Notices

Hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrofoil from Vienna to Budapest

We are considering taking this trip (hydrofoil Vienna to Budapest) at the end of September. I understand it is a 5.5 hour trip.

Has anyone taken this trip and was it worth the extra two hours or should we just take the train?

Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 02:54 PM

Hello, We took the hydrofoil in 1999 from Vienna to Budapest and I loved the trip. I don't remember it being 5.5 hours but it may have been. I was having such a good time I guess I didn't notice. But the Danube was wonderful even though it is not blue. LOL And as you approch into Budapest you get some really nice views.

I would definitely do it again.
Old Aug 11th, 2005, 07:48 PM

The general impression of most of the posters on this forum is that the hydrofoil trip is expensive and not too interesting. Suggest you do a search on this forum for their comments.

IMO the best way to go from Vienna to Budapest is to contact Bela Lukacs (search for him on this forum for his contact information). He will pick you up at your hotel in Vienna and drop you off at your hotel in Budapest. You also will get the benefit of his advices for restaurants, etc. in Budapest. With two people, it is actually less expensive to use his service than take the train. Also quicker and a lot easier.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JerryS. I appreciate the information. I reviewed the posts and it seems the hydrofoil is not generally well received. I have already contacted Bela and have received a reply.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:14 PM

In the alternative, if you REALLY want to see the Danube by some public means of transport:

Travel 56 minutes by train, Vienna-Bratislava -- Bratislava is worth the visit -- and then take the train to Budapest.

The train takes about 2h 45 Brat-Bud and it follows the Danube "Bend" for the last bit.

My dear spouse is heading back to Bratislava and Vienna Sept 21-24 and I am hankering after a visit myself....
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately Bela Lukas is already booked for the day we need to travel from Vienna to Budapest. Anyone know of another guide who offers the same service?