Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I don't know what to do about our 2004 trip to Iceland

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our next summer trip to Iceland but learned that a few days ago Iceland began whale hunting. We oppose such practice and this was a reason for us to not include Norway in our itinerary where commercial whale hunting takes place. I realized that it won't make any difference to Norway whether we come or not but it is important to us.
And now Iceland is another country in Europe that approved whale hunting.

Would you go?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Are there organized protests against whale hunting? You can join one of them.

I don't go to some countries (and don't take there my $$$) because of similar issues. And don't buy products made in some countries. And don't think you're alone. And don't think it won't make difference.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, FainaAgain
Your statement helps.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Pat: I would go, but that is beside the point. You have every right to vote with your dollars, so to speak. However, you may be depriving yourself in the process of depriving Iceland. I think you need to weigh who will be hurt worse. Keep in mind that probably every country has policies or practices with which you do not agree. Also keep in mind also that some of the policies/practices are part of the tradition and differences that we seek out when we travel. They may not be our preference, but that does not mean it is necessarily wrong for them to engage in such practices/polices.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Degas

How can we know how strong you feel on this subject? If its that important, then don't go.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:46 AM
ira

I'm not going.

Mobey Dick
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Degas

ira, based on your posts, I knew you had to be a larger than life figure!

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:19 AM
ira

Thank you, Degas.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:17 PM

I know next to nothing about Iceland except for what I've read and heard, especially with this story in the news. But, just to play the other side for a minute, as I'm in agreement with you regarding whale hunting.

I understand that two of the primary sources for the small population of Iceland are commercial fishing and tourism. Iceland says that killing these mink whales is a scientific study to see if they're depleting the fish supplies by what they find in the whale's stomachs.

So to me, it stands to reason that if tourism revenues drop from folks like us, then there is an even greater incentive to protect the other source of revenue - fishing. So, have to wonder if the number of tourists drop, that there's an increased chance that the whaling (and wailing) would continue.

But, I certainly do identify with the dilemma you're wrestling with. I'd feel the same way.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Intrepid

If you feel as strongly about this issue as you say you do then whether or not anybody else would go or not go is irrelevant isn't it? To thine own SELF be true...go somewhere else to spend your money and you'll feel better about yourself for having done so.

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 02:31 PM

You might be interested to know that Iceland is only harvesting 37 or 38 whales..under accordance with exsisting treaties. The ban on hunting has greatly increased the whale population and this in turn has seriously depleted other ocean species, mainly cod. They want to know exactly what the whales are feeding on and how to protect the other species and a food source for many.It is not wholesale slaughter
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Overfishing has hurt cod stocks a lot more than whales.
Fishing in general has become a very hot button topic in the EU. It's a complicated issue all around...
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 03:56 PM

BTilke I think makes sense to me. Whales have no natural predators. You can't really argue whaling as something similar to the logic behind deer hunting and thinning herds. This dog don't hunt, but I at least understand that stance, in that predator populations have been all but lost in many parts of the world. Top of the food chain predators don't need to be culled to control population.

Whaling on the other hand is much more like the badly considered bounty on wolves to protect livestock. Overfishing and cyclical changes in water temperatures and resulting fish movements are a more likely cause. I seem to remember the same issue being studied on the Gulf of Mexico and the Grand Banks.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 04:23 PM

I agree overfishing is the major problem.

These whales are not being culled for commercial purposes..they will be used for a one time scientific purpose. And maybe it does have to be studied to see if it is weather change or man-made.

we are having a similar problem in FL..alligators have been protected for years..in the last month we have lost several dogs and 3 people , and that is just in Central Florida.

Man seems to be the real problem!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:54 AM

There are more than two sides of this debate. Humans have been and will continue to eat wildlife. I mean cows and calves that have been fed crap, chickens that have been kept in very small cages with batteries, pigs, bullfighting (some would say it's cruel) not that many boycott Spain because of it. Unless the world becomes vegetarian in a hurry.
Respect of nature? There is no contrast in the fact that a nation harvest from the natures resources and that they respect the nature. Minke whales (which we are talking about here) are not and have never been "decimated" or threatened by hunting. They do not breed slowly.

Keep in mind, your somewhat ignorant and unilateral attack on Icelandic hunting and fishing is at the same time an attack on Icelandic culture and on the bases of which the Icelandic society and civilisation was founded some thousand years ago. There would not bee any Iceland had it not been for the harvest of fish and different sea mammals. Much of the Icelandic society is still dependent on the resources that the surrounding ocean gives, and they are in a completely different position of deciding what are good environmental policies in their own surrounding nature than anybody else in the world.

A lot of scientists around the world agree that in order to keep a healthy population of sea mammals one need to reduce their population. Very well, but in order to keep control of the numbers of seals along their cost, and still not stir the minds of well meaning, but in my opinion one-sided people, they want to run sterilization programs on the animals, using drugs. Now that is tampering with nature if you ask me!!

The best solution, in order to preserve both land and sea based animal life would be to stop hunting and fishing at all, but then we first would have to get rid of a couple of billion people or more, and that does not seem as a sustainable development either.
You see, everything is connected together, and as long as we fish, we also have to control the number of sea mammals in our oceans. I feel it?s ignorant to just attack one small part of a societies way of living, and criminalize a whole nation on the bases of this. Animals are killed all over the world, in order to feed people, and what the hell is the difference of shooting a dear in Rocky Mountains (often only for the sport of it), and hunting whales or other sea mammals for food and to keep a wildlife population healthy.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, we decided to chose another destination
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:28 AM

An Iceland tourism study found that 40% of overseas visitors go whale watching. People who run whalewatching boats say business has risen up to 25% over last year alone. Minke whales are prime attractions on these whale watching trips.
It is interesting that although this whale hunting is purportedly purely for science, the Iceland government wants it to remain hidden. The whalers are under orders not to kill any whales if media are watching. Not because of danger to the media (the boats are keeping a safe distance of at least one mile) but because, as Iceland officials admitted, they don't want the public to see any "ugly pictures."
Whale watching may have been part of Iceland's culture, but that on its own is no reason to keep it. Activities aren't virtuous simply because they're part of traditional culture--female footbinding was part of China's traditional culture. Female genital mutiliation is part of many African traditional cultures. Slavery was part of many cultures and still exists in some countries.
Pat2003, you are not telling Iceland what they can or can not do. But you are saying that if you disapprove of a country's practice, you're not going to spend YOUR tourist dollars there. That decision is not unilateral or ignorant, but perfectly legitimate.