Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   i am trying to figure (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-am-trying-to-figure-727285/)

guanciale Aug 8th, 2007 07:15 AM

i am trying to figure

I am trying to figure out if a two-week trip starting in Paris, traveling through Switzerland (Lucerne or Montreux?) and Salzburg Austria, ending up in Ravenna is feasible. Just booked a flight to Paris for next June using our miles and would like to stay there at least 4 nights at the beginning. Would like to spend some time at the end on the north Adriatic before flying out of n. Italy. Would like to see Salzburg for a couple nights if possible. Probably using trains. Would love to hear from anyone who has made these trips...which trains routes used and appx. duration from Paris to the Swiss Alps area; from Alps to Salzburg; and from Salzlburg to Ravenna? I'll tackle Rail Europe next! Thanks very much.

vjpblovesitaly Aug 8th, 2007 07:18 AM

You might want to use a different title for your post that refers to what you want. Unless Null is a place you want to visit, that is.

Dukey Aug 8th, 2007 08:04 AM

FORGET RailEurope for now...and yes it can be done by rail

first, you can check on all of these routes by using the GermanRail site:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

If you think you might need passes (doubtful) enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com

PalenQ Aug 8th, 2007 08:45 AM

The only pass that may be good is the Eurail Select Pass, good in France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy (www.eurail.com)

guanciale Aug 8th, 2007 09:32 AM

Whoops! Just realized I forgot to give my topic a title, and I think Fodor's must haven given it "Null!" So sorry...I will repost with a suitable title (a bit later, as my server is really acting up this morning).

Thanks very much vjpblovesitaly and Dukey. I will definitely check out the Germanrail site. Have also heard of sbb.ch for Switzerland and voyages-sncf.com for France, but have not yet looked into them. Dukey, have you had any personal experiences with these areas/routes? Thanks.

PalenQ Aug 10th, 2007 07:01 AM

For understanding the rail trip and passes i always refer to two great sources - www.ricksteves.com has a lot of trains and passes in these countries and www.budgeteuropetravel.com to get their free and excellent European Planning & Rail Guide that has extensive coverage of the area you're going thru - rail maps and a general primer on using trains.

guanciale Aug 10th, 2007 07:59 AM

Thanks! I eventually posted this topic with a real title ("Parid to Salzburg to Ravenna routes"). This is very helpful. I should definitely check out R. Steeves...I certainly see his show a lot. Palenque, have you ever stayed in Ravenna, or do you have any charming beach area town to recommend along N. Adriatic (probably flying back out of Bologna)?

PalenQ Aug 10th, 2007 08:03 AM

No Ravenna is one town i've never been to but hope to soon - because of the old mosaics and not for the town, which friends say is so-so.

I have stayed in Rimini nearby and is the usual modern beachfront but i don't know the area well enough.

I went from Rimini and stayed overnight in weird San Marino - short bus ride from Rimini.

guanciale Aug 10th, 2007 08:19 AM

Would love to hear about weird San Marino. If we do stay in Ravenna for several days (looking for quaint town, close to beach...helps with kids), I was thinking it would be interesting to visit it.

Pvoyageuse Aug 10th, 2007 08:31 AM

Chioggia is a charming village on your way from Venice to Ravenna (small detour). It has a beach and is much more pleasant than the very touristy and noisy Rimini.

The old town of Ancona is very nice.

I stayed in hotel Bisancio in Ravenna.
Don't miss St Appolinare in Classe, a few miles away. The mosaics are superb and the setting wonderfully peaceful.

Abbey de Pomposa is worth a visit if you drive from Venice. Also the Theodoric mausoleum at the entrance of Ravenna.

PalenQ Aug 10th, 2007 08:48 AM

Chioggia is one town that has drawn my attention and Pvoy just cemented my desire to go there.

You can get there from Venice by bus and boat i believe.

might be the type of smaller gem you're looking for

guanciale Aug 10th, 2007 06:12 PM

Great, thank you. I'll check out Chioggia and Ancona, as well as the sights in Ravenna!