Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hydrofoil from Naples to Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hydrofoil-from-naples-to-positano-332556/)

taz2001 Jun 30th, 2003 03:21 PM

Hydrofoil from Naples to Positano

Is the ride on they Hydrofoil enjoyable to any extent? Is it quiet or loud?

Would the train from Naples to Positano be a better idea? How long would it take via train? I know it takes 1 hour by Hydrofoil...

Grinisa Jun 30th, 2003 04:33 PM

There is no train to Positano. You can take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and then take a bus or cab to Positano. The hydrofoil isn't all that loud but it can be a rough ride due to choppy sea conditions.

bluefan Jun 30th, 2003 05:25 PM

Took the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento. I don't remember it being particularly noisy, but it was a bit choppy. What was really bothersome was the damn fumes from the HF, which nauseated me before I even got on.

All in all, it's still much preferable to the CV and bus to get to Positano. The horns on a SITA bus are loud and go off on every curve!

susanna Jun 30th, 2003 05:52 PM

Positano doesn't actually have a dock so they have to have very calm water to bring the boat in to the beach area. We were there in October when the weather was beautiful and the water seemed calm, but no, the boat to and from Naples/Capri was not running. When are you going because I'll
bet that during the height of the tourist season it might make more dockings in unfavorable waters.?. We ended up taking the bus and it took about 2 hours.

rayoflight104 Jul 1st, 2003 01:32 PM

I'll be going in July....

Where can i find prices for the hydrofoil?

Amanda Jul 1st, 2003 06:32 PM

Circumversuviana train from Naples takes an hour to Sorrento (1/2 hour to Pompeii from Naples or Sorrento on the same line), and then 1/2 hour by bus to Positano - spectacular scenery along the coast! The ferry docks at a cement wharf at Positano. Why don't you go each way differently!

moonviewer Jul 1st, 2003 07:12 PM

I have to say that after a lumbering, closed-in voyage from Athens to Santorini by giant hydrofoil the year before, I was not looking forward especially to the aliscafi from Sorrento to Naples last October...but I LOVED it. It's a whole different story on one of these small boats, as long as you're sea-tolerant yourself. As I wrote to a friend, it was "like flying through the clouds on Pegasus." You held on tight, as though you were on a bucking bronco, but you felt very much alive and on an independent voyage of discovery. Not everyone enjoyed it as much as I did, but the children certainly did, and sharing the fun was part of it, too. The return trip to Sorrento and the aliscafo from Sorrento to Capri were almost as much fun, and the ordinary ferry from Capri back to Sorrento paled in comparison. Maybe I was just lucky, but for me it was an experience well worth having.