Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I got ff tickets for Paris Aug. 5 to 20. I have until 11:50 pm to decide ...

Feb 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

My fear is that it would be too expensive. We do things on the cheap side. Can I get away with spending 4000 for those 14 days including food, rent a car, gas,lodging. We would spend 3 days in Paris take train to Normandy and rent a car for a week drive around and take the train to Bruge for the remainder of the time until we leave out of Paris. Please Help
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Well, in September '06 my husband and I spent 3 weeks in France for a total of 6k,including air. We don't stay in fancy places, and we were with another couple, so the driving expenses were shared. The Euro in those days was a little less...maybe $1.30.

Good luck!
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM

That would be around $285 per day, which is kind of difficult. Are you including the airfare in your $4000?
If not, you could get by, perhaps, but you'd need to do picnics for lunch and find inexpensive places for dinner. Remember how low the dollar is now -- I just add half again the amount when doing converting of euros in my head. Even though the euro isn't quite there, it keeps me on the safe side, with taxes, credit card and ATM charges. Let me know what you decide.
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

The tickets arent included here.
Feb 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM

We just did 12 days in the UK for a little over $3000 (not including airfare). We stayed at B&B's (nice ones), rented a car, and picnicked a lot. I am sure $4000 would do for a similar amount of time in France. Go for it!
Feb 18th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advise. We bit the bullet and got the tickets. I'll do my research in the hopes of getting great deals. Ideas are welcome.
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Book your hotels in France NOW, august is like national holiday month and Normandy will be crazy busy. All the good cheap hotels fill fast by french people who go there every year.
Paris will not be so bad, it is actually easier to get a price break in Paris in August then most other times, look for the words " promotions" ( sale) and "L'Ete promotions" ( summer sales) .
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:00 AM

We are going to France in June and I worked out very quickly that once you are out of the big cities the accommodation costs drop significantly, eg we are staying in a B&B (with an ensuite)in The Lot, in the Dordogne for 50 euros per night including breakfast. Also staying in a B&B (with an ensuite) in Provence at a rate of 59 euros per night including breakfast. Obviously we haven't stayed there yet and I have my fingers crossed that it will be ok, although some friends of friends stayed there last year and recommended it. I think you will be fine with your budget. I don't like to stop for restaurant lunches, to me it is a waste of several hours out of my day. I am happy with a picnic of a yummy baguette and a drink and some fruit.
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:13 AM

February and August are the two cheapest months for hotels in Paris.
Feb 19th, 2008, 02:13 AM
ira

Hi S,

You can do it, if you are very careful.

Paris/Normandy return is 30E pp. ($90)

Paris/Bruges return is 63E pp. ($185)

A week's car rental is $240.

That leaves you $3490 = 2370E

If you drive 100 mi pd, fuel will cost about 100E.

13 nights lodging is 1040E.

That leaves 85E pd for M&IE.

Assuming that you have bkfst at the hotel, a very light lunch and very little wine, your food budget will be about 70E pd.

Another $500 would be very helpful.

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Ira:
I could kiss you
You gave me the breakdown I was hoping for. I will look under the couch for lost coins in order to have more money.

I will go hotel or apartment hunting in a bit.
Thank you all for your help. My trip will be great and all thanks to you.

PS/ My husband got the tickets as a present for my 40th. It is up to me to plan the trip and save the money
Feb 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM

It's great that you went ahead and took the tickets; I'm sure you'll have a great time, and as others have said, outside of Paris things are still cheaper than you might think.

By the way, I often wonder whether, in detailing a budget for travel that includes food and transportation, people remember that they would be paying for some of those items at home as well?

For example, if you drive in your daily life you would be buying gasoline; if you use public transport you would be paying for that. Food costs may be less at home, but they exist nonetheless. So when you say you have $4000 for 14 days, is that over and above what would be your normal expenses for those items in 2 weeks at home?

Just curious about how most folks handle this.

Feb 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM

We did a hotwire hotel in Paris last April and lucked out. We were at the Hilton Eiffel Tower area and it was fine. I would have preferred the Latin Qtr. but the train system in Paris is very good so it was not big deal and we got a lovely room for $125 a night and yes that was US $ not the euros. We also had a room with more than a 3/4 view of the Tower which with the light show at night was wonderful.
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
rex

My wife and I set out to see if "it" could still be done (in 2006) - - Europe on "50 a day" (euros per person, that is - - and not have to go to obscure destinations , say... east of Vienna - - so we chose southwest France and northeast Spain)... we intentionally excluded transportation (this made the goal realistic - - and allowed us to drive extra distances to get to some of our budget choices), ... and because we wanted to see how much we would enjoy a relatively "obligatory" taste of Europe (lodging and meals) "through the Back Door" as our television friend would say...

...and we succeeded (you might say that we cheated the math a little bit because on our last night, we traveled overnight from Biarritz to Paris on a sleeper train, spending only 35 euros per person on our PREM fares - - that was our lodging for that night).

Nevertheless, we succeeded - - and we even had a 60 euro meal at least once (between the two of us, wineincluded).

We foud it useful to brose through LogisDeFrance.Fr - - and we chose at least two of thep places that offered a half board price in the sub-60 euro price range. One was in Oiron, another was in the Dordogne, and forgive me for not remembering the name right now. The half board dinners that were included at that price were not gourmet, but they were never bad, and they were certainly very typically _French_ cuisine.

We also cost-averaged down by staying one night in one of the delightful _casas rurales_ mentioned in Maribel's guide to the Basque Country.

I think you can do it swimmingly.

This year, we are shooting to spend 10 nights in Sicily (one of which in England) for $15000 (family of 6 adults) - - ALL-inclusive (except airfare.. pretty much all FF-awarded, same as you)...

Wish me luck.

Best wishes,

Rex
Feb 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
blh

We did 14 days last May in Paris, Normandy, and Brittany for about $4,000. The dollar was a little stronger then, about $1.35 to the €. We had a rental car for a week and had one train ticket from Rennes to Paris. We were able to save money on our accommodations by staying in B&B's in Normandy and Brittany and by renting an apartment for a week in Paris. We saved money on food by eating breakfast at the B&B's or in the apartment. We also ate several dinners back at the apartment.

We have a trip scheduled for October of this year to Paris and the Dordogne. We are hoping to spend about the same this trip as last. Even though the € is a little higher this time, we will only be in Paris for three days. It is always cheaper in the villages. We will have a kitchen in all our lodgings.

If you need to cut costs, you might save Bruge for another trip. Have fun planning - and have a great trip!