hvar. what was your favorite beach?

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hvar. what was your favorite beach?

either on hvar or one of the islands (bol,palmizana,palkeni islands (which one?)...
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM

Good question bodhijack. There hasn't been much discussion on the beaches yet.

Aren't you leaving soon? Have a wonderful time!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:22 PM

my two favorites so far - Dubovica and Zavala. Dubovica is situated in a cove - along the new road between Hvar Grad and Stari Grad. You must walk down a trail to get to it - there's one restaurant, 3 houses and a beautiful peaceful pebbled cove beach. I believe bus fare is 9 kuna each way. Zavala is located on the south side of the island - you'll need either a car or a moped to get there because a bus cannot get through the tunnel. This year I plan to explore some areas around Jelsa and Stari Grad plus there is suppose to be a small island near Jelsa that sounds interesting. As for beaches in Hvar Grad - there are spots between the main town and Podstine, but all are shingle rock, a bit tricky getting in and out of the water because of the slippery rocks. Hope this helps.....
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM

Thanks Carta Pisana,

We'll check those out when we rent a car. Which islands off Hvar do you like the most??
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM

I visited Vis on a day tour and we stopped at a sandy cove beach for lunch and the afternoon, which was very nice. I'm going to Vis this September for 4 days. I stayed in Bol last September - you can catch a day tour from Jelsa (which is much quicker than from Havr Grad) - Zlatni Rat is a great day trip and very unique, if you like hanging on a beach. Along the harbor in Hvar Grad there are lots of boat tours to various spots - leaving in the morning, returning in the afternoon - pick whatever strikes your fancy and go.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

we are leaving monday a.m. (from sunny cal). thank you for the good wish! very exited! you too, images, have a great time! we plan to do bol (and thank you carta for the reminder about jelsa). do buses run regularly from hvar town to jelsa? haven't thought of vis, but we do like sandy beaches. we will check it out. i actually like to stay at a beach maybe 2-3 hours (not all day) so may look for close islands with more regular "shuttle"service. do you know of 2 beaches, palmizana and st. klement?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 04:38 PM

there isn't regular back and forth, through out the day, boat service to the Pakleni Otoci - usually a couple boats in the morning and a couple in the afternoon.

The bus station in Hvar Grad is behind St. Stephen and the Farmer's Market - just check the schedule. I'm sure there's a couple early buses to Jelsa (there may even be tours from Stari Grad - check with the Tourist Center on the square in Hvar Grad to get times for tours).

I've been to Palmizana - but the weather was a bit over cast. On St. Klement - the restaurant Dionis is run by the family of Dinko's wife - Dinko runs Menego (http://www.menego.hr/) in Hvar Grad.

All the infrastructure to get around is in place - don't worry - be flexible, go with the flow, have a couple options in mind each day - the Tourist Center is a great source of information.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM

Awhile back I checked the ferry times to Bol from Jelsa, and it was VERY early. I didn't think it would be possible to ferry over there since we were staying close to Hvar Town. Maybe a tour from Stari Grad would be the way to go if there is one. It doesn't look like Atlas does one from Hvar, only from Split. To complicated if I have the right info.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Syl

Jack,
You are going well prepared with loads of feedback from this board.Many of us are anxiously awaiting your trip report to help us for our upcoming voyage. Have a safe & wonderful time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM

There are many individual tour operators in each major town on Hvar (as well as other islands). While in Bol there must have been about 10 tour operators offering days tours to Hvar Grad, Jelsa, Stari Grad, etc. If I remember correctly - we left Bol at about 10 am - which is reasonable hour. Once again - check on the times offered by tour operators, not the ferry - two different modes of transportation.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:06 AM

Thanks so much for that tip. I thought we would have to take the ferry, which wouldn't work. Sounds like there are alot more options than I thought there would be.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Images2 -
Tours can also be used as a one way ticket between islands. My friend and I did this last September from Bol to Hvar Grad so as to avoid having to go back through Split. (I wanted to go from Bol to Jelsa but it was my friend's first time and he wanted to arrive at Hvar Grad.) It's more expensive but the convenience is great. I'm hoping to do this from Vis to Hvar Grad this year - but if there aren't any tours going to Hvar the day I need to leave I'll have to be catching a very early catamaran back to Split (sometihng like 5:30 am - groan!!) then catching the mid morning cat to Hvar Grad - not the best solution but a solution. I had looked into a private boat taxi from Vis to Hvar Grad but it was $100 US.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 03:01 AM

We liked Palminzana (sp?). It was the only place we went to off the island. We would take last boat out around noon I think or 1pm and then first boat around 4pm. (we had small kids). We went 2x. Delightful.

Beaches were not as clean as I had hoped. I am sure cleaner than lots of places in the world but still, cig butts, some trash etc. Water is still clear and gorgeous. Views while you sit on the beach amazing.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:16 AM

We are planning on going to Palmizana. This is the same thing as St.Klement right? If I have this wrong, please let me know. Are the beaches there more sand or pebbles?

I hope the weather warms soon. It's still in the 60's. I think those of you that went in May had better weather!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Pebbles and big boulders to lie on...some sand but pretty course. As others have said water shoes are a must. My husband was stung by sea urchin (not that uncommon)and we had to go to clinic to have nettles dug out. I also saw lots of folks with bandaged wrists, ankles. I think navigating the big rocks can be tricky and as always think twice before diving head first.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM

I've spent time in both Hvar and Brac and much as I liked Hvar (its everything everyone says it is), I really enjoyed Brac, and ended up spending 3 wonderful days there. I took a ferry from Split to Supetar, and then a cab ride up over the top of the island and down the other side to Bol. Bol is a small 'quiet' town (in September, but I can imagine quite lively in the busy summer months) laid out on the water as most of these quaint island towns are. Facing the water and to your right, about 1.5Km down is the unusual and famous 'Zlatni Rat' or 'Golden Horn' beach that everyone talks about. It's a pebble beach and I too reiterate the need for rubber sandals or watershoes as well as a mat to lie on. Theres lots of room for everyone and even a small section for those wanting an all-over tan which isn't very well marked off, so be forewarned in case you suddenly find yourself in a cheeky situation.

Even in September, the water was cool for me (about 22C) though it might have been the Caribbean for all the Europeans frolicking in and out. However, having come all the way from Canada, I wasn't about to let the water temperature stop me and I soon got used to it after gasping for breath each time I dived in.

The loveliest part is that between the town of Bol and Zlatni Rat runs a wonderful, wide, wooden boardwalk which meanders through the tall red pine trees alongside the sea. Terribly romantic seeing dozens of couples young and old, as well as children and others strolling casually through the evening twilight and enjoying a nighttime promenade. Set along the boardwalk are the three main hotels that house 90% of the tourists here. They are set back and slightly higher up on the hill from the boardwalk and two of them have trendy open air bar/lounges with furniture set out among the trees. I stayed in the middle one of the three hotels and enjoyed it. Heavily reminiscent of a Soviet-type past. However, if you can get a reservation at the Hotel Kastil in Bol itself - a small, expensive, castle-like establishment, go for it.

As others have said, there are many tour boats offering excursions to other nearby islands from Bol, that are not offered on websites, but the tour desk at any of the 4 hotels I've mentioned will have all the information you need.

Same goes for the ferry service. One of my pre-planning dilemmas was in trying to figure out how, at the end of my stay, to get back from Bol to Supetar in time to catch a ferry from there back to Split and then from Split to pick up my stored luggage and get on a bus to Trogir and still have some time left to get to see a bit of Trogir beforing flying off the following morning to Zagreb.

To my surprise, the lady at the hotel desk leaned over and in a manner similar to that she might employ if she were divulging state secrets, advised me in whispered tones of an early morning ferry from Bol directly to Split, which is not advertised in public anywhere as it's primary purpose is to transport commuters from the islands to work in Split. Tickets were availble to anyone willing to wait in line at 6.30 in the morning - as I did - and I arrived in Split by 7.30 am after a superspeed ride on a modern Jadrolina cat. Lots of time for an espresso, pastry and an hour to explore Diocletian's palace before picking up my bags and hopping on the bus for the 40 min trip to Trogir. I was there before 11.30am and had the rest of the day and night to enjoy and explore that lovely town at leisure.

So look out for the unadvertised trips and ferrys. You'll have a great time.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Mathieu -
Bol (and the island Brac) is a great counter point to Hvar Grad (and the island Hvar). That walk to the Zlatni Rat is wonderful - seeing the wind sufers fly across the water at the tip of the Golden Horn is mezmerizing. I spent to 5 days on Brac - visited the stone cutting school, tooled around the island, hung out on Zaltni Rat. And the Hotel Kastil is prefectly located.

http://kastil.hr/
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:35 AM

So true, Carta, so true. It truly is a lovely island and one of the coast's best kept secrets (from the West), I think.

You visited the stone cutters ? I helped make wine. Even helped harvest the grapes from up high on the mountain side vineyards (such views !) and then rode in the little van back down to the winery collective in Bol where we unloaded the baskets of grapes and emptied them into the pressers. Watched as the process continued and then drank a glass of the juice. I bought 2 bottles of wine and was given another one free for my 'help', though just being a part of it all was pleasure enough for me.

I befriended a local fisherman and as a result got to enjoy two fishing trips around the island (the views of the island from the sea are amazing, all those cliffs,) not to mention feasting on fresh grilled fish twice for lunch, once with his wife and 2 kids who were somewhat bemused at having a stranger eat with them ! I found the locals all over Croatia to be welcoming and friendly.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Mathieu - You picked grapes. I'm hoping to help with grape harvest this September either on Vis or Hvar. My friend and I rented a small boat for a day to explore some of the small coves near Bol. Had to come back early because of rough waters - the sea literally roiled, to the point of unnerving. The experience gave me a far deeper respect for the sea.