Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am so confused on Paris/Provence hotels!

Feb 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

help...I planned a great trip last year for Italy never having been there with the help of this site, Rick Steve books and lot of reading. But I am lost on this one. We are flying into Zurich in Oct, then have 3 weeks to make our way to Paris for our last 4 days & 20th anniversary. I need some suggestions, riding routes, a week in Provence at small town inn, a wonderful hotel in Paris to walk the city from, not too modern but not flowery either. Can you help give me a starting point & I will go from there but right now I feel overwhelmed with choices. Thank you so much!
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM

How I'd approach Paris is to figure out which arrondisement you want to stay in... then just look at hotels in that area (rather than trying to figure out which single hotel in all of greater Paris is right for you).
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM

I agree with suze. Also, when looking at hotels it is a good idea to check its location relative to the metro stations. As long as you're close to one, you shouldn't have any trouble getting around.
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good....what is the best for foot traffic, cafes, wine shops etc. but with a neighborhood feel, the 7 and/or 8th?
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM

I'd chose the 6th or 7th rather than the 8th I believe.
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:33 PM

My girlfriends and I stayed in two apartments in the 7th this past summer. However, as much as we loved the neighborhood, it did take us awhile to get anywhere -- we wanted to walk rather than Metro so as to take in all that Paris has to offer. I have stayed in the 6th before and I believe that is more central to everything you might want to do and see in Paris.

As far as Provence, we also stayed in a village in the Luberon/Vaucluse area called Pernes les Fontaines at a guesthouse/B&B - Le Lavandin (www.lelavandinprovence.com). We found it to be centrally located to the places we wanted to see. The villages/towns that we visited were:

Bonnieux
Roussillon
Gordes
Menerbes
St. Remy
Pont du Gard
L'Isle sur la Sorgue (fabulous market on Sunday mornings)
Vaison-la-Romaine
Gigondas
Seguret
Cassis

We loved every minute of our time in Provence and can't wait to get back to see villages we just didn't have the time for.

Spend some time in your local bookstore or the internet deciding what towns/villages "sing" to you in the guidebooks. A Provence map (and particularly the Luberon/Vaucluse area)
should give you an idea of where you might choose as a base.

How fortunate you are to have so much time for this trip!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

Feb 21st, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I think I will concentrate on the 6th!! Vicotia Palace or Hotel Littrelooks good. My main interest (beside Paris of course!) is to walk from our hotel to restaurants etc. And to be able to walk at night to dinner & stoll thru the streets. Is that possible? We loved that about Rome & Venice. I am getting a guide book tonight to research Provence areas and luvparee you're information is great, I will be checking it out. I feel better already! Thanks!
Feb 21st, 2007, 03:00 PM

St. Remy is small without being so small it goes dead at night. Close to Avignon so you can TGV to Avignon then pick up a car and go. There are a number of hotel recs here for St. Remy if you type the town name into search this forum above.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Yes,you can stroll to your heart's content most anywhere in central Paris! The 6th between Blvd. St. Germain and the Seine is very fun with many little streets to stroll discovering cafes and restaurants and something fun around every corner. On my first trip to Paris, we stayed on Rue Jacob and just walked, walked, walked -- all the restaurants have their menus posted outside, we would check them out, and decide what might appeal! It's a very touristy area, but to me, it was great fun and a great location.

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee
Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

I did Paris/Provence last May and was thrilled with both my hotel selections. In Paris I stayed at Hotel Millesime on Rue Jacob. They have a package which includes breakfast as well as some other throw ins. It was very good value and in a fabulous neighborhood. In Provence we stayed at Chateau Alpilles in St. Remy and the hotel was total luxury. We had an upgraded room (mid range) that was devine. We rented a car at Avignon and found St. Remy a perfect spot to use as a home base.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the ideas, I've been on the computer all day! I think we will split time in Provence between 2 places, one that is in St. Remy to walk at night to restaurants...perhaps something like http://www.vrbo.com/79367 and then La Lavandin for a week? Did you see the Studio when you were there? And is this a hilly area? I know, dumb question but I asked the same about Italy before we went & now I can see it in my mind like you can for Provence. From waht I am seeing the area is very much like Tuscan hill towns. The help is appreciated!
Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

Having not been in Tuscany (yet!!), I can't make any comparisons. But, yes -the Luberon/Vaucluse is somewhat hilly. As I recall, driving TO a village was fairly flat and easy with views for miles. However, the "perched" villages are up winding roads and then usually (depending on where you park) the walking in the villages is uphill, around corners, downhill, etc. -- very charming.

Two of our gals stayed in the studio at Le Lavandin and loved it. It is pictured on their website -- I remember there's a dress hanging on one of the cabinet/closet doors. There is a small kitchen area with frig, dishwasher, counter, stove (I believe). It is very chic and larger than the guestrooms! It is connected to the salon of the guesthouse. I am so happy you're thinking of staying at Le Lavandin. I know you will fall in love as we did!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

P.S. Make sure you get to L'Industrie restaurant in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. Georgia will know the pizza, but I believe is is the "Savoyarde," --it is absolutely the best creamy cheese pizza you'll ever have -- we all thought we had died and gone to Heaven (and we're from the area of the Chicago-style pizza!). We dined there our first night and, although we all wanted to get back there for one more pizza, time just didn't permit.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM

Hi
Can't think why you'd visit France and go all the way to L'Isle sur la Sorgue to eat a pizza.
Just a thought
W
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I think luvparee is trying to give me all kinds of information about the area, which is what I asked for. We plan to go to L'Isle sur la Sorgue for the market, so pizza sounds good! LaLavadin just contacted me & said she has the Studio avail for our dates. Since we will not have any of the other rooms, is there a view from the Studio? And if there is a town near for restaurants, what is the driving time, for dinners & such. It seems the plans are coming together! Thank you!
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:24 AM

I've also heard about L'Industrie from other sources as a good place to eat while visiting market day in Isle sur la Sorgue.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:31 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Brighton which has a great location. It is directly across the street from the Tuileries Garden, Louve adn Tuileries Metro stop. The rooms have all been renovated which is good and bad.... good because we checked out one of the renovated rooms on our last visit and they are quite nice and bad because now they have raised their rates beyond what we want to spend so we're not staying there this trip
Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

So glad you are all good for Le Lavandin! You will love it! The main terrace of LL is just outside the salon of the guesthouse which is connected to the studio by going down a couple of stairs. There is no view over the countryside if that's what you're asking. BUT, the view of the gardens on the property are spectacular! There are several spots around the property to sit and relax and just take in the property and, of course, sitting by the pool, you're in the middle of the lavender field, the roses, and the cypresses!

The town of Pernes les Fontaines is perhaps a 10 -15 minute drive away. We had dinner one night at "Dame l'Oie " which was wonderful! Very French bistro/restaurant with friendly owners and servers. Make sure you get directions from Georgia as to where to walk in Pernes to see all the 40 fountains!

I'm so excited for you!

joy/luvparee
Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM

My favorite restaurant in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue is "Le Jardin de la Quai."
We love dining in the beautiful garden. The chef was formally at the Mirande in Aix.
I love visiting the Luberon but we always stay in Les Apilles, close to friends, our favorite olive oils and restos.
Feb 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

What a coincidence, a co worker just stayed at Hotel Brighton in Paris & loved it! Considering most of the prices of other places in that area, it still seems reasonable for an incredible view. So we are in the process of contacting them. LaLavindin is only open on days we wnat to book the other rental in St. Remy!! Both places are only open from the 20th on. What to do?! Any other suggestions for the Luberon or Mont Ventoux area?
Feb 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Mont Ventoux area. I'm in love with Crillon-le-Brave!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO