I didn't find Zurich dull & I didn't find Venice fascinating

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm now admitting to this. Will I be shunned?

Venice - Waaay too many tourists (in Sept). I wanted to jump back on the boat go away. Exists for tourism now. Beautiful buildings but just didn't do it for me. (Was there for 5 days.) Oh yeah - terrible food. Of course, I had just come from the Dolomites which I found gorgeous.

Zurich - Loved walking around. Had a load of fun in a big, really big, beer hall. Wasn't dull.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM

I am pretty much with you there. Agree on Zürich, but wouldn't be *that* harsh on Venice.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM

They are going to get you for this, I don't like crowds and one of the reasons I wasn't crazy about Rome, that and the garbage.
The Dolomites, beautiful. I will be in the alps in four days.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM

As they or we used to say in the 70s - if it feels good do it (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else) so I applaud you for your honesty in the face of a potentially withering onsalught of ordnance!

As the French would say,

Bravo!
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM

Post this on the Meh thread.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Exists for tourism now.<<<

And high end shopping.

>>>I don't like crowds and one of the reasons I wasn't crazy about Rome, that and the garbage.<<<

I don't mind crowds, but haven't encountered any garbage issues in Rome. Where was this?

I've only spend a night in Zurich or just transited through so can't really rate it. We did use the tram system which was very good and the city looked very clean.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:44 PM

I visited Zurich many years ago and did not find it dull
We were lucky in Venice....not too crowded....loved it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have loved both Zürich and Venice.

Zürich takes a beating on Fodor's - not sure why. We lived there for 4 years and never lacked for something to do and found it a beautiful small and walkable city.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM

kenav: we were trailing or ahead of you, from the Dolomites to Venice.

Our reason for stopping in Venice was to spend two days at the Biennale. Yes, the city was overcrowded, but the Biennale was worth it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:06 PM

Everyone is entitled to different points of view. And every tourist is looking for different types of experience.

Disliking Venice and liking Zurich are not wrong - just a less common point of view.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Not many arrows coming my way yet, although not sure what Bedar means about filing this in the "Meh" thread. (My opinions? His/her opinions about Zurich/Venice? My bringing this up in the first place?)

Perhaps the haters of Zurich/lovers of Venice aren't awake yet? Or are entranced by my fabulous honesty? Or secretly agree?
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, so you disagree with some people about Zurich. I have never found it "boring" either. Be glad you aren't actually required to travel with them.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never been to Zurich so can't comment on that.

Venice: I took a quick look in June '04 to decide if I needed to return - and even then I found a quiet square just off the main drag. But I went back for a proper visit in November '06 and aside from the route from St. Mark's across the Rialto Bridge, no crowds at all. In fact, Dorsoduro was so quiet at night it was a bit spooky. Had a wonderful time, but wouldn't have enjoyed it with bad crowds. I think they need to start banning cruise ships, or at least cutting back.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
kja

I enjoyed both, if for very different reasons. I'm another person who I doesn't understand why so many people on this board diss Zurich. I was fortunate to visit Venice at a time that wasn't too terrible crowded, but it struck me as one of those places that would be worth seeing even if crowded.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We liked Zurich, too.

I thought the preferred word for Venice was "magical." Anyway, I'm not a big fan of Venice but the hubs likes it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 06:47 PM

Always enjoy Zurich. I go there at least twice a year, and always spend at least 3-4 days there. Never been to Venice...
Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 10:32 PM

I enjoy Zurich. It's a manageable city, and the thing I like is it doesn't exist for tourism (like Bruges, which I didn't care for much, for that reason). I've stayed in Zurich a couple of times just before flying out, and each time I enjoyed it. I MUCH prefer Zurich to Lucerne for reasons stated above. I haven't been to Venice since I was a teenager. It was magical then, but now? I just don't care for places that exist solely for tourism.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 01:00 AM

I haven't been to Zurich, so I don't have a comment about it.

Venice seems to polarise opinions, very few people seem to find it just ok. It's either loved (me) or hated with great passion.
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 03:15 AM

Zurich does get an unfair beating on Fodors. It has a lot going for it -- the city is much more than expensive shops on/around Bahnhofstrasse.

I would only go to Venice in winter, when the tourists numbers are less overwhelming. And the big cruise ships aren't there (I hope).
Old Nov 4th, 2013, 05:30 AM

I didn't find Zurich at all dull. In fact, we liked it very much and found it a lovely place to relax for a couple of days on a 3 week trip. Not sure we'll go back as Switzerland, except for the Alps, is not a favorite.

Venice is a favorite. To me, it is stunning place. While there are crowds, they have never taken away from our enjoyment of this fabulous city. But I like Florence better. To each his/her own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -