Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I dont care where you granny came from in Ireland and ease up on the village priests. Give them a break from trying to find info on your ancestors

I dont care where you granny came from in Ireland and ease up on the village priests. Give them a break from trying to find info on your ancestors

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:55 PM
James

Now I thought I posted this before but I guess didn't. Let me say first that I just love Americans and America! I lived in Boston for four years. What kind of annoyed me and other Irish though was that the minute we'd open our mouths, Americans would immediately say "Im Irish too", immitate our accents, ask us to sing "Oh Danny boy" and then proceed to say that their great grandmother was from Gallway.I dont care!!! Now its ok to be proud of your heritage and it is a grand one I must say but enough is enough. There is another thing that is pretty funny to us but annoying to the priests in Ireland. Droves of tourist descend several times a day upon the local parish houses to find out about their old granny Nelly Mc Doogle. The poor priests don't even answer the door anymore. They just hide in the pantry until these "American cousins" are gone. The poor devils feel so guilty about the whole affair that they run off to confession in other parishes!!
Now let me say again, you are as welcome as the two weeks of sunshime we get in July a year. We love America and our Irish American cousins. We love all Americans too. Its just that we are somewhat weary from it all. Please visit us!! But if you have too many pints(Not a bad thing)just dont feel the need to put on a brogue or to belt out " When Irish eyes are smiling"!!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:03 PM
teenswithnothing

You've been excused from the dinner table already?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:06 PM
Patrick

The Italian Americans are the same way I have heard and there is a world of difference between an American of Italian descent as there is an American of Irish descent. They should be so lucky.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:13 PM
BlackIrish

Wee an begorra, me lads. Me greatgrandmather was from Gallway... or was it Gall Stone. Can't remember due to the good Irish whiskey.
Now then, callin' the Catholic priest "poor devils" is only half right. Don't we know that they've been robbin Granny McDoogle for centuries?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:27 PM
Kelly Marie

Oh my God!! Im so sorry James!! I know so many Irish people where I live in Southie. I have to admit that after a few, I do the same things. My grandmother is from Dublin, and yes I do tell every Irish person that I meet. Come to think of it, they arent impressed! Uh? Anyway, I loved Ireland and the people and pubs were great. But oh boy, my girlfriend Dottie and I did sing "When Irish eyes" a few times Oh my GOD How embarassing!! OOPS! Top of the morning! Is that ok? We didnt go to church though!!! HA HA HA!!!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:32 PM
Uncle Sam

Come on folks! Ireland isnt even part of Europe!!! Get a life, James. Arent you being a little much you did live and work here. Didnt you earn money to bring back to the Emerald Isle? A lot of our green goes far over in the little green island. So why complain?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:42 PM
Charlene

Just a comment to poster named"teenwithnothing to do", this actually seems like valuable information. I think what James is saying is for Americans or anyone of Irish decent to respect the culture as it is in IReland. I think that people go there with these preconceived notions of leprachauns and thatched roof houses everywhere. Ireland is a modern country!! Can you imagine going to some other country and people expecting you to be something stereotypical such as a cowboy or something?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:49 PM
kerry

Oh Ireland isn't part of EuropeSam? Is that why its official part of the European community and have the Euro?? Uncle Sam--you are in idiot!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Millie

James ole Lad,
Do you know wher Slane is ? I think its North of Dublin. My Granma was from there. Maybe you knew her?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:21 PM
Dannyboy

OH the pipes are calling!!! Now James would you know Shamus O'Sullivan from County Sligo. He is a 4 cousin of mine. Our great grandparents were brothers?

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Albert

Why didnt you post this on St Patty's Day!