Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am depending on someone from this site to enlighten me about the Hotel Saint Germain des Pres!!!

I am depending on someone from this site to enlighten me about the Hotel Saint Germain des Pres!!!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 03:53 PM
Rita

I have had no luck so far!! This hotel is on Rue Bonaparte. Thank you!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:04 PM
Bob Brown

It is air conditioned, has nice furniture; and it is located just north of Boulevard Saint Germain near the intersection with Rue de Rennes. Rooms run about $150 a night. A deluxe room will run you better than $200.00.
Breakfast and taxes are included.
At last report it did not cater to savages and had running water.
Just what kind of information did you have in mind?

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:18 PM
rita

This is just what I needed to hear! Thank-you!

Rita

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 05:55 PM
Jon

Bob,
I believe it's located closer to the intersection of rue Jacob than rue de Rennes.
I've posted multiple times on this hotel in the recent past. I'm sure a search of St. Ger. des Pres would be cumbersome but the info is here.
Their website is www.hotel-st-ger.com.
j.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:27 PM
Surlok

I stayed there five yaers ago. It's a very nice, small hotel, and wonderfully located, at Rue Bonaparte, between Bv. St. Germain and Rue Jacob. it's almost in front of the Eglise Sy. Germain.

When I was there, it was summer, and this was one of the very few 3 stars hotels that had air conditioning. I paid 700 french francs per night, it should have been around 130 dollars for a double room. The rooms are, most of them, quite small, but still comfortable. I'd advise you, though, to not have breakfast there. since it was quite plain and expensive for what it was. Other than this, it' is a lovely and charming hotel..

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 06:03 AM
tally ho

i just returned from this area 2 days ago. you will love it. you will be just blocks away from paris' newest shopping idea - monoprix. this is france's answer to super walmart but a very cosmopolitan walmart. we purchased many needed supplies here. also, if you'd like a very nice sightseeing experience without wear and tear on your feet, you can catch the L'Open Tour double decker sightseeing bus in front of the St Germaine cathedral. you buy the ticket from the driver, 165 ff for a 2 day pass. see all the sights of paris, hop on and off as you'd like. it was the best thing we did. wish we had done it first to get oriented.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:03 AM
marge

Tally ho, can the tickets for the Open Tour bus be purchased at any of the stops? We will be near Hotel de Ville Metro stop.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Tracey

For the Open tour, no need to buy tickets before hand, just buy them from the driver. This was a great way to get know the city.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Ursula

Marge: All info about the Open Tour can be found at the site of Paris' public transportation. Check out
www.ratp.fr
go to the English site and click on the yellow bus where it says "Open Tour". You'll find stops, time-tables, etc.
Have fun!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Marie

America is not the center of the universe--Monoprix has been around 50 years so is not France's answer to Walmart.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:11 PM
d

We stayed at this hotel last summer. It met all our needs quite nicely. Wonderful beds, well functioning air conditioning, cleanliness, and GREAT LOCAION more than made up for rather small rooms.
Be sure to try Cafe Bonaparte (on the corner) It was our favorite for people watching!
D