Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I hate to ask ... does anyone have some fashion tips for Spain and Portugal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-hate-to-ask-does-anyone-have-some-fashion-tips-for-spain-and-portugal-199182/)

Jennifer Jan 24th, 2003 12:14 PM

I hate to ask ... does anyone have some fashion tips for Spain and Portugal?

Thanks for reading my question and thanks in advance for any advice. I have read a similar thread, but am looking specifically for advice about Iberia. I am going to Portugal and Spain in April for a month. I am no fashion plate at home in the Pacific Northwest USA and have NO idea what the locals wear in Portugal and Spain. I am curious because: <BR>1) I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. I have heard that jeans, tennis shoes, and shorts mark one as a tourist; is this true? And is this necessarily a bad thing?<BR>2) I don't want to be disrespectful. I have read that men should not wear T-shirts. While I would never advocate my husband wear anything tackily-logoed, I wouldn't have assumed that a plain, say, navy blue T-shirt would be in terrible taste. Any thoughts?<BR>3) I don't know what the weather will be like. I would normally base my wardrobe around the color black, but am wondering if it will be too warm to wear it. Itinerary includes Madrid, Lisbon, Sevilla and environs. <BR><BR>Are there laundromats? <BR><BR>I feel vain for even asking, but any push in the right direction will help ease my mind. I know it's not a question of earthshaking importance. I am hoping to take my cue from what the locals wear as I assume their wardrobes would be appropriate culturally and weather-wise. I was surprised last year in London to see that everyone - us, locals, obvious tourists - looked much the same, clotheswise, evidence of a truly global economy.<BR>Can't tell you all how helpful I am finding reading the posts here!

Firefly Jan 24th, 2003 01:41 PM

Certainly on Maderia you won't feel out of place in t-shirts, jeans etc. We found that the locals dress very casually. The only place you may want to dress up is in the 'top' hotels'.<BR>Sorry, can't help for the rest of your itinerary. Have a great trip!<BR>

paul Jan 24th, 2003 02:29 PM

teenagers and early 20's wore jeans and running shoes last fall but I did not see a lot of t-shirts except on kids. casual wear in the cities ran to darker clothes with some style although jeans were more evident than I had expected. nobody seems to cover their head and baseball caps were not evident except on kids. at the resorts, casual is the mark of the day.

Debbie Jan 24th, 2003 05:36 PM

I found the people of Spain and Portugal to dress very similiar to people in the US, maybe more casual then where I am from. Lots of jeans, tennis shoes. You will be fine going with standard black pants and jeans. I will never wear shorts in Europe-or in the US for that matter, unless I am going to work out.

Barbara Jan 25th, 2003 08:20 AM

Dress last year was pretty casual (nice casual) Most everyone wore black...pants, jeans, sweaters or t-shirts. Not much color. <BR><BR>Both countries are great, we are returning this year. Good luck

Fiona Jan 25th, 2003 08:49 AM

Matador suits and mantillas are de rigeur!

patg Jan 25th, 2003 10:18 AM

It's not so much the color of the clothes as the fit. I've noticed that Spanish women wear their pants cut very tight, often with high-heeled shoes (tennis shoes only on the youngest group.) Low-riding pants are becoming more popular. Shirts or blouses also are designed to show off the curves, and earrings seem to be required by law - it's a very feminine look!

John G Jan 25th, 2003 01:29 PM

Portugal is a very Catholic, conservative country. You never see men in shorts unless they are playing soccer or working out. The Portugese also tend to wear dark colors, especially during the day. At night, when going out, you can be a bit more free in your attire. Wearing a short, tight skirt or teeny shorts will get you unwanted attention on the streets of Lisboa--older women will give you the evil eye. T-shirts are fine in Portugal, on both men and women. For Spain, Madrid is much more conservative than Barcelona. Madrid is like Washington DC, Barcelona like San Francisco. Dress as you would for these American cities.