Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am researching to death! Help, we fly into Zagreb and out of Dubrovnik

Nov 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

We fly into Zagreb on August 12th, we won't be jetlagged we will be comeing from Istanbul. We then fly out of Dubrovnik on August 19th.

I am getting overwhelmed on different itineraries, please help.

I was planning on renting a car in Zagreb. [We are a family of 3] We would then drive to split then ferry to dubrovnik. But now I am worried about the time factor. Is this too ambitious? I could fly from Zagreb to Dubrovnik for cheap on croatia airlines as an option to cut down on driving. Help, thank you in advance,PJ
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM

By doing the plane instead of the ferry/car thing, your only real loss is missing Trogir. Many people like Split, but many don't.

Your time is rather short. I'd vote for flying. You could still rent a car and see Plitvice Lakes for a couple of days, then fly to Dubrovnik.

I'd encourage trying to stop at Hvar or Korcula, but the ferry schedule is a little tough for people with firm dates. And you can do some day trips to a few islands from Dubrovnik.
Nov 17th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

thank you Christy, I am looking to fly now. Anyone else have itineary advice?
PJ
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM

you do have 6 full days.
You might wish to see Zagreb and Plitvice, then fly to Dubrovnik and visit Mentengro from there.
Driving to Split and taking the ferry may take too long .
Keep in mind that you are traveling in the hight of the tourist season so roads and ferries will be jammed!
Make sure you book flights and hotels well ahead of time.
Nov 17th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

thank you, from my research it doesn't look like I can book on croatia airlines any further than 6 months out, kayak has been giving me wrong info.

I booked Hotel central in Zagreb for one night. I am not sure about Split, the ferry between dubrovmik and split is a long ride. I am already having problems with availability in split.

I was thinking about this itinerary:zagreb one night

fly to Dubrovnik and just cocentrate on that area

suggestions would be helpful what islands to ferry to and where ot stay in that area.

I made a mistake we are flying out August 18 not the 19th, late flight to london.

Nov 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Please, oh please don't miss Plitvice Lakes Park. Yes, it's that good. You can easily drive there, and from there drive to Split. Hvar was the best island we went to. Spend a couple of days there before going down to Dubrovnik. If you go right to Dubrovnik from Zagreb, you're missing the best of Croatia.
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I was hesitant eliminating Plitvice Lakes Park so I am scrapping my flight option.

Now I am thinking fly into Zagreb, immediatly renting a car and driving to Plitvice Lakes Park. Then spend the night, and start our journey to split. Then maybe ferry to HVar then ferry to korcula then end up in Dubrovnik.

Is this doable?
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM

This is a much improved plan!! Now you'll really see Croatia. We didn't ferry between Hvar and Korcula, but there is a ferry. We found that there are more options in Croatia than you can find on-line. Once you're there it's easier to find them.

We were in Croatia for 2 weeks last summer and LOVED it. Click on my name and look for my posts from summer 2006 and you'll find my very, very long Croatia report with alot of details!

You're going to have a great time!
Nov 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

OK

check out the itinerary:

August 12 Zagreb to Plitvice lakes, drive 1,5 hours, spend the night and next day

August 13th leave Plitvice drive 3 hours to Split, overnight but leave early the next morning

August 14th leave Split to Hvar 8:40
arrive in Hvar spend the night

August 15th leave Hvar at 9:00 and arrive in Korcula at 12:40 spend the day and night

August 16th leave Korcula 13:00 arrive Dubrovnik 16:15 spend the 17th and plane leave 4:00 in the late afternoon for London

sacrifice Split, and hopefully not too tight, what else would you tweek?
Nov 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM

or
you can visit Plitvice, return to Zagreb and fly to Split.
Getting around the ferries without a car might be easier.
Again - the driving time anyplace in August may be longer than guide books tell you!
Nov 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

this is what I was thinking, drive to split frm plitvice park and then leave the car and do the rest of the trip by ferry. thank you everyone for your input
Nov 18th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Yes, it's good to leave your car in Split, you won't need to have it traveling south. Buy your tickets for the ferry the evening you arrive in Split, if possible. If not, early the next a.m. It only takes about 2 hours to see the ruins in Split, so fit it in if possible. They are right at the harbor.

If you have a hard time catching a ferry between Hvar and Krocula, Hvar is worth more time!
Nov 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Hi,

I hope you are one of those who think that a holiday is exploring, rather than relaxing. To me this would be waaaaay to much in 6 days...

Dubrovnik is not that big, but I rather stay there, take the ferry to Korcula for a day or two, and have then return. It will give you some time to go swimming, eating, reading etc.

AND it seems you have a kid? In all my experience with children there is one thing I have learned. They really like to stay in one place
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM

I agree with Loveling. We traveled Croatia with our child, and took at least two weeks to do the same itinerary you're suggesting. It wasn't exhausting, but it was busy, and we were there in off-season. I can't imagine doing the same trip in six days in August unless your kid is over 10.

If you end up missing Hvar or Korcula, there are still islands close to Dubrovnik worth visiting. I'm still voting for the plane trips over the long ferry rides.

It depends on what you prefer your vacations to be like. Some like being on the go all the time. I loved the slow nature of the Adriatic and soaked in it as long as I could.
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi, thank you for all the thoughtful replys. my son is 17, so that is helpful with the busy schedule. we travel really light so the moving around won't be as big of deal. I think we will keep as is, and hopefully my family doesn't kill me.

My choices of hotels are:
Knezevic Guest House, Plitvicka National Park one night
hotel Kastel split one night
V&P Club Villa Ragusa in Dubrovnik

need help with Korcula and Hvar yet, so any suggestions alot of the b/bs are already booked.

thanks PJ

PS help with car rental also, I am finding some expensive rentals.
Nov 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I have not stayed at the V&P Club Villa Ragusa in Dubrovnik, but I think it is a great location!

I hope you will enjoy your trip, you are in for a treat, Croatia is really amazing.

And we are all different, so I guess your plans will fit your familys likes, and that is really what is important
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:19 AM

pjsparlor - Your itinerary looks similar to the one we have planned for March but in reverse. We, too, are trying to squeeze in a visit at Plitvice Lakes because it looks amazing. This will probably result in us spending only one night in Split (or a pass thru on the way to Plitvice), but that seems to be okay.

For rental cars, I have found the best rates at economy car rentals. Much lower than Auto Europe and Sixt.

We also have a reservation at Villa Ragusa in Dubrovnik, and we are staying at Villa Depolo in Korcula:

http://www.korcula.net/firme/private/korcula/depolo.htm

Haven't booked for Plitvice yet, but I am going to check out the place you mentioned.

Nov 20th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

I know we are packing alot in, but I keep looking at the itinery and I don't have the heart to cut anything out! Vill Deprov is all booked up, so I am still on a mission for a nice reasonable place in korcula, any suggestions?

Thanks for the tip on sixt, I did check out Tiger car rentals,and carrentals.com, when are you going? thanks PJ
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Please keep me informed, I see you are going in March so I can't wait for your feedback!
Nov 20th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Here's the website where I found the lowest car rental rates. Haven't booked yet, though.

http://www.economycarrentals.com/

I will certainly keep you posted on our plans!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO