Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I accidentially deleted all my trip bookmarks!

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
cherylforeurope

Can't believe I did it!! Reorganizing the folders and accidentially deleted them all. Tried system restore and it didn't work and that's about the end of my computer knowledge.
We're going in 7 months and I had many I've gathered over the past 3 years. Anyone else ever do this?

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Just a dumb question from me, no techie, but the links don't go into the 'trash bin'(where you can restore them)..? is that what you meant by 'system restore'..?

I will say I do 'backup' my Favorites occasionally to a disk. I've also gotta say, I have the habit of just going to Google and not going back to the favorites to see what I've saved there...

Did you build a trip file that you can still print, at least..?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Can't help you but you do have my sincere sympathy.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:09 PM
ira

Hi cheryl,

Your deleted files should still be in the trash bin.

You can Restore them, if you can find them.

Good luck.

I hope it works out.

How often do you update your files?

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 04:18 PM

I am not sure I am understanding but if I accidently delete a website it goes into the trashbin.

When I click on the trashbin all the sites I have deleted are listed there. I have to click on empty trashbine and then click on Yes to completely delete the sites.

Of course an expert can even retrive those. Have you checked to see what is listed when you click on your trashbin?
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:35 PM

You usually have about 4 chances to change your mind when you delete a file. Normally it will ask if you really want to delete it and if you say yes it goes to the trash bin and then if you truly want to delete you go to the bin and delete again and it will ask if you are sure, and if you are, voila...it is gone. If you can't locate your trash folder, maybe you know someone who can help you and I'll bet, like the other posters, it is all in there and you can re-activate it. Good luck and let us know if you find the files.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:40 PM
cherylforeurope

Deleted bookmarks don't go in the trash bin...at least on this system they don't.
I'll just be back on the computer! Ain't technology grand??!!

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:44 PM

cheryl
did you do it via 'organize bookmarks' or
from 'my computer' or 'Start/explore'?
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:09 AM
cherylforeurope

I use Netscape and it was under manage bookmarks. I went to delete a subfolder
and had the main folder highlighted and
poof...it was gone!

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I'm sorry for your loss.

But, then again, you are just one of the two people that I have heard who actually still uses Netscape.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I guess it's too late to use "Edit" and "Undo"...
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:59 AM

According to this article, the bookmarks should have gone to recycle bin, even on Navigator..

"..In Internet Explorer, the only way to undo a deletion is to open the Recycle Bin on the desktop. Right-click the file you want, then choose Restore from the menu that appears. (You can also do this if you can't use the Undo command in Navigator.).."
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM

Is your "History" bin active? Every site you've visited is kept there for whatever period it's set for...maybe you can recover at least the last month's links that way.

By the way - there's this wonderful invention called a "backup" that saves all sorts of grief of this kind (and much, much worse). There are simple and efficient external backup units that cost considerably less than the value of the time you lose rebuilding your system when your main drive goes up to live with Jesus.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Cassandra

ezlivin -- what do most people use? I alternate between Firefox and IE -- Firefox is great but there are a few things its security measures screw up for me (like certain non-purchase financial transactions).

cherylforeurope -- use your Windows Search (icon = magnifying glass) or comparable system-search function (if you don't have Windows, I'm not much good to you), and use one of the places you've bookmarked as your search term. Be sure to open the search to ALL types of files (not just .doc files, e.g.).

For example, you might put the work "orbitz" in the search-term box if you're pretty sure orbitz.com was one of your marked pages. Put it in the box marked for terms anywhere in the file (not just "filename").

The search may take a while to go through your entire directory and all subdirectories, but some form of that bookmark list might be lurking in an unexpected place with an unexpected file name.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Cassandra:
I don't know what most people use. I just don't know anybody that uses Netscape anymore.

Personally, I have IE in my Windows-based laptop and Safari in my Apple i-Book.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:12 AM

When I used Netscape, several years ago the trashbin situtation worked the same way as outlined here. But maybe that has changed?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Ignore these naysayers. Netscape remains a superior product, albeit with a few flaws.

One of the flaws is that, on rare occasion, it will of its own volition move a bookmark folder, making it into a subfolder of another folder. To find out if this is what happened to you, open the bookmark manager and initiate a search for a known entry, such as fodors. I think the search feature is on the tools menu.

If you get negative results (try a couple, just to be sure), you probably did delete the folder. If you get positive results, your folder was not deleted, but you will have to go looking for it. Do this by expanding each folder. Eventually you will find your lost folder, and all you have to do is drag it to the right place in your hierarchy.

I'm not sure why this happens, but I suspect it is related to having too many entries in any level of the hierarchy, which can usually be solved by using subfolders and subsubfolders to organize your bookmarks.

Good luck.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Let me put in an additional vote for Firefox.

Its main advantage is that it's not IE, i.e. it is not a target for hackers. The source code is open, so anyone who can help secure it has access.

It has some nifty features - just little things that make surfing more convenient. For instance: there's a window on the address bar that allows you to type in criteria and jump directly to Google, Wikipedia, eBay, Dictionary, or any other place you like. The "Ctrl-F" search function is persistent; this means that you can scan several pages for text without having to re-enter your criteria. Bookmark management is more humane, too.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:37 AM
cherylforeurope

I don't see what the big difference is
between Netscape and Internet. We also
have Explorer and due to a flaw in this system have had problems with parasites and we had to download a
spyware program to remove them all. I
never had this with Netscape. Are you experts saying using Goggle under Internet is different then Netscape?