I am receiving spam due to my Fodor's mail address

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mail address that appears after my name is used exclusively on this site, and I am now receiving invitations from Nigerian "refugees" and Zimbabwean (sp?) farmers who have thousands of dollars to place in U.S. banks, or some such story. I am posting this in case you're wondering where such people might have found your address.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Yeah, you really can't post your email address ANYPLACE on the internet because it gets picked up by programs that just crawl through web pages looking for email addresses.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Spam is not necessarily being generated because you post on Fodors...it is because you have made your email address public on a web site.
Web spiders/crawlers are used by email marketing people to search for email addresses .
If spam is a problem for you, do NOT publish your email address on ANY internet site.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:45 AM

If you want to make your email available on a specific post, you can code it: jmkATmailDOTcopperDOTnet. From what I understand the web spiders don't recognize just plain text as an address--they're looking for the @s and the .s.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM
rex

There are three ways you could now be the target of such spam... and posting your e-maila ddress is only one of them...

Have you EVER sent or received even one single piece of e-mail from this address? (and if the answer is no, then why does it matter that spam is now going into this e-mail box). If you have, then your e-mail address could be harvested from the e-mail ("files&quot of any other person who ever sent to you... or received from you... an e-mail message.

And even an e-mail account that is NEVER used can be "harvested" if the "issuer" (in this case, the ISP, I assume) does not have the latest security on the mail server where your account resides.

But last of all... didn't you clarify, some months ago, that your name and address can NOT be considered to have appeared "exclusively on this site"?

From http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34551905

Author: Michael ([email protected])
Date: 01/12/2005, 01:03 pm

I just googled my address, which I had inadvertently used in Chowhound. It comes up. So Fodors is not the problem.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:58 AM
rex

Follow-up to Jocelyn... once your address has EVER appeared in pulbic.. or once you have ever received ANY spam at a given e-mail address, I don't think that "camouflaging" techniques do any good. Once any of "them" have it, it's just a matter of time until ALL of "them" have it.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Shame on Fodor's web team for exposing our e-mail addresses.

There is no reason why an e-mail address (such as the ones in our Author: lines) should be visible to spambots. Unless a page is part of a chain of hyperlinks (HREFs) that begins with the server's IP address, it simply doesn't exist for all intents and purposes.

For example: if I have a file called <b>foo.bar</b> in my IIS root directory (<i>i.e.</i> c:\inetpub\wwwroot\foo.bar), that file is <u>invisible</u> to robots unless there is an HREF link to it somewhere on the web. Fodor's could easily index the forum threads with data structures that don't build these chains.

If Fodor's content conformed to this simple rule, our addresses would be available to one another, but not to spammers. Unless, of course, they hired someone to go through web content manually looking for e-mail addresses. But that's not economically feasible.

At the VERY least, they shouldn't publish a MAILTO tag, which is what even the most unsophisticated spiders look for. Smarter ones look for @ and , and some of them even look for <b>at</b> and <b>dotcom</b> and the like, so even disguising addresses that way isn't really safe.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:12 AM

The only &quot;problem&quot; with this &quot;problem&quot; seems to be that Fodors apparently doesn't <b> warn you </b> when it says you can post your e-mail address if you want to that such posting(s) may lead to the spam, etc.

And no amount of &quot;apologizing&quot; on behalf of Fodors is going to rectify that.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Michael, will you be so kind to post those invitations on this forum for everybody to see? What a great opportunity for a nearly free (airfare only!) vacation in Africa!
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Spam is a way of life. Cope.
Some mornings seeing &quot;dearly beloved&quot; in my email box makes my day
What I'm finding amusing is that they have now taken up Yukos Oil as a scam option.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:36 AM

I don't get much spam at all. I think it's because of all the firewall and blockers etc. If I DO get spam it goes to my junk mail box and I never open anything in that mail box. Anything that is not listed in my address book goes to my junk mail folder. Having said that, I try to be as careful as I can because these days there is just NO guarantee that you can keep everything out of your computer. I frequently get attachments from my neice and nephew..sending me some joke or another..I never open them. Maybe you can get some other type of security program that will help block some of these things. I also have never seen the ads on my Foder's page that many were complaining about a couple of weeks ago.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I've revealed my hotmail address on fodors for several years and honestly don't think I get any more spam because of it. IMHO yahoo does a much better job of filtering out the spam than hotmail.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:56 AM

http://www.fodors.com/about/privacy/

I get plenty of spam on hotmail, it all goes to the Junk Mailbox so it doesn't bother me too much.
You can also google your screen name and find it on the internet, so as others say, you cannot post your email address anywhere and feel secure..
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:22 AM
ira

Hi all,

I am currently receiving spam at an eml address that I use solely for personal correspondence with friends and family.

It's unavoidable.

Old May 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM

The problem with &quot;friends and family&quot; is that no one seems to know how to cloak e-mail addresses in a broadcast. So you get a joke from your Uncle Frank that has 45 addresses in the CC: field, and he got it from Cousin Stuart, who put 38 addresses in the CC: field, and so on and on. If just one person forwards the joke to a spammer, everyone whose address is in the body of the message will get harvested.

The solution is to exhort your friends and family to put broadcast addresses in the BCC: (blind carbon copy) field. The mail still goes through, but the addressees don't know who else got it.

This is Internet 101, signing off.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I've always wished some hacker would write a diabolical virus that would go into my friends' and acquantances' computers who send me all those stupid group emails (jokes, etc) and remove my email address from their address books!
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I get the letters from the Nigerians too.
Are you implying that they're NOT going to share their millions with me?
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Must be a geographical thing - my absolutely a-mazing offers come from the Phillipines! (Liberia seems to have lost interest in me!)
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I have never had my e-mail posted on Fodors but I get about 5 spams a day.

I agree with Robespierre. When people send me emails that they have sent to others and everyones email address is shown I get very very irritated. I have gently suggested to people to use the BCC, it seems like such a simple and considerate thing to do. I don't seem to make much of an impression though as it constantly happens. Guess I have been to &quot;gentle&quot; with my requests, LOL.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Elaine, give it up. I've already contacted the Nigerians and I'm waiting for my multi-million dollar check to arrive any day now, so I think you're out of luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -