6th, 2002 07:33 PM

Vienna is a MUST SEE city, so keep that in your trip. I fell in love with Vienna so I would vote for Trip #1. And I would spend 3 nights in Rome and 4 in Vienna if I had my choice. Vienna is a wonderful blend of historic medieval city with a lot of modern conviences. As for Italy in general I spent two weeks there, saw it, and wouldn't go back. Vienna and Prauge on the other hand would be first stops on any European trip I make.

imhp Oct 7th, 2002 02:30 AM

Well, I too think 5 days in edinburgh it too much. I think 3 is more than enough. Also, I would skip Rome all together and go to Florence and tuscany instead. Both Lucerne and Vienna are pretty but I have not been to either in the summer.

1stone Oct 7th, 2002 03:57 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I think I would leave out Rome for another trip and Perhaps visit Salzburg or Prague instead but that is just me! If I had a choice between both I would go with the 1st one because I loved Vienna.