Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I blew it and didn't buy the tickets. Anyone seen them go back down again to low fares?

Search

I blew it and didn't buy the tickets. Anyone seen them go back down again to low fares?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw a fantastic bargain on ticket prices US to Europe on Monday, debated about whether or not to do it on Tuesday and needed to check out some other work, and family obligations before buying. Got everything worked out by Wed. am and decided to purchase. They were gone. What had been $1100 for 2 people on Monday & Tuesday was $1350 Wed. a.m. and $1800 Wed. afternoon. Have you ever had this happen and then seen them go back down again? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that lots of people look for bargains right after midnight on Tuesday because that's when airlines make pricing changes. If this is the case, unfortunatly for me, the pricing structure went the other way. By the way, if it makes a difference, these were for 2 months from now.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:54 AM

Hi julies - don't know if you are still looking but I see Air Canada from La Guardia thru Montreal to Paris on May 16, return May 30 for $590 per ticket, all in. AC is a pretty good airline and the price and route seem reasonable.
Check www.Kayak.com
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
nma

We also purchased our tickets last spring through kayak.com and we flew on Air Canada. I believe we paid $1200 for 2 round trip from Houston to Rome. (not that that matters now) Good Luck!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:00 AM

Similar thing three years ago with a Delta Dulles to Marseilles had been $400 - steal! 'Waited to confirm details w/DH and by 11 a.m. next day it had spiked to $850! Ended up getting Air France two weeks later for $660. I can live with happy mediums. Good luck, Julies!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

These were on IcelandAir MSP to Frankfurt with a return from Copenhagen. And all of their ticket prices across the board seem to have jumped in the past day. I don't know if they filled all the seats they needed to fill by offering the low prices or what.

I'm not dead set on that particular airline or itinerary, but the price was right. Of course, the issue is that I am now obsessed with airfare ticket prices and want to spend all of my time (which I don't have) just checking out prices. Hope to find something comparable soon.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM

Delete the cookies on your computer and try again. Sometimes the site won't show the same fare for the same person twice.

I had the same experience on IcelandAir's website - everyday the price would be different - I found a $600 roundtrip arriving in CPH and leaving from OSL and it was gone the next day and back the next week, Infuriating. So I just bought the $577 roundtrip to Copenhagen (For June travel) and lo and behold, the flight I'd originally wanted was back at it's original price. So you may get your flight next week.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM

I know this will sound crazy, but have you tried Orbitz? I have had the exact situation happen to me TWICE. I find a great fare (everywhere) and then, a day or so later, when I decide to buy it, it's gone. Well, both times, it's been gone everywhere (including the airline's website), but I've been able to buy it on Orbitz. I don't know if their system doesn't update as quickly as the others, or if it's a "cookie" issue, but it's worked for me twice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM

If you have time, check 3-4 times a day. When we bought our tickets to Rome last summer, the fares varied from $1075 to $1200 to $1400 in a single day (I was waiting for the $1075 and I jumped on it.)
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM

I've had that happen and then they would go down again a week or so later. I think part of that is just them selling out in the cheapest category and then having cancellations or something.

I don't think any of those websites cover Icelandair (Orbitz, et al), so I don't think you can check them on there. I might be wrong on that, but I've never seen Icelandair on any of those. I've given up on travelocity, and I used to like them, as they really edit the airlines they show now. Even if you manage to find out the function which is obscured where they show you "all" airlines, not just their faves, they don't list all the standard options you can see on other websites.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM

I had similar experience here and probably worse. Thursday PM saw open jaw ticket to Paris and back from London on Kayak.com for $750 for summer travel. I decided to buy but when it redirected me to orbitz (the vendor), orbitz website said the tickets were no longer available. I did search directly on Orbitz.com, it still displayed the route with $750 tag. But when I clicked on the buy button, it said "sorry".

I really Hate this, wondering whether this is a marketing hook.

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM

I bought tickets from priceline.com for $621 rt to london from east coast for july travel. The airline turns out to be virgin and non-stop service. I guess there are still tickets left at the prices.