Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hydrofoil vs. ferry in Italy (or wherever)

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 06:42 AM
fox

Hello all. Am planning a trip that involves a lot of water travel in Italy (islands), and would like to ask those experienced with the various kinds of transport to compare hydrofoils (which I've never been on) to other boats, from the point of view of the ride (how many dramamine for each, how smooth?), facilities, etc. Most guidebooks assume you'd much rather use the hydrofoils because of time savings, etc., but I'm wondering whether they're comfortable or just efficient.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Richard

My only hydrofoil experience was from Cefalu to the Aeolian island of Lipari and the return a few days later. It was comfortable, fast and I'd do it again. We also enjoyed the ferries on the Lakes of Maggiore and Como, so there's something to be said for both!

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 07:52 AM
anne

We've used both on Lake Como. The ferry is more romantic,slow,and enjoyable. The hydrofoil is utilitarian, convenient, and fast. Depends on the need of the moment, I think.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 06:13 PM
Joanna

The ferries are good if you are going between islands or mainland/islands and there's lots to see en route, such as Naples to Ischia. However, the hydrofoils are much quicker. Had good rides Messina/Reggio and return, Milazzo/Vulcano and return but an absolutely terrifying ride from Capri to Naples (Mergellina). The weather was very bad and we rocked so much from side to side I thought we were going to flip over. Considered putting a lifebelt on my suitcase!! It took more than half an hour for us to get inside the breakwater, it was so rough.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 05:16 AM
fox

Thanks all for comments, very helpful.

Joanna: Yikes! Was that hydrofoil or ferry, what season, what kind of storm (i.e., afternoon squall or general day-long gale)?

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 07:24 AM
celeste

Yeah, Joanna, what was that Naples-Capri trip. I assume a hydrofoil? Is it always like that? We are planning to do that in April (Naples-Capri) and that really scared me. Will a ferry be better? Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 09:32 AM
Dona

For me, if I'm trying to get somewhere rather than sightsee, I prefer the hydrofoil. I found them just as comfortable as a ferry - more perhaps because they seem more modern - and they are quick.

I did that trip into Capri - it was a hydrofoil - and it was fine. I'm not sure if it makes any difference if it's a hydrofoil or a ferry (although intuitively I assume that a hydrofoil, that rides more "above" the water, may be smoother). It depends on the weather. My trip into Capri was fine. The next few days, however, the sea was very rough and no boats were landing. you have to check at the time...

Dona

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 04:39 PM
Joanna

Yes, the sea that day was bad. Not a storm but very windy on the water. We couldn't visit the Blue Grotto the previous day due to the sea conditions, although the skies were clear. I don't think its all that common for September, however, I did recall reading something several years before I did that trip about a hydrofoil flipping over in the Bay of Naples. I didn't mention that to my companion until we were safely ashore!

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 04:43 PM
Joanna

Dona - I forgot to mention that the problem was in getting into the breakwater. The ride across wasn't too bad but once we slowed down to get inside the breakwater to allow disembarkation we rocked violently for about 1/2 hour. They kept trying to bring the h/foil in, failed, and tried again and again until we finally made it.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 05:44 PM
lina

I was on a ferry from Sorrento to Capri in October of 1998 - a nice day but quite windy. The ferry rocked so much I had to hold on to my seat to keep from tipping out and they were passing out plastic seasick bags which people were using. The return by hydrofoil was not so bad, but I think it had to do with the direction of the waves. A trip from Milazzo to Lipari in October 1999 by hydrofoil was very smooth and pleasant but the windows were so scratched that it was impossible to see out. The view and fresh air is better on the ferries.