Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I am in London right now, for another 9 days. if you have any questions... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-am-in-london-right-now-for-another-9-days-if-you-have-any-questions-143956/)

beth anderson Jan 20th, 2002 11:02 AM

I am in London right now, for another 9 days. if you have any questions...

Hi all, <BR><BR>Just thought I would put this out there - I am in town now. If you have any generic (or time-specific) questions - ask away. If I can answer them, I will. <BR><BR>Beth

xxx Jan 20th, 2002 11:14 AM

How's the weather right now? I've been thinking about hopping across the pond for a long weekend visit, but not sure if it will be too miserable to provide enjoyment.

Linda Jan 20th, 2002 11:15 AM

What's the weather like?

Claire Jan 20th, 2002 11:19 AM

As a single woman, where do you stay that you find comfortable and reasonable? I'd like to visit, but am a little afraid to go it alone. You're providing braveness for alot of single women.

beth anderson Jan 20th, 2002 11:27 AM

Hi, <BR><BR>It has been pretty mild actually. Today was the first real rain in a while - but not too hard. <BR><BR>Yesterday had GLORIOUS blue skies. a little windy/nippy, but very nice. I went on a Little Venice London Walk. very pretty area, would love to really walk the canals when the flowers are out.<BR><BR>I have to admit, Claire, I have been very very lucky - I usually always (now) have friends take me (or, very very kindly enough - friends of friends, none of whom knew me before this trip - now how often can you say that??!! EXTREMELY generous and kind. )<BR><BR>that said, what parts of town would you think you would like to stay? I think Marylebone would be nice & fairly central, and I've also stayed near Golders Green as well as at the Radisson Grafton near Warren Street tube. <BR><BR>I am currently staying in South Wimbledon - v. nice area. Had only been to Wimbledon once 8 years ago so it is nice to be able to check it out again, esp. for more than an afternoon.<BR><BR>London is very visitor friendly. You will have a super time here. Londoners are very friendly as a whole I have found. <BR><BR>Beth

Judy Jan 20th, 2002 01:33 PM

Hi Beth, we will be going in late March for 6 days(whoohoo). I ordered from Amazon.uk, the Harden's Guides to Restaurants. Any new finds in the restaurant area? How about recs from your London friends? <BR>Thanks, Judy :-)

Maira Jan 20th, 2002 01:52 PM

Beth, I'm heading out to London and Paris in a couple of weeks. Museums are at the top of my list on both cities. I heard that there are a number of museums in London that are admission free. Have you heard anything about this?<BR><BR>By the way, best of luck in all your endeavors, be in London or anywhere!

Marta Jan 20th, 2002 06:12 PM

I bet most guidebooks and London tourist bureau websites would provide the information of what is free. The V&A has recently become free, but the Tate Modern, Tate Britain, National Gallery of Art, National Portrait Gallery and the British Museum are free. I hope, however, that you make a generous donation when you go, however.

beth anderson Jan 21st, 2002 12:41 AM

Hi Judy, <BR><BR>What sort of cuisines do you favor? For Indian, try going to Tooting Broadway/Tooting Bec. We had a super dinner the other night, 3 appetizers, three main courses, drinks, etc - for 26 pounds total. I even saved the card - Mirch Masala.<BR><BR>I also like Cafe Spice Namaste very much. It is close to Tower Hill tube stop. (maybe a ten minute walk).<BR><BR>I have been to Mezzo on Wardour Street - also very good. Belgo's remains a favorite for me (you can find one in Covent Garden) and there are super sushi places around town - even one in Paddington Station! I think the one in Paddington is Yo Sushi - the food goes around on a conveyor belt, which is pretty nifty.<BR><BR>There are great Thai places right on Old Compton Street too.<BR><BR>I went to dinner with Kavey and friends the other night, La Scala, near West Finchley tube (again, maybe 15 minutes walk?) as well as Poons in Leicester Square.<BR><BR>Let me know if there are other cuisines you like..<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Maira - yes, many more museums are free now. The Imperial War Museum (I try to visit this one each time I am here - if you never have, please do try to! It is fascinating.) The National Gallery is as well, the National Maritime Museum, and I think the Natural History Museum. In the tube stations they have many adverts about the new 'freebies'.<BR><BR>Have a super time in London/Paris!!<BR><BR>thanks for the kudos, I am meeting 4 people today... just heading out now.<BR><BR>:-)<BR><BR>Beth

beth anderson Jan 21st, 2002 12:47 AM

didn't complete the thought - La Scala was REALLY great Italian food. The staff was really friendly and helpful too - we all got hugs before we left.<BR><BR>Poons was good too - I think it was only 16 pounds a person, and we each got an appetizer and a main course as well as a bottle of wine and water...

Judy Jan 21st, 2002 04:49 AM

Hi Beth, thanks for the recs. We really love great Italian, Mediterranean, and French. Did you like Bertorelli's? We are staying on the Strand, so Covent Garden and Soho, will be the closest places. We are going to the theater twice, and will probably do pre-theater diiner. <BR>You are one lucky lady, thanks again, Judy :-)

kate Jan 21st, 2002 05:06 AM

Judy, I wouldn't recommend Bertorelli's (when you get your Harden's guide, I can guarantee it will get a slating.<BR><BR>Off the top of my head, for good eats in Covent Garden, try Palais du Jardin (large, smartish, noisy, seafood bar at the front, plusher restaurant at the back), cafe du jardin (quieter, cosy, French), cafe des amis (new british/french, less formal, great wine bar in the basement with a large cheese platter).<BR><BR>Soho, try Circus, or Teatro if you want to see a few stars. (both modern world cuisine). Try Red Fort for posh Indian, or Soho Spice for modern Indian decor.<BR><BR>But if I were you, I'd study the Harden's Guide in detail, it's the most reliable (and honest) restaurant guide around, and will list any new places plus any especially good for pre-theatre.<BR><BR>God I'm salivating - I'm on a 3 week detox at the moment so restaurants are definately out for me at the moment.<BR><BR>Kate<BR>London

ale Jan 21st, 2002 05:19 AM

Is St James Tavern just off Piccadilly Circus still a cool pub with great beer and food?

michelle Jan 21st, 2002 05:25 AM

Regarding Bertotelli's : We had reservations for dinner,they were not crowded but made us wait a very long time before seating us, then another long wait before bringing us menus-I ordered Risotto and when it arrived, the rice was still very crunchy-I told the waiter and was told "Madame,that is risotto-it is supposed to be crunchy"-it was not a good meal,nor was the service good,I think there are many nicer restaurants in Covent Garden.There are excellent Italian places on and around Firth Street,nearby.(ps-I live and eat out a lot in NYC-risotto is supposed to be creamy,not crunchy:)

Judy Jan 21st, 2002 05:37 AM

Thanks Kate and Michelle for the feedback. I guess I will steer clear of Bertorellis. I was also thinking about Orso and Salieri's. How about Mon plaisir? Michelle, where else did you go?<BR>Kate, I ordered the Harden's guide and should be getting it soon. I also accessed their web site, and found it very useful.<BR>Thanks for the info about them!<BR>Judy :-)

michelle Jan 21st, 2002 07:13 AM

Hi,Judy-I found my little book that I record all names of places I liked on trips.These are the names of restaurants we liked in London...<BR>13 1/2 on Beauchamp St<BR>Blue Elephant-Indian<BR>Chutney Mary-Kings Rd -Indian<BR>in Soho/Covent Garden :<BR> Giovannis (candle lit tables & opera)<BR>La Campanina-Soho<BR>Hillaire on Old Brompton Rd<BR>Bangkok-Thai in So Kensington<BR>Mandalay- Edgeware Rd<BR>Alistair Little- Soho<BR>teas/lunches<BR>Browns<BR>pubs<BR>the Wrenn Cafe in St James church<BR>The Tate Gallery Cafe<BR>Wagamamma-Japanese<BR>These are over a few years so I am not responsible for quality or if they are even there anymore :0) Happy dining!<BR><BR>

beth anderson Jan 21st, 2002 08:12 AM

ah, how could I forget WOK WOK. LOVE that place... on ken High Street, for one. Wagamama is also good, practically across teh street but also in Covent Garden among others.<BR><BR>Blue Elephant is good too.<BR><BR>what is Mandalay like? sounds really good.<BR><BR>Silk and Spice is a great Thai place - near Goodge Street as well as Camden I think.<BR><BR>more later..<BR><BR>Beth

kavey Jan 21st, 2002 08:31 AM

The silk and spice we went to Beth was in Camden/ Chalk Farm - half way walk between both tube stops.<BR><BR>(Camden Town not Camden passage in Islington).<BR><BR>I like wagamama's for a quick meal but it's a hard push not be out of there in an hour or less so if you want leisurely chat it's a no no.<BR><BR>Criterion is wonderful for the food and decor, which are both outstanding, especially on the pre theatre menu prices, but the service can be mixed, though it's always been fine when I have been.<BR><BR>Circus is one of my favourite places for a nice low key meal with excellent food and service, and the kind of place where I don't worry because if a dish is not up to scratch (a rare occurence) I know it will be dealt with politely and without agro or suggestion that I don't know how it should be cooked.<BR><BR>Funnily enough, the only dish which I had to send back was a risotto, which was also too crunchy, and they immediately took it back, apologised, and said it would be a few minutes as the chef would cook me a fresh one, and also came back to apologise again during those 10 minutes, and of their own accord, because I didn't get to eat with my companion, took the whole dish off the bill, though it was perfect second time around.<BR><BR>I went there recently with Linda (from this board) and her travel companion and we had a lovely meal before going on to the theatre. The pre theatre menu here is an absolute BARGAIN...<BR><BR>Bertorelli's - havent been for a while though service and food were good when I went. Been twice, once to Charlotte Street and once to Covent Garden, preferred the first one.<BR><BR>Used to like Brown's in St Martin's Lane but the food quality seems to have dropped substantially in the past year.<BR><BR>Will see if can think of anything else.<BR><BR>Meeting Beth in 5 minutes for tapas at El parador, just a few minutes walk from Mornington Crescent tube station, a fabulous tapas restaurant.<BR><BR>Kavey

c Jan 21st, 2002 09:04 AM

Mandalay-on Edgeware Rd, you can walk to it from the tube stop.When you get off the train and you are facing Edgeware Rd,go right...It is owned by two men from Maylasia,Dwight and Gary.Their father was in some sort of diplomatic business,their mother loved everything American..and cowboys:)<BR>The restaurant is small, you must reserve ..it is not fancy,very casual,lots of young people and Londoners who know yummy food at a good price.The food is delicious, they visit while you eat,and if you are an American they will stay and chat forever! which was fine with me, they are very interesting.Their parents now live in Sweden!! So you can imagine their conversations~do go if you can.C

bonnie Jan 21st, 2002 11:28 AM

Hi Beth - love reading about your adventures...have you heard anything about when the Millennium Footbridge might be opening again? Thanks.