I can't make up my mind

Search

I can't make up my mind

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't make up my mind

I have considered Ravenna, Parma, Bologna, Florence, and Mont. Terme. I have 4 days between Venice and Rome. I will be taking the train. I would like it to be a non stop if possible. I will be traveling alone and hauling my suitcase myself. I havent ruled out any of the above cities. I am looking to hear from you all about places that have easy train access and that have a nice town area with restaurants and shopping. I love the arts too. Where would you go?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Though any of the four would be a good place to stop in (hey, what isn't a good place to stp at in Italy????), my initial reaction is Florence, especially if you are an art lover. My second choice would be Bologna.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The first thing on your wish list was restaurants. That's Bologna. Then you mentioned shopping and lastly the arts. That's Florence.

Where would I go? Florence.

Consider day-tripping to San Gimignano, Siena, Lucca or Pisa or just spend one day in nearby Fiesole. Heaven.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Florence, Florence, Florence. I was there a year ago, only 3 days. Food, sites, shopping the best as well as the people. Can't wait to return.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Florence but it was only for 2 days. I saw David and the Uffizi but there was alot I didnt see. Trains from Venice to Florence are nonstop and the same from Florence to Rome. Should I go back to see things you didnt see, or choose a place I havent been to?
Decisions, Decisions !!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Have you considered getting out of the cities a little? Try Pescara, although can be very crowded during the summer and virtually shut down in winter. But still a great place.
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

jibboo,
I never heard of Pescara. I tried to look it up on the web and only found some expensive hotels and no pictures or map of the area. Do you know any good links?

Thanks
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Try these two I don't know how helpful they may be though.

http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/nicover/pesc_eng.htm

http://www.regione.abruzzo.it/turismo/en/#1

Here's what I know about the area.

A friend from Swtizerland recommended going there when I was backpacking Europe. It is in the Abruzzo region almost directly on the opposite coast from Rome which is where I took the train from to get there. I only stayed for about 3 days and It is honestly a pretty small area with not a lot of touristy attractions and stuff to do other than the restaurants and bars. Most of which where closed already when I was there in Sept. Really the only reason I'm suggesting it is because after backpacking most of the major European cities for a few weeks, I was pretty stressed by the time I was leaving Rome. Rome is great don't get me wrong but hard to navigate, crowded and loud. I needed some fresh air, Pescara was a great next stop for relaxing on the beach drinking some cheap wine and having some good eats.

Try looking at some guide books they may be more helpful.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

I have decided on Florence. 2 days just didnt do it justice. I will see David again. I will also go inside the Duomo this time. I will go to several piazzas I didnt get to. I will see the Loggia and go to Piazza Michelangelo.
There is alot of ground I didnt cover and I know the 4 days will go quickly.
I am booked in the san Lorenzo hotel. It looks nice and comfortable.