Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   I am going to cry now... (Normandy help pleeeaaase) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/i-am-going-to-cry-now-normandy-help-pleeeaaase-84563/)

Kavey Aug 28th, 2000 12:24 AM

I am going to cry now... (Normandy help pleeeaaase)

I spent HOURS yesterday searching through past threads and cutting and pasting lots of info about Normandy hotels into a txt file on my desktop. <BR> <BR>I saved it as I went along so I was a bit shocked 5 mins ago when I reopened the file to find it completely empty. I have NOOOO idea how I did that. <BR> <BR>And now I want to cry, as the thought of redoing that whole search and all is somewhat soul destroying. <BR> <BR>I have Bob RWR's post which I only copied just now but nothing else. <BR> <BR>So please would anyone who has visited Normandy help me out... <BR> <BR>I am particularly looking to stay 2 night in Honfleur and 2 nights elsewhere, pref nearer Dieppe or Rouen, in a small auberge. <BR> <BR>I can recall some recommendations: Lion D'Or in Bayeux, Le Hostelerie le Chat and L'Ecrin in Honfleur (anyone also stayed in Cheval Blanc)... <BR> <BR>But I cant remember the room descriptions and the details. Also there were some recommendations of hoels on Mont St Michel... <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>I think I am going to have a cup of tea. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Beth Anderson Aug 28th, 2000 05:20 AM

Hi, <BR> <BR>are you interested in WWII? If so, stay with Colonel Chilcott in Bayeux. He is perhaps a mile (if that) out of town. Very lovely charming old manor house, and the hosts are wonderful. <BR> <BR>He is a retired British Colonel, and a historian. I greatly enjoyed the two days I spent there with a friend... <BR> <BR>he can be reached at <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>good luck! <BR> <BR>Beth

Ellen Aug 28th, 2000 08:34 AM

Please feel free to e-mail me directly. I have tons of links as I researched this area extensively for my trip in Sept. I have lots of info that can help you. Indeed in Bayeux, the Lion D'or gets great reviews. Le Chat and L'Ecrin do in Honfleur also w/ L'Ecrin being a more fancy place. In Mont St. Michel, Auberge St. Pierre was my pick after lots of good reviews. Hope this helps for now! <BR>Ellen

Beth Aug 28th, 2000 09:19 AM

Mere Poulard on Mont St Michel is my recommendation. Great staff, wonderful restaurant and the first hotel inside the entrance to the island. For info: <BR>Mere Poulard, Grande Rue, 50170 Mont Saint Michel (Le) Tele: 02 33 60 14 09 <BR> <BR>Hope this helps Kavey! Email me directly if you have any other questions I might be able to help with. <BR> <BR>Beth

Kavey Aug 28th, 2000 09:25 AM

Hi <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for your help, I have emailed Ellen already, many thanks. <BR> <BR>Beth, I recall a few posters talking about Col Chilcott and he sounds really great, but we are probably not keen enough on the history to stay with him. I want to stay more in east normandy for the first 2 nights and then 2 nights in honfleur. <BR> <BR>I actually did study history at degree level and was alwyas (and still am) particularly interested in 20C history, however to me it was always the politics and international dramas that interested me. <BR> <BR>Having said that, I also find all the holocaust stories chilling, and think perhaps it should be a compulsory lesson at school, to avoid it ever happening again. <BR> <BR>But I dont think my group woiuld be thast keen on visiting the memorials etc. <BR> <BR>I have visited some of the trench sites and bunkers and so on in picardy when i stay with my french friends, sylvain is a history teacher and fascinated with the WW2 in partic. <BR> <BR>Any other recommendations would be great. <BR> <BR>Thanks again <BR> <BR>Sorry if i sound a bit floopy, I just took some headache pills and they will hopefully knock me out soon... <BR> <BR>I know I know, I shouldnt look at a screen with a headache but I am an addict!

betsy Aug 28th, 2000 07:36 PM

Oh, Kav, you have my sympathy. You can stay at the Chilcott's without taking a tour with the Colonel. His wife, Rosemary is delightful, as is their big rambly home. Breakfast around the big dining room table (they'd just bought it when we were there) was fun. Rosemary serves breakfast bread with chocolate chips in it. Oh so good! <BR> <BR>Bon voyage

Beth Anderson Aug 29th, 2000 06:14 AM

HI Kav, <BR> <BR>what Betsy said is very true - you will thoroughly enjoy staying there, even if you are not a history nut. (though that is always a bonus, in my opinion). <BR> <BR>another possibility, if you are heading towards Paris at some point - try to stop by and see Giverny. It's about 60 miles outside of Paris. This is where Monet spent the last 40 years of his life. You'll recognize the inspiration for many of his works there! <BR> <BR>while you are at it, stop by Les Andelys, about 5-8 miles from that. <BR> <BR>good luck! <BR> <BR>Beth

Kavey Aug 29th, 2000 02:32 PM

Thank you all... <BR> <BR>And how did you all know I am often called Kav? Have I signed off like that some times? <BR> <BR>I think, tempting though the choc chip bread is, that Bayeux is further east than we would prefer... <BR> <BR>ALL of you have helped tremendously and I am really grateful... <BR> <BR>And not so desperately downhearted any more... <BR> <BR>Hey, when I am planning holidays I can never stay down too long! <BR> <BR>I have emailed some hotels and am starting to get room availabilty and prices back... All looking great!!! <BR> <BR>Thanks again <BR> <BR>Kav

Kavey Aug 29th, 2000 02:33 PM

I meant of course, WEST!!

topper Aug 30th, 2000 06:05 AM

topper Aug 30th, 2000 06:27 AM