Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hvar Town Accomodations Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hvar-town-accomodations-report-716092/)

4everywhere Jun 26th, 2007 03:28 AM

Hvar Town Accomodations Report

Just back from Croatia: Hvar Town, 3 nights, part of 15 night trip. We're 46 and 51.

I want to recommend Apartment Bicanic, on the Krizni Rat area. 15 minute easy walk. The spacious one room apartment had a grapevine covered terrace (yes, with bunches and bunches of grapes hanging above our heads), exquisite view of the little island, Franciscan Monastery, the water leading into the main harbor, the Spanjola Fort (illuminated at night) perched above the town, the gorgeous rolling hills of other islands and distant coasts. We didn't look out over rooftops, except for one, just below us. A beautiful red tile. All around were pine trees, cypress, and palm trees, and more flowering bushes and plants than I can name. Parking was easy. I loved a 5 pm swim and lazy sunning on the long shore of rock and boulder beaches, dotted by concrete platforms with ladders.

This place was so perfect, and I adored the owner, Miro. I did not mind the easy walk -- good to do that before and after a big meal! However, you do walk a moment in front of the very ugly Bodul Hotel and apartment complex, which you can not see at all from Bicanic house. After passing the Bodul strip, there are lots of sobes/ houses along this lush lush coast. Once you start to move around the bend a bit, you might lose the view of the town that we had. Still, I would stay in this area in a second!

The website shows an aerial view. If any one has questions about the location, I'll be happy to answer. We never did walk to Podstine - which I understand is about the same distance, so I can't compare it. I just know I did not want to leave Bicanic.

www.hvarinfo.net/bicanic

Images2 Jun 26th, 2007 04:28 AM

Thanks so much for your glowing report!

What apartment # did you stay in?

rickandpat Jun 26th, 2007 05:00 AM

Did they have full kitchens, or at least a refrigerator? The website mentions a microwave.

4everywhere Jun 26th, 2007 01:59 PM

Ok, on two different websites, the apartment numbers seemed to be different... I was very specific with Miro in that I wanted the top level with the grapevine on the terrace. This apartment was located just above the pretty arched window apartment. I am guessing that no view can top the view we had. I think it was apartment 3.... The bathroom was great. The apartment door was at the back, and opened onto another terrace with a fire pit. We dried our clothes out there on the lines that weren't covered with grapevine...
We did not use the firepit.

Really best view of trip! Truly fantastic watching those fishing boats and yachts and sailboats and even a cruise ship that would "hide" behind the "little island"....

The kitchenette did not have a microwave, nor did it have a coffee maker. I boiled water for my favorite Nescafe Instant... which sufficed for most of our Croatia Trip -- and I'm a Sumatra Grande Extra Shot kind of person!

I think that the two lower level apartments (just above the owners digs...) might not have as grand a view, perhaps too much of the red tile roof in front, but still it would be a far better view than most places I am sure.

there is a smaller apartment next to the one we stayed in, bit it does not have the grapevine terrace (and shade).

The refrigerator is a bit larger than dorm room refrigerators -- it had two ice trays, and we almost bought a couple more... but didn't. We had chilled wine, meats and cheeses from small but adequate local market at the small fishing boat harbor in front of ugly Bodul hotel. There are some great cheese stores, and meat stores, and bakeries in town... We made full bfast of fruit, eggs, bacon, toast (no toaster), jam -- using the one single small skillet, on the small stove top.

But oh that view!!!!
Like I said, in the late afternoon we would go down to the shore, oh about 2 minutes at most to get there and pick a spot. It would have been good to have big beach towels...We would take our wine and plastic cups, and of course I took my sketch book and water colors.

It was fun sketching topless -- some were topless, others not -- and further down the coast, total au naturale was perfectly fine, where each bather had his or her own little nook... It just depends how far you want to walk -- eventually you round the bend and find that lovely view of the lighthouse!

Parking, though easy for us, is another story if any one is interested. Miro was quite impressed that we "found" the place with no map, and even more impressed that we "found" the parking that we did... But I study website fotos and can thereby know pretty much where to go when we get there....

Good luck ya'll.
Croatia is so wonderful. The people are lovely and endearing. I just wanted to hug them!

4everywhere Jun 26th, 2007 02:31 PM

One more thing... the walk is flat, totally flat. You follow the coast to the town. I loved walking the alleys in town, and the lovely little restaurants, and of course, the walk itself up to the impressive views from the rather unimpressive Spanjola Fort... but views to die for, and a great walk along switchbacks through a real varietal landscape of exotic plants, trees and bushes.. a little chapel along the way, where we stopped to sip wine we had picked up along the way in the upper part of town. I loved it!