Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hvar to Dubrovnik - Ferry or Bus from Split? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hvar-to-dubrovnik-ferry-or-bus-from-split-621831/)

brenhur Jun 8th, 2006 12:26 AM

Hvar to Dubrovnik - Ferry or Bus from Split?

Hi, i would like some recommendations. Should I get a ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik? If so, what sort of ferry is it? Is it comfortable? How long does it take? and is there a website i can look at timetables?

OR

Would you suggest I ferry to Split and get a bus down to Dubrovnik? Again, is there a bus timetable or website i can go by?

Thank you!!

Images2 Jun 8th, 2006 05:52 AM

Here is the bus schedule web site.

http://www.ak-split.hr/EN/vozni.red/...dDolazaka.aspx

CollK Jun 8th, 2006 06:34 AM

We took the ferry from Dubrovnik to Hvar last October and at the time I complained bitterly about it but after reading stories about the bus I think the ferry might be the way to go. Its long -- about 7 hours -- but you can move around, sit inside (but it'll be smokey) or outside, get a snack, go to the restaurant for a meal and most importantly use the restroom whenever you want to. The portion from Dubrovnik to Korcula was very crowded but it thinned out after that. Another hint.... there was a long line for the restroom at one point but I just went downstairs where the cabins are and used the public toilet down there -- no line.

The ferry we were on is big -- it goes up and down the coast and you can overnight on it so there are cabins as well -- as far as I could tell none of them were occupied though. It has a restaurant, snack bar and inside lounges and outside decks. Do a search and you'll find the web site -- I just don't know it off hand.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

LowCountryIslander Jun 8th, 2006 06:45 AM

Brenhur,

I will be taking this ferry in September, so can't comment on the type of ferry or it's comfort. But as CollK said it is a 7 hour ride.

Jadrolinjia is the ferry company and they have a website with schedules. I believe the website is www.jadrolinjia.com

I am taking the ferry that leaves Stari Grad (on Hvar) at approximately 9am and it is scheduled to arrive in Dubrovnik at about 4:15pm. This ferry does not leave from Hvar Town.

I purchased my tickets over the internet from the German ticket agent Ocean24 (www.ocean24.co). The price was the same as if I bought it at the ferry terminal and there was no shipping and handling fee. I received the tickets in less then a week that were mailed from Germany. I orginally was just going to buy the tickets when I was in Hvar, but since it was easy to purchase from Ocean24 I did it that way.

Hope this is a bit helpful for you. :)

LowCountryIslander Jun 8th, 2006 06:51 AM

Oops...

Here is the correct website for Jadrolinija:

www.jadrolinija.hr

LowCountryIslander Jun 8th, 2006 06:54 AM

Sorry...I'm not "on the ball" today.

Ocean24 correct website is:
www.ocean24.de/ferry/start.jsp?language=en

Ryetee Jun 12th, 2006 12:31 AM

We've just had 5 days Durbovnik/Korcula/Hvar/Dubrovnik by car and ferries. The Dubrovnik/Korcula/Hvar/Split ferry is a vehicle ferry (more of a ship!) and can carry a large number of persons as well as vehicles. We had no problem with getting tickets for a ferry the same day BUT we were there just before the season. Book so soon as you can would be my comment even though this does reduce your felxibility. There's good public transport to/from the ferries at each stop. They run strictly according to the timetable. I would do your planned trip by ferry.

clairobscur Jun 12th, 2006 06:02 AM

I'm not sure what are the problems hinted at in a previous post about travelling by bus from Split to Dubrovnik but I must say I loved doing so since the coast was so gorgeous....

Angela_m Jun 12th, 2006 06:34 AM

My daughter & I just returned from Croatia and we debated this part of our trip for some time, in fact there is another post about this very subject. Both the ferry and the bus sounded equally bad, so while we were there we figured out that renting a car for three days turned out to be our best option. We needed to go from Dubrovnik to Trogir and then to Split to catch a flight. When we factored in all the expenses of the bus/ferry and getting to/from the airport, etc., the car did not cost very much more and we got to stop in little towns on our way. We rented through autoeurope.com.

aprillilacs Jun 12th, 2006 07:19 AM

We did both on our recent trip -- took the 7-hour ferry from Hvar (Stari Grad) to Dubrovnik, and the 5 1/2-hour bus ride from Dubrovnik to Trogir. We preferred the ferry because you could walk around, sit inside or out, soak up the sun, view the gorgeous scenery, and get coffee in the lounge and a decent meal in the dining room. Plus we got a peek at Korcula (though the stop there was too short for us to disembark). There was nothing wrong with the bus, except that the road was very windey, the driver took the corners kind of fast, and there was nothing to do except look out the window (sit on the left if you are going from Dubrovnik north), albeit the scenery was lovely. Oh, and we got to go through Bosnia for a few minutes!

So it all depends on what your personal preference would be. Great scenery either way.

nycerin Nov 14th, 2006 09:46 AM

I'm thinking about taking the bus from Split to Dubrovnik only because I can't find a ferry to take me from Hvar to Dubrovnik this coming Sunday.

I'm afraid of driving along cliffs!! Does the bus drive along a cliff?? I'm scared of crazy bus drivers.

What side of the road do they drive on in Croatia?

Thanks!!!