Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am planning a trip to Croatia and getting a lot of strange reactions regarding my choice of travel destination...

Search

I am planning a trip to Croatia and getting a lot of strange reactions regarding my choice of travel destination...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am consistently surprised by the comments I have been getting from people regarding the planning of our next trip. My husband and I just got back from a wonderful trip to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Czech Republic. I am kind of known at work for all the traveling I do, so I’ve already been asked a few times about where my next trip is going to be since they all know I am already planning it. When I tell them that DH and I would like to go to Croatia next year, I get strange looks, quick judgments and then weird responses such as “why in the world would you want to go there” or “aren’t you scared because of all the problems they have had” or “what the heck is in Croatia that you would want to visit”? Of course I feel like I should defend myself, even though I know it isn’t necessary, and give them a little educational lesson on the beauty and history of Croatia. While I really don’t mind the comments, it’s kind of annoying after awhile. People make such generalized comments based solely on what they remember from the news years ago and having absolutely no real knowledge of Croatia otherwise. Now granted most of these comments come from those who think that visiting Jamaica is as exotic as they come, (and that is perfectly fine and I would never criticize them for that…to each their own), but I am still surprised by the lack of open-mindedness of some people.

I just got another comment a few minutes ago, which prompted me to write this message. Anyways, since we all obviously love to travel and many have traveled to various “unconventional” vacation destinations, I was just wondering if there is anyone else that experiences these kinds of comments when planning and what are your responses?

Tracy
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM

You certainly wouldn't be questioned about Croatia from anyone who has been to that gorgeous country. Last year my travel companion to Paris had family members tell her how rudely she would be treated (of course, they have never been past those same islands you mention). Fortunately, she believed me instead and we had a wonderful time. If I wanted to be rude back, I would just ask how recently had they visited that country and on what personal experience did they form their opinions. But, it's best to just smile and continue your trip planning. Travel is an addiction some folks just don't understand.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Uhhh..have you been on THIS site very long....some of the folks here aren't any different from the ones who work in your office..in fact they may very be the folks who DO work in your office!

Different interests for different travelers, thank goodness. It is when you start allowing those people to dictate your travel plans that you need to worry.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Many people (what I mean to say is many Americans) have very little knowledge of the rest of the world. Of course, this doesn't keep them from spouting their opinions about it! Having been to Croatia, I know that they don't know what they are talking about, since it is a very beautiful and interesting country. I think you can either ignore them or try to educate them, whichever feels best to you at the time.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Heck, I get a similar response if I say, 'we're going to Paris'...'what, AGAIN? Haven't you already been there?'

Some people just have no exposure, and possibly no curiosity, to know more.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM

It's just the perception that these people have of a war raging that has ended but they still have the images of years ago. Just ignore them as you know what it will be like. Ths is a holiday destination for many europeans as well as for sailing holidays. Anyway if they find out it may get tooo crowded keep the secret from them!

This is a similar reaction a friend gave when she heard a couple here in Ireland were going to Dubai for their honeymoon. She thought it was unsafe, Strict i.e. women should be covered and not even allowed out by themselves.....I had to tell her that lots of people go for sun/beach and shopping and that is a modern country that is welcoming to outsiders and not a strict islamic state i.e. you can get a drink at a bar in the resorts etc.

It's just lack of information. Have a fantastic trip...it's on my list of places to go.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to go about planning my great vacation to Croatia and they will all be envious when I return and they see the gorgeous photos!

SiobhanP, we considered Dubai for our trip last year and definitely got strange comments about that one as well, even though most of them admitted that they didn't know where Dubai even was!

Tracy
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Anyone who questions the safety of Croatia is way behind on their current events!!!

Croatia is just a hidden gem that people don't know about, for whatever reason. Well - not entirely true - tons of Europeans know about Croatia and vacation there.

I went to Prague a few times as a kid/teen (before the wall fell) and I can't tell you how many times teachers/neighbours/friends' parents would say, "Prague? Where is that? And why would you want to go there?"

If Croatia is going to go the way of Prague (and parts of the Czech Rep) in terms of increasing tourism - we'd all better get there ASAP!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Went to Croatia last summer and got the same responses before hand. It is amazing the amount of people that don't know that the war is over.
I just starting responding when people asked where I was going and said Central Europe. Then all people would say is -oh ok-. Never asked where in Central Europe.
You will love Croatia, it is a great country with great, friendly people.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Have a good trip, & don't care what other people say. I find that these are generally people who either a) don't travel anywhere; or b) go to the same place year after year.

They won't be interested in your photos either.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Planning my trip has been wonderful. I think Croatia looks amazing and I can't wait to visit. And you guys are right...its definitely not a hidden gem in Europe. We saw tons of commercials for Croatia when we were in Germany last month.

Leona, you are right. My DH's best friend and his wife was one of the people who couldn't believe that we would actually want to go to Croatia. Of course, they go to Destin, Florida every year but this year they decided for a "change of scenery" and chose the Gulf Shores instead!

Tracy
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:24 AM

yeah i get the same reactions but that's just people ignorance - used to annoy me but now I find it amusing.
I went to Lebanon and Syria in Sep - shoud have seen to looks I got when I told people where I was going!
Enjoy Croatia - its beautiful - one of my favourite destinations !
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Why wouldn´t you go to Croatia? Thousand of tourists from other European countries do, it is in every charter company´s brochure. I might go in July, I sort of got caught by their slogan: "Mediterranean as is once was."
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM

How can this be annoying? Do we really want everyone traveling to the same places we do? Do we want every corner of the world as popular as Bruges? Let's relish their ignorance. Rick Steves has already done enough damage.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:32 AM

I visited Croatia in 1972 and 1977 and I can assure you that Italians had pretty much "discovered" it way back then and probably much earlier. The traffic jam at the border was horrendous.

I know it's possibly rude but I like palette's suggestion of asking how recently had they visited that country and on what personal experience did they form their opinions.

Oh, I forgot to join the refrain of Croatia is FABULOUS!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
aggiemom

I must admit, when I saw you were going to Croatia I wondered "why" but more out of curiosity than shock. The problem with reading posts like yours is that my "must go to" list keeps growing!! Thanks.....

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:13 AM

I am also trying to plan trip and find people are most excited by the idea of finding someplace "new" even though of course very old and quite "discovered" by much of the world.

When my husband and I were trying to figure out where to go and I felt still drawn to Italy and Spain - we decided... Capri will be in 5 years very much like it is now but Croatia won't be......so I guess I am excited that people look at you funny. That means this theory is still true. My bet is it wont' be for long.

By the way tcreath - why don't you share your itinerary thoughts

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM

tcreath - I'm returning for my fouth time and still get odd looks ("...you're going AGAIN?...&quot but hey- it's just means I don't bump into many Americans and have get to hang out with Italians and Croatians, drinking wine, eating prust and totally relaxing.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:29 AM

When I went to Morocco in November of 2001 there were friends and family literally begging me to change my mind, and I'm sure saying behind my back that I was a complete nutcase. When I returned, some of those people actually said things like "glad you made it out of there alive." It's just ignorance. Unfortunately, it's widespread.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

I agree with everyone...I want to go to Croatia before it gets too "discovered"!

sfmaster, I am still working on our itinerary because it looks like the airfare from the midwest into Zagreb or Dubrovnik are very expensive. So as of now, our itinerary is this:

Fly into Rome; train to Ancona and catch overnight ferry to Split
3 nights Hvar
3 nights Korkula
2 nights Dubrovnik
Overnight ferry to Bari

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -