Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am Planning about to spend holidays at Windermere

Old May 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.. I am planning to spend my holidays in Windermere . Me and my wife are thinking about our holiday trip and now we have finalized the destination, it is Windermere (Lake District). Actually it is our first trip after the honeymoon, we can say it's our second honeymoon and we want to spend it in Windermere.
Now I have many questions in my mind.
1. Is the Windermere perfect destination for spending holidays with your dear ones?
2. Are the facilities of accommodation, B&B good and Which is the best B&B accommodation?
3. How is the transport system in lake district?
4. What budget is expected to spend holidays at Windermere?
If you have any more additional information about this location then please reply me. Many Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM

I stayed in Windermere a few years ago and wish I had not. It is not a great place to be. I much preferred Ambleside. I certainly will not recommend the B&B I stayed in either!
I used a car to explore so I cannot say much about public transport other than I saw a lot of small buses flying around the minor roads. The main towns are well connected by buses.
have a look at this website for a lot of good information and ideas.
http://www.golakes.co.uk/#
I like to use Booking .com and you can enter in Lake District UK (or your favoured town) and a lot of accommodation comes up.
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to ribeirasacra for your advice....!
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:29 PM

How I miss the lake District. I used to go there when I was a small boy, almost every year. Now I live in Spain so visits are nowhere near as frequent as they used to be.
Still the area I live in has some similarities with the lakes, dry stone walls 4 weather seasons a year and mountains. I do have an advantage this is a wine area.
Anyway the reason for this post is I remember one bus service I saw.
http://www.mountain-goat.co.uk/
However tours may not be your thing!
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:06 AM

We stayed at Fellside studios in Troutbeck when we went to a wedding in Windermere. Lovely studio B&B with a "continental" breakfast rather than the full English. Also simple cooking facilities in the room for if you want to make a meal your self.

www.bestofthelakes.com/

You really need a car for it though, or enjoy lots of walking.

If you are staying in one of the towns I too would opt for Ambleside over Windermere. My niece has her art shop there and it is a nice town.
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:53 AM

Windermere City???
really?
This sounds like an ad, except
I'm not sure any European would call Windermere a city.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:36 AM

I've just returned from a long weekend in the Lake District. I have to say we didn't go anywhere near Windermere! And it is complete nonsense to call it a city.
It's an extremely busy, touristy part of the Lakes, the traffic can be terrible, and there's a real mix of accommodation from very good to not good at all.
The best way to explore the area is by car. I know people say they managed well by bus but I always think about how much they have missed. But there again they won't know what they have missed! We take our car and a picnic and explore all over, stopping to admire the view, or take pictures or go for a walk, or drive along the narrow lanes.
I much prefer the Northern area, especially Keswick. And once you go west of Keswick towards Cockermouth it gets much less crowded but it stunningly beautiful.
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:37 AM

For a very romantic place to stay, take a look at this...

http://www.aphroditeslodge.co.uk/
Old May 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hetismij - i think that ethanmas's first language may not be english [german perhaps?]

adamic - i agree with Morgana that the northern lakes are less touristy and more attractive. also that you need a car to get the most out of them, though the Mountain Goat service mentioned above has been reviewed very well here recently. [try a search for it].

if you are stuck with public transport, then the southern lakes are probably more practical.
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be aware that Windermere is a large lake and has various towns dotted along its shoreline. There is Bowness, Windermere and Ambleside and the road round the lake passes through lovely scenery and in the summer, carries lots of tourist traffic.

Of course, you can take a boat across the lake to the various towns. My choice would usually be Bowness, as it has a good choice of hotels across the price range and is on the bus and boat routes. Prices vary across the board too, with guest houses up to 5 star hotels at £££'s per night. try the following for hotel choices:

http://www.golakes.co.uk/ (official toursit board website)
http://www.laterooms.com/en/k1684380...ct-hotels.aspx
http://www.lakedistricthotels.net/index.php

Bear in mind that the weather is unpredictable no matter what time of the year that you go and the only difference that you may see is that the rain is warmer. On the other hand we've had some fantastic weather there. So take clothes for all weathers. Today, Monday has been wet in the North West of England but the temperatures were around 14*, positively balmy for us!