Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally organized some of my Sicily pics and posted them

If anyone's interested

http://community.webshots.com/user/ap6380
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:48 AM
RAR

That first shot is beautiful. I'll add my Sicily gallery to the thread too: http://www.pbase.com/overthere/sicily

Go to Sicily!
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:33 AM

AP6380 and RAR - lovely photos! I had to chuckle at AP6380's photo #9 at Verdetecnica - there's "our" cat (we stayed at Verdetecnica in September) - the grey and white one we named "Asiago" (the name having a great deal to do with what we were feeding him).

Old May 25th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Hi AP6380 & RAR - these pix are georgeous. Just as I'd made a decision on Malta for my next trip, these photos show up and point me (again) toward Sicily. What a dilemma. Wish I had time to do both in one trip.

Thanks for sharing,
adrienne
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I enjoyed all the photos so much on the two websites mentioned. Am hoping to visit Sicily this fall, am debating between mid-September or early to late October. Any advise on that? I have already done Malta and enjoyed that, would have taken the one day hydrofoil trip over but the waters were too rough and would rather do a few weeks anyway. Any difference much between the two times mentioned that I am thinking of going? halfpint
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Great shots, AP6380 and RAR!

Can't wait to leave for Sicily myself(less than 3 weeks to go). I won't have those great wildlowers though... although I also should be luckier weatherwise than AP6380 was and be able to do some swimming.

2 questions, one for each of you:

AP6380 - you mentioned in your trip report that you took a car service from Taormina to Catania airport. Was it OK & do you have any contact info?

RAR - Ragusa looks great! Where did you park and how long does one need to see the main sights?

Andre
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:23 AM
RAR

Ragusa was definitely a highlight (skip Noto for it, if you are time strained). You can park just about anywhere at the bottom of the hills. There are 2 hills, the small one (in the picture), and a big one in front of it (where I took the picture). Both are really really beautiful, atmospheric. If you are a fan of the small alleyway this is the place for you

You can do Ragusa easily as a daytrip from Syracuse, it's worth a long afternoon. We actually first went to the beach, and didnt leave for Noto and Ragusa until about 3 pm.. everything is pretty close together so you can mix-n-match without having to worry about hurrying about.
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:23 AM

Hi Andre - definitely hoping for some restaurant reviews upon your return!

Halfpint - we were in Sicily last year from September 15 to October 8th - the weather was very comfortable (in fact quite hot in the beginning) but by the time we were leaving it was turning cool and rainy. Don't know if that's representative of how the weather always is though - and I can say there is NO bad time to go to Sicily!
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:30 AM

RAR,

Thanks for the info - can one also park at the TOP of the hill(s)?

I'm actually considering taking in Ragusa on my way from Siracusa to Agrigento. The thing is, I also want to see the roman villa near Piazza Armerina, despite your warnings... I guess it depends on how early a start we get.

Elizabeth, I'm an extremely opiniated diner - watch this space for my reviews!

Andre
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Andre,
The front desk at my hotel, Pensione Svizerra arranged the car to Catania airport. We had to leave the hotel at about 3am, but I didn't want to give up the last night in Taormina! It cost 60 Euros. I had to skip over Piazza Armerina, we were on our way from Sciacca to Ortygia. It was quite a long drive, and we drove right by the Piazza Armerina exit. But, we only had one night in Ortygia and didn't want to arrive too late... there's always choices to be made, there's to much to see in one trip!
Old May 25th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Great pictures AP6380!!! Did not realized that Sicily could be so pretty and interesting...Thanks for sharing...
kismet
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:49 PM
RAR

You could park at the top of the hill (which is ironically where the newer section of Ragusa is) and then walk down. There's probably a bus that runs from Ibla (the lower antique town) to the top.
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

RAR- I loved your shots! The weather looked great during your trip.
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Those pictures certainly changed my mental image of Sicily! I don't know why I always thought it would be more sandy and rocky like Greece. Beautiful pics!
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:49 PM
cmt

Ah, these make me want to go again (and again and again).
Old May 27th, 2003, 12:04 AM
RAR

Sicily in the summer is very dry, so it loses a lot of its green (and flowers). But if you go there between November and June it should be really pretty.
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:46 AM

Adrienne,

When are you planning on doing Malta? My wife and I have decided on the country as well for our next vacation with a Sicily extension that these pictures only cemented (thanks AP6380 and RAR). I am not sure on how long your vacation is, or where you are coming from but let me offer you some suggestions about how you can get both.

First, getting to Sicily is a little more difficult IMHO than getting to Malta. We are flying into to London via JFK and then catching a direct flight to Malta the same day. Whereas the same plan to Sicily would involve a layover in Milan, Rome, FLorence etc. BTW, doing JFK to London b/c my ticket cost $300/rt. From there, I got BA r/t for $150 to Malta, so airfare only cost me $450, whereas if I was flying into FCO to try and got to Sicily it would have been more.

Second, once you get to Malta, getting to Sicily for a side trip is extremely easy. To do this I recommend contacting a Malta travel agency, as they have more excursions than you can shake a stick at. THe flight is only an hour, and some groups even offer day trips to Sicily (but why would you only want to do a day?!)

Third, Malta can pretty well be covered in a week. If you are planning a two weeks stint (like we are) then you have a week in Malta and a week in Sicily. Granted, I would love more time in the later, but given the constraints I am faced with, this will just have to do.

Anyway, would love to share notes with you. Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected].
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:58 AM
RAR

Hmm.. getting to Sicily isn't that hard, especially from London. Ryanair (ryanair.com) flies from London Stansted to Palermo for 30-70 pounds (depending on what day of the week you fly.. midweek is cheapest).
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:32 AM

This might be a little off topic... RAR, do you use a digital camera? what's your equipment set up?
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:17 AM
RAR

Yup, a Sony 717. No equipment or anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -