Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > I give up, can't figure out rail ticket myself, Rome to Florence

I give up, can't figure out rail ticket myself, Rome to Florence

May 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

I give up, can't figure out rail ticket myself, Rome to Florence

Hello

Well, after much searching and reading I still have some questions regarding getting my husband and I to Florence from Rome via the train. I was orginally planning on taking the IC plus train because it looked like a good price and not a long trip. However, it doesn't look like it goes to the Santa Maria Novella train station. So I'm guessing I need to book a Eurostar train. We will be visiting the Vatican that day and am not sure exactly how long the lines will be. So we don't know exactly what time we will be heading to Florence. But I understand you have to have reservation on a Eurostar train so do I have to do that now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
May 19th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt
May 19th, 2007, 06:23 AM

All you have to do is print out part of the schedule that probably contains the times you would want to leave. Arrive at the station 30-40 minutes before the train departs, circle the departure time of the train you want and give it to the teller. Tell him how many you would like and pay him. Your ticket will tell you the train number, the car you are on and your seat numbers. You will pay for the ticket as well as the add'l costs for the seat reservations.

Don't be scared to buy the tickets just before you want to leave.
May 19th, 2007, 08:32 AM

JMU,
As sandi_t says, there is usually no problem buying seats just before you want to travel. I highly recommend the Eurostar trains as they are faster and more comfortable. IMO...a 2nd class seat on the ES* is fine, but on an IC plus I would probably go with 1st class.

The word "reservation" on the ES* is a little misleading...it doesn't really mean you need to book way ahead, it is better to say that all seats are reserved. You are assigned a seat instead of having open seating as on most of the other trains. I traveled exclusively by train between cities in Italy during Easter week this year. The only time I had trouble getting the train I wanted was on April 1st. I was leaving Venice for Florence, but planned a day stop in Verona. I got the train I wanted to Verona, but the ES* I planned to use from Verona to Florence was booked when I arrived at the Venice station (bought both legs of the trip there). I was able to get another ES* an hour later. I later found out there was a festival in Verona that day which probably had something to do with the fact that it was booked.

Search this Thread