Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > I feel lke I have lost a good friend
Notices

I feel lke I have lost a good friend

Feb 8th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I feel lke I have lost a good friend

I I just logged onto Transport Direct for the first time in a few months and found this::
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...september-2014
My transport direct is GONE, ..maybe old news to this forum, but news to me. It has been replaced by several other sites, of which, I suppose, for my purposes, using public transportation, the closest would be TRAVELINE, http://www.traveline.info/
Two quick questions:
1.) Why was it shut down?? Just the usual perversity of fixing things that aren’t broken? I know there were a few flaws with the old site, but I managed to work around the minor eccentricities and loved it.
2.) Any one familiar with Traveline.info and like, dislike it..especially in comparison to the old transport direct site?
Feb 8th, 2015, 04:50 PM

You needed some new friends anyway.
Feb 8th, 2015, 04:56 PM

I've found Traveline to be very useful. It's been a long time since I used transport direct, so I can't make a comparison.

I put a Traveline app on my phone, which several times helped me plan a better alternative right on the spot when I had missed a train or a bus.

Google Maps works pretty well for public transportation, at least in London. I haven't used it much outside of London. I used Traveline in Scotland and in Northeastern England.
Feb 8th, 2015, 10:32 PM

Traveline is perfectly fine.

We've got better things to do with our taxes than fund multiple public-sector website developments doing the same thing. Transportdirect provided nothing Traveline didn't.

All public information websites absorb public resources: those run by governments almost inevitably soak up tax revenue just keeping alive.

The art of efficient government is to steward them responsibly.

Search this Thread